• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side

Bag 'o gun showed up today from Sarco. Numbers matching Argentine with a new barrel. Everything minus the upper and a flash hider.

Now I just need to decide if I want to:

Order a Coonan upper with a custom s/n to match everything else
    ...or try to see if I can track down the original Argie upper (there's a list on falfiles)

I may build on a Coonan, and buy a cheaper non-numbers matching kit. If I find the original upper, I'll reunite it, then use the Coonan to build a SBR with the cheaper kit. If I don't find the original Argie, buy another receiver and SBR the cheaper kit.

With my wedding coming up in April, it might be a month or two before I order the upper from Coonan, if I can wait that long. Going to see if I can pick up any tools and a .308 go/no-go gauge at the 1500 next week.

Then try to track down some US made parts to make it 922r compliant. :rolleyes:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, back when kits were plentiful I got a Argy kit and built it on a Gear Logo receiver. I had four other FAL's in my collection and when the sad time came to sell off some of my firearms to pay medical bills, The Argentine was the one I kept of the five. I built all of mine full length and did the 922r dance with them. I was happy doing it this way. I admit there was easy access to receivers and compliance parts at the time. If I can get a place to take a decent picture of it I will post it up for you.

I suppose the whole SBR thing never really grabbed me. I lived in Illinois most of my life and until recently there were no SBR's there unless you had an FFL and an SOT. I had those things for a while but spent more time working on them for the various police forces than shooting or building any up as samples. I still am not all that up on SBR's though SBS's and AOW's have a strange allure for me.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    From what I gather, 922r on these isn't that bad, a fully made US mag counts as 3 parts and the upper is going to be a 4th. I think I have to come up with 6 or 7 for this. Most replace some fire control parts and furniture and call it a day.

I've always liked SBRs. I plan on building a .458 AR when those parts finally start to become available again. I want to at least get a FAL kit purchased for that, they're getting more scarce/expensive all the time.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I probably have a few mags I can let you get for an even trade of another FAL mag (just this person plaes). I changed out floor plates and followers on all of mine because my Israeli light barrel needed a part and I didn't like any of my other options. Now that all I have is the one I don't need special mags.

If there is a chance of sun sometime soon and I can get a decent. dry place to lay the rifle, I will shoot some pix of it for you.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    wow small world, i work with a guy who ordered the same kit, and he had it sent to work, and it arrived today, and he had the day off, it was sitting in my office waiting till monday when he was due back to work, i called him and told him it was here and he made the 25 min drive to pick it up,

brand new and numbers matching!, the threads on the bbl were a little bugered up but its fixable

he's think's he's going to order the coonan lower since they'll make the sn match the other parts

DAMMIT NOW I WANT ONE!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Awesome, I'd love to see it. And I appreciate the offer, we may have to talk once I get deeper into this build.
    I've built more than the five for myself. I may even be able to get my old partner to let me use his equipment to build one though he's likely to ask for money and want to do this himself (with my help like usual). LMK about the magazines and if I can find any other compliance parts laying around I will let you know. Like I said, when these were more plentiful, along with G3's and AK's I tended to buy my compliance stuff in bulk. Then I moved to IN and no longer really know where it all is anymore so it is like an archeological dig at my house now. :)

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro

Bag 'o gun showed up today from Sarco. Numbers matching Argentine with a new barrel. Everything minus the upper and a flash hider.

Now I just need to decide if I want to:

Order a Coonan upper with a custom s/n to match everything else
    ...or try to see if I can track down the original Argie upper (there's a list on falfiles)

I may build on a Coonan, and buy a cheaper non-numbers matching kit. If I find the original upper, I'll reunite it, then use the Coonan to build a SBR with the cheaper kit. If I don't find the original Argie, buy another receiver and SBR the cheaper kit.

With my wedding coming up in April, it might be a month or two before I order the upper from Coonan, if I can wait that long. Going to see if I can pick up any tools and a .308 go/no-go gauge at the 1500 next week.

Then try to track down some US made parts to make it 922r compliant. :rolleyes:

First off, good to see some other FAL lovers out there. You should order the Coonan upper tomorrow. It will likely be several months before you get it and they don't charge your card until it's ready to ship. Just make sure you call rather than doing it online so they wait to charge your card. FALs are very difficult to get to run correctly with a 16" barrel let alone an SBR. I would not even consider it.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    How much would a kit like that run? You have peaked my interest.

Sarco Argie kits are 600 for numbers matching and 550 for non matching. Enterprise has Imbel kits for ~400 depending on options.

Love the reviews, but not the price. How is their customer service nowadays?

No complaint s so far.
    First off, good to see some other FAL lovers out there. You should order the Coonan upper tomorrow. It will likely be several months before you get it and they don't charge your card until it's ready to ship. Just make sure you call rather than doing it online so they wait to charge your card. FALs are very difficult to get to run correctly with a 16" barrel let alone an SBR. I would not even consider it.

I knew it would take a couple of months and I needed to call, but not that they didn't charge until its ready to ship. Good info, thanks. I aware that getting a SBR FAL to run reliably can be a challenge and I dontbmind. I'm youngish so I'vegot plenty of time lol

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You know, my brain isn't what it was, my FAL is actually an Imbel kit on a Century imported Imbel receiver, unmarked. Meaning it simply says Century imported it and it says "Made in Brazil".

Also, I have a couple of G3's yet built on good, receivers. I should sell one of those...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    main.php

Took about $500 to build

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Sarco Argie kits are 600 for numbers matching and 550 for non matching. Enterprise has Imbel kits for ~400 depending on options.

No complaint s so far.

I knew it would take a couple of months and I needed to call, but not that they didn't charge until its ready to ship. Good info, thanks. I aware that getting a SBR FAL to run reliably can be a challenge and I dontbmind. I'm youngish so I'vegot plenty of time lol
    400 for an Imbel kit? Thanks for giving me more ideas to blow money on. lol. I have a Century mutt L1A1 with the original Aussie barrel that shoots like hell. I wanna build a Frankenstein now.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    They are only difficult to get running if you dont modify the gas port or convert to short gas. (I guess this would be difficult if you didnt have the tools as I dont right now. lol)

MAG58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    I should have all the parts to get this running if/when you need them. I just need to dig them up: Barrel wrench, receiver wrench, extractor tool (unless you like finger lac's or impaling your hand with a screw driver, some do who am I to judge), rear spring tool, Go/No go and pins. PM Me when you need them and I can probably up end the garage. I cannot turn the face on the barrel if it will not clock correctly, however. I wouldn't say that a 16in bbl is that difficult to get to run correctly, but it is time intensive getting the gas settings and gas port size just right. Much shorter than that and you've created a wildly expensive method of forearm hair removal.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    main.php

Took about $500 to build

very nice. The days of $500 FALs are becoming very very very rare.

400 for an Imbel kit? Thanks for giving me more ideas to blow money on. lol. I have a Century mutt L1A1 with the original Aussie barrel that shoots like hell. I wanna build a Frankenstein now.

Better move quick. They've already bumped the prices up $50... the basic kit was $325 now it's up to $375 + shipping.

I should have all the parts to get this running if/when you need them. I just need to dig them up: Barrel wrench, receiver wrench, extractor tool (unless you like finger lac's or impaling your hand with a screw driver, some do who am I to judge), rear spring tool, Go/No go and pins. PM Me when you need them and I can probably up end the garage. I cannot turn the face on the barrel if it will not clock correctly, however. I wouldn't say that a 16in bbl is that difficult to get to run correctly, but it is time intensive getting the gas settings and gas port size just right. Much shorter than that and you've created a wildly expensive method of forearm hair removal.

Actually, that could help me out a lot. I'll shoot you a PM, thanks for the generous offer!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    yeah, I know a $500 FAL is hard these days. That was ten years ago and more than a few new BATFE ruling to curtail our liberties without needing to go through Congress while making this ruling have Force of Law.

If you want to switch mags with me, mag for mag, mine have USA followers and floorplates, LMK Corp D...

Top Bottom