• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I went to the taste last year, i wanted to excercise my second amendment rights but I didnt chance getting screwed like this guy will be. Last year no check points, it only will get worse with a biased media and administrations with agendas. But without more of us standing up for our rights. I dont think a state, city, government building or school should prevent our rights! If its the first, second or whatever, why does anything have a right to take away a right!!!!

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    AFAIK, NO you cannot even drive through the city with a pistol in the car, unloaded, ammo separated and locked up...

So how do I take my 'items' to Wisconsin to visit relatives?:n00b: I would keep the ammo seperated from the 'item' and therefore by FEDERAL law I can pass through Illinois. :rockwoot:(NOTE) I spend NO money there except the damn tolls!:D

Personally I think Indiana should recind recognition of Illinois drivers licenses. Illinois residents cannot be trusted with 4000+lb death machines on our highways. Any of you who drive in the northwest corner of our state will agree with me. These people, while licensed in their state, are a menace to public safety. They need to be pulled from their cars, arrested in front of their kids, have their property impounded and criminal charges filed. What goes around comes around. [rant off]

:ingo:

Would this make a statement or what!!:yesway:

:cheers:

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Anybody that lives 40 miles from Chicago, and thinks they can carry there on their Indiana LTCH is way too stupid to be packin' anyway. What else about the laws on self-defense dosn't he know? Maybe this is the least painfull way for Shrome to get an education, and probably good for the public at large. After Chicago gets done with him, he won't need to know the legalities of carrying anywhere.
    Anyone who pays any attention to the media, state-run or otherwise, should know that Chicago has strict handgun laws.

LTCH or not, in this day and age, with information at your fingertips 24/7, crossing state lines and getting nabbed like this is ignorance, pure and simple!

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In the very least, the national highway system needs to allow for people to carry from point A to point B, regardless of the illegal laws one is passing through.

Lt. Commander

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Ft. Wayne * Aboite
    One more fine example why I will never spend a penny of my money as a visitor in that city or step foot in that state for that matter, I'll keep it all in Indiana thankyou....

Scott

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    WOW. You should read the complete first sentence! ;)

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof..."

Chicago is a political subdivision of a State and has banned firearms. Don't bother trying it. If you do, let me know how it goes.

You may get out easy but you WILL lose ALL rights to buy or carry firearms ever again- being charged with a felony rules you out on a 4473.

Last edited:

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Is this how this site works? Questions of gun laws come up and someone will link or quote something he believes supports his incorrect assumption without realizing it's doing the exact opposite? I just hope whoever needs the knowledge actually reads what's put in front of him or her...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof..."

Chicago is a political subdivision of a State and has banned firearms. Don't bother trying it. If you do, let me know how it goes.

You may get out easy but you WILL lose ALL rights to buy or carry firearms ever again- being charged with a felony rules you out on a 4473.

If that's what § 926A means, then it's meaningless. If "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof" means you have to obey all state and local laws while doing so, then the law could be rephrased to say:

If it's not against any other laws, you are entitled to transport your firearms provided you do it in such-and-such a way.

You are already legally entitled to do anything you want, provided that it's not against any other laws. Why would we need a law to tell us that again? If it wasn't already against some state or local law to have the firearm in your car, then you could carry your pistol on your hip ... no need to have it inaccessible and unloaded as outlined in § 926A.

Can you point to any books, websites, court cases, or anything else that agree with your position on § 926A?

(Btw, regardless of what § 926A means, I'm not saying that the Chicago PD wouldn't arrest you. Federal law is, in a certain sense, words on paper; you will find that a poor defense from an armed man or woman with handcuffs at the side of the road.)

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Hypocrites. If any of this happened to you, you'd want to get a lawyer and take it to the supreme court decision similar to DC VS. HELLER. I don't care if the dudes name was Shroom Lafonda Jackson Jones. If he isn't a felon, he has a constitutional right to carry a loaded gun to protect himself and his family. Yes, you should know the gun laws. Yes, they are wrong... yes you have to play by the book. It doesn't mean that it is right that you have to play by the book.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Can you point to any books, websites, court cases, or anything else that agree with your position on § 926A?

This seems to support your position, PT,GB. I'd be interested in seeing any case law. From NRA-ILA:
    [SIZE=-1]ILLINOIS--A nonresident is permitted to transport a firearm provided it is unloaded, enclosed in a case, and not easily accessible. A nonresident may possess a firearm for licensed hunting, or at a Department of Law Enforcement recognized target shooting range or gun show.

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]The City of Chicago requires all firearms possessed in the city to be registered. Handguns not previously registered in Chicago cannot be registered. Oak Park, Evanston, Morton Grove, Highland Park, Wilmette, and Winnetka prohibit the possession of a handgun. Firearms may be transported under the general rule through Chicago for a lawful recreational firearm-related activity.
    [/SIZE]
    NRA-ILA ::

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center

You are right. That is a very big "Notwithstanding"

Heres how it goes in Chicago: NRA-ILA ::

The City of Chicago requires all firearms possessed in the city to be registered. Handguns not previously registered in Chicago cannot be registered. Oak Park, Evanston, Morton Grove, Highland Park, Wilmette, and Winnetka prohibit the possession of a handgun. Firearms may be transported under the general rule through Chicago for a lawful recreational firearm-related activity.

Please let me know if I am wrong on this too. I agree,theres nothing worse
    than someone quoting bad legal advise. They passed a law in the late 80's that that I understood to cover all interstate transportation, with no exceptions... I guess I was wrong.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Is this how this site works? Questions of gun laws come up and someone will link or quote something he believes supports his incorrect assumption without realizing it's doing the exact opposite? I just hope whoever needs the knowledge actually reads what's put in front of him or her...

Your'e looking at how this site works. I F****D up, and you called me out on it.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Regardless...

When a person purchases a handgun (or any weapon) with the intent of using it for personal protection (or any reason) it is their responsibiliy to know the laws. This would include all areas in which they intend to travel. As always...ignorance of the law is not a criminal defense.
    He made himself a criminal in the State of Illinois by breaking the law, that was his responsibility to know.
    I feel for him in some aspects, but he brought it to himself.
    Any gun packing Hooiser who lives any where near Chicago knows guns are not allowed and if they don't, I am not sure I want them carrying a gun.

If you don't know ask (a person familiar with the subject), and then ask someone else again to make sure that person was full of S&%T.

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Your'e looking at how this site works. I F****D up, and you called me out on it.

I didn't mean to call you out on it. It was a simple question. I guess since I quoted you and you happened to have been the one to do it, you have every right to be defensive but just know, I wasn't doing it to be a jerk.

Looking through old threads, I have seen this happen a lot with no resolution and end up wondering how many people are confused at the end.

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I believe what you have in read states that

Chicago allows handguns that are registered (ie, they are legal to have).

Handguns that were not registered on time cannot be registered.

"Firearms may be transported..." deals with legal firearms, not illegal ones, not unregistered ones, etc.

Basically if YOUR firearm was not registered in Chicago, it can't be and therefore cannot be possessed in the City.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    OK, Bulgy74, I see how you read that, but the Chicago Municipal code 8-20-010 states:
    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or maintain in any vehicle, or about his or her person except when on his or her property or in his or her residence or fixed place of business any rifle, shotgun, or other firearm; provided, that this section shall not apply to:
    (10)Transportation of weapons broken down in a nonfunctioning state.
    and then section 8-20-015 says:
    The owner of a motor vehicle that contains an unregistered firearm, a firearm that is not broken down in a nonfunctioning state, or a laser sight accessory shall be liable to the city... yadda yadda yadda...This subsection shall not apply: ... (3)If the owner proves the presence of the firearm was permissible pursuant to paragraphs (1) through (10) of Section 8-20-010 or, in the case of an unregistered firearm, the firearm was exempt from registration under subsection (b) of Section 8-20-040...
    And Section 8-20-040 says:
    (a)All firearms in the City of Chicago shall be registered in accordance to the provisions of this chapter. It shall be the duty of a person owning or possessing a firearm to cause such firearm to be registered. No person shall within the City of Chicago, possess, harbor, have under his control, transfer, offer for sale, sell, give, deliver, or accept any firearm unless such person is the holder of a valid registration for such firearm. No person shall, within the City of Chicago, possess, harbor, have under his control, transfer, offer for sale, sell, give, deliver, or accept any firearm which is unregisterable under the provisions of this chapter.

(b) This section shall not apply to: ... (5) Any nonresidents of the City of Chicago participating in any lawful recreational firearm activity within the city, or on his way to or from such activity in another jursidiction; provided, that such shall be unloaded and securely wrapped and that his posession or control of such firearm is lawful in the jurisdiction in which he resides;
    Which I take all this to mean that if the weapon is disassembled, and in a locked case with ammunition stored separately, and inaccessible to driver or passengers, and does not include laser aiming devices, and the carrier is legal to own the firearm in his home jurisdiction, it is OK to pass through Chicago (but not stop).

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ordinances/chicago.pdf

Top Bottom