• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Lot of folks go to the full distance Atterbury Appleseeds way underprepared or horribly overprepared. I carried so much crap with me on my first trip to Atterbury I could have outfit three guys. Fear not, I am here to help.

Remember this, it is the motto for Atterbury Appleseeds:

Everything you need and nothing you won't use.

If you are thinking about taking one rifle to shoot and one rifle as a back-up, go to your bathroom, shower off the dumb, and bring the rifle that works every time. You don't need two, you need one that works. If you are thinking about bringing a couple different kinds of sights....grab the Head and Shoulders again. You need proper clothing, your rifle, ammo, two mags, something to write with, something to write on, chow and water. Cleaning kit? If you need it, but it better be bare bones and a proven necessity. New boots? Hello sore feet, nice to see you, its been a looong time. Fancy pants you don't want dirty? Save them for the clubs.

Everything you need and nothing you won't use.

Here is a taste of what you will get into.

Your shoot boss is a knowledgeable fellow. He shoots borrowed rifles.
    8088360476_eed8a4744d_c.jpg

He shoots them pretty well (those are his 500 yard sighters, all three of them on the V-Ring)
    8088365680_d4c6c0ae26_c.jpg

Everything you need and nothing you won't use means that a Rifleman owns his 500 yards any time, any where with a rack grade rifle and rack grade ammo. This guy proved it with mixed surplus ammo from three different decades. You can too.
    8088362397_8b79ca433f_c.jpg

400 yard line. A Rifleman and an M1A and nothing he won't use.
    8088361741_3b3fd0d104_c.jpg

What kind of focus does that 400 yards take?
    8088358059_9ec8903876_c.jpg

This kind
    8088357563_c2cd0bd074_c.jpg

Hey! Don't I know you from somewheres? yep, I reckon so. Everything you need and nothing you won't use.
    8088359758_a1c2a46c67_c.jpg

WOLVERINES!!!!
    8088358559_8d7c22c6be_c.jpg

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."
    8088364855_2bed8da9bb_c.jpg

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Everything I need and...

and...

sorry, I got distracted by those awesome Atterbury range pics. ;)

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    Good post ....

I still brought an extra rifle because I could. All rifles are man made and things break. I drove too far to sit around watching. I just didn't lug it back and forth across the range. Left it in the car. Everything else is right on.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Good post ....

I still brought an extra rifle because I could. All rifles are man made and things break. I drove too far to sit around watching. I just didn't lug it back and forth across the range. Left it in the car. Everything else is right on.

I will refer to the wisdom of Jack Burton on this one, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    I will refer to the wisdom of Jack Burton on this one, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."

Pm'ing you instead. I don't want it to seem like I am arguing with you. Far from it, I completely agree with your post in susbstance and spirit.

Keep it simple, keep it minimal and don't let the gear become a distraction from the task at hand. :)

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Everything you need and nothing you won't use.... So you're saying:

Bring bacon. :lmfao:

(just kidding here, but this is INGO. It had to be said.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom