• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I stopped posting on here after getting negative reputation for agreeing with a police officers blog entry. I still visit and read posts periodically though. Just before that happened I had asked about Arizona permit training requirements and had gotten what turned out to be incomplete information. I don't really care about my reputation in the electronic world, but I figure I ought to let other Hoosiers know about this stuff for the real world. I searched and did not see any reference to the revised AZ regulations...

I'll try to not make this too confusing but there are so many possible combinations. I am all about getting the most bang for my buck - in this case, as much reciprocity as possible for effort and cash. I have a Utah non-resident permit. This gives me several states - but not NM or KS. Now the FL permit will give you those for a price. I want them, but I don't want to pay for a FL permit. Instead, you can pay $60 and get an AZ permit without too much trouble. Several types of training can suffice, including(!) any NRA basic pistol training (which is what I'm using to get one). This recently changed from their old requirement of having a AZ approved training conducted in AZ. The regulation covering this is located at:

13-3112 - Concealed weapons; qualification; application; permit to carry; civil penalty; report; applicability

Specifically 13-3112 (N) 4

"4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course."

I still intend to keep my UT permit active. The funny thing is, the UT permit includes WA and MN but not KS or NM. The AZ permit is the exact opposite! So here's the cut and dry. To renew my AZ AND UT permit will cost a total of $53 every five years. The FL permit will cost $117 every 7 years for the same states, except you still won't be able to carry in MN. It is definitely a rediculous patchwork of regulations to sort through. I like this site to do it graphically:

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

Hope this helps some travelling Hoosiers...

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    The Arizona permit covers how many states? What are the states it covers? Some guy at my work went to Richmond for a several hour class to get some out of state permit

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I stopped posting on here after getting negative reputation for ...

... The regulation covering this is located at:

13-3112 - Concealed weapons; qualification; application; permit to carry; civil penalty; report; applicability

Specifically 13-3112 (N) 4

"4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course."

Hey, at least your rep is in positive territory! :yesway:

In looking at paragraph N subsection 7 in the doc you cite above, I wonder if either a copy of a UT or FL permit would satisfy the req since they have a training req for initial issuance.

Edit:
    After a little follow-up poking around, this page makes me think NOT, since "The course is a minimum of 8 hours in length and is taught by a CWPU authorized instructor. You must qualify with a handgun firing live ammunition."
    Obtain a New Concealed Weapons Permit - Arizona Department of Public Safety

BTW - AZ makes no distinction between resident and nonresident permits as I read it.

Last edited:

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Hey, at least your rep is in positive territory! :yesway:

In looking at paragraph N subsection 7 in the doc you cite above, I wonder if either a copy of a UT or FL permit would satisfy the req since they have a training req for initial issuance.

Edit:
    After a little follow-up poking around, this page makes me think NOT, since "The course is a minimum of 8 hours in length and is taught by a CWPU authorized instructor. You must qualify with a handgun firing live ammunition."
    Obtain a New Concealed Weapons Permit - Arizona Department of Public Safety

BTW - AZ makes no distinction between resident and nonresident permits as I read it.

At least I don't have to feel embarrased if I want to post something now :) You noticed the same thing I did...the wording is:

"7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance."

It only says "a training requirement" - technically it doesn't specify what kind of training. I wondered if my UT permit would work, so I asked them. Whoever answered the phone told me that any permit will work as long as it had a training requirement that involved live fire. They did not specify a minimum time requirement for the training, and I did not ask. I guess it would be good to double check about that 8 hour requirement.

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    When i lived in Avondale AZ. I went to Shooters World for the class. I burned a entire Saturday in the class (8 hours with a live fire qualification 5 shots at 5 yards and 5 shots at 10 yards must get all 10 shots in a square and written test you must pass) That was December of 2007. here is a link to shooters world. Shopping Cart - Product Details
    Call (800) 256-6280 to speak to a AZ DPS person in the permit department if needed.

Top Bottom