• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Anyone here familiar with getting an Arizona non-resident permit? I was doing some tinkering with combinations of permits to add to Indiana (using the usacarry.com website), and I think I like the combination of Indiana, Utah, and Arizona. Arizona includes New Mexico and Kansas, which I am fairly likely to find myself in. I'm already signed up for a Utah class, and it does give MN and WA which arizona does not. I also figure that if IL or WI get a permit system, the higher AZ training requirement might suffice for these states as well? Who knows.

If anyone is familiar, what is the best method locally to fulfill the training requirement? It sounds like any NRA basic pistol class will suffice from what I have read.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    To the best of my knowledge, Arizona recently abolished all constitutional requirments to have a carry permit, and AZ honors IN, anyway.

The best source I have found for up-to-date permit information is:
    Handgunlaw.us.

With an out-of-state Florida permit, add the following eight states:
    DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, VA, WA, WV. Note: KS and NM honor FL permits but not UT permits.

With an out-of-state Utah permit, add the following seven states:
    DE, MN, NE, OH, VA, WA, WV. Note: MN honors UT permits but not FL permits.

So, if Kansas and-or New Mexico are important to you, the Florida permit is the way to go.

However, if Minnesota is important, the Utah permit is the right one.
    For the other six common states (DE, NE, OH, VA, WA, WV) either FL or UT will work.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    so with a fl permit i can conceal carry in ohio and va??? how do i get one?
    To the best of my knowledge, Arizona recently abolished all constitutional requirments to have a carry permit, and AZ honors IN, anyway.

Handgunlaw.us.

DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, VA, WA, WV. Note: KS and NM honor FL permits but not UT permits.

So, if Kansas and-or New Mexico are important to you, the Florida permit is the way to go.

For the other six common states (DE, NE, OH, VA, WA, WV) either FL or UT will work.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto

Handgunlaw.us.

You can also check USA Carry

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    The last I read, one must attend a training class in AZ for the AZ permit, whereas the FL permit requires one of a number of training courses (NRA, hunter safety, DD214, etc.) & UT requires completion of a course from a trainer they have certified.

I keep hoping that one day these silly restrictions on where a law abiding citizen can carry their gun! Ones rights should not be infringed when crossing a state line or a property line.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There are still circumstances in Arizona where having a gun permit is required. The one (only?) that comes to mind is being in a restaurant that serves alcohol. You can't drink in AZ in a restaurant while carrying, but if you have a permit, you may be OK to be in that restaurant. Without a permit, I don't think you are.

The various Indian tribes in AZ may also recognize your permit (varies by tribe ... some explicitly do and some probably don't). This matters because huge areas of AZ are under the law of a tribe, not the State of Arizona. For the tribes that do recognize permits, I suppose they are more likely to recognize your actual issued permit as opposed to your assertion that "the AZ constitution and AZ law says I can carry", since neither of those apply on their land.

Arizona still issues permits. I believe that they do issue permits to non-residents, but (here's the rub) until recently they only accepted training classes that were conducted within the borders of Arizona. I think the current law allows for some non-AZ classes to be accepted, but I've not found any info on whether this is really happening or which classes those might be.

Another reason why AZ residents might want to get their state's permit: I believe that (unlike Indiana's LTCH) AZ's permit exempts one from the NICS check when buying a firearm. If you have an AZ permit in AZ, you won't be delayed or denied when buying a gun. (Still have to fill out the 4473 though.) Indiana's LTCH doesn't do that for two reasons, I think: the ISP doesn't do NICS checks when issuing the permits, or something like that, and no state's permit is a valid waiver of the Federal background check for more than five years since its issuance, so a Lifetime LTCH would eventually "run out" for that purpose anyway.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom