• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As I get older I've discovered that it is important to stay both fit and strong. Not only for work related issues but general fitness and the possibility of ever being in a extremely stressful situation that may or may not require violence.
    Personally I have continued to run in races from 5k's up to half-marathons and lift weights 3 times a week and have found as I am regaining fitness and strength that I feel better too. I'm am curious to know what regimens other members are involved in?

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I'll get back to you as soon as I'm done eating my bacon wrapped bacon. :D

Actually, although I've been pretty lax about working out lately, I think some sort of physical regimen is important for not only the body but the mind as well. I realize I'm stating the obvious, but I'm so close to my 50th post! :cool:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've let myself go, using some bulging discs as an excuse. That just made my arthritis worse as I gained weight (which isn't good for my back either). I decided in mid-january that I needed to do something. I'm down 16 lbs so far and have about 20 more to go. P90X has been suggested and I'm looking into kenpo or aikido.

thegunfan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I lift weights twice a week, I get at least 1 day of lower body cardio and 1 day of upper body cardio. I play basketball at least once a week or shadow "box and slap" to keep my fast twitch reflexes in order.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I've let myself go, using some bulging discs as an excuse. That just made my arthritis worse as I gained weight (which isn't good for my back either). I decided in mid-january that I needed to do something. I'm down 16 lbs so far and have about 20 more to go. P90X has been suggested and I'm looking into kenpo or aikido.

I have a jacked up back as well, but I did try P90X last summer and lost about 15 pounds in just about one month. It's hard as hell, but was worth it. We went on vacation and I never got back into it again...hopefully soon. A warning though..we worked out in my garage on the concrete floor which did no favors to either my knees or my feet..in fact, Ive developed either a heel spur and/or plantar fasciitis in my left foot. Now, back to my bacon. :bacondance:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have a jacked up back as well, but I did try P90X last summer and lost about 15 pounds in just about one month. It's hard as hell, but was worth it. We went on vacation and I never got back into it again...hopefully soon. A warning though..we worked out in my garage on the concrete floor which did no favors to either my knees or my feet..in fact, Ive developed either a heel spur and/or plantar fasciitis in my left foot. Now, back to my bacon. :bacondance:

Nice 50th! Thanks for the info. I've not going to try the p90X until I lose 10 more, so sometime in March. Glad to hear it didn't make your back worse.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My club does goofy stuff based on Ross Boxing and tabatas. It's like circuits of exercises.

Your Top Source For Free Boxing Training Advice

I do other stuff too--yoga, weights, martial arts, knives and swords.

I'm on injured reserve thanks to the surgery but hope to be back at it within a couple of months.
    I took some Tae Kwon Do when I was on Guam, saw my main instructor kick some serious butt in a fight in his bar, made a mental note; "This payday, Mr Lee gets paid first!"

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You're right in the concept of being "fit for the fight". There's nothing I find funnier than a "armchair quarterback" talking about all their gear, target practice, etc and yet they are 50lbs or more over weight. I know it's not a joke and they should really take their health more seriously, but I also know all too well how much one's physical condition will determine their true capabilities in a "real life" situation. When the fight or flight response in your body first kicks in you heart rate can jump up to 220 beats per minute and this will only increase as the situation worsens or the longer you're exposed to it. Sadly, for many people that sudden spike could kill them because they don't take enough care of themselves in normal conditions. Being "combat fit" is a serious issue and anyone who takes self defense seriously enough to carry a sidearm should take it seriously enough to train in hand to hand and workout appropriately IMO. Without the combination of these three things, you're simply setting yourself up for failure if the situation does arise. I know I've been slacking off recently, but am picking it back up now as much as I can. When I first got discharged I really wanted to get my personal trainer's license, but didn't know which one was best to get and didn't exactly have a job to pay for it at the time.

chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    I'll tell the P90x is no joke, but neither are the results I'm doing right now I have been for about a month and some say it gets easier haha I dont think so. I've lost 17lbs and 4 pant sizes. I want to be ready for anything.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We should all volunteer to be zombies in the event coming up outside of Knightstown. check out the link in the breakroom.

thegunfan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'll tell the P90x is no joke, but neither are the results I'm doing right now I have been for about a month and some say it gets easier haha I dont think so. I've lost 17lbs and 4 pant sizes. I want to be ready for anything.

My wife and I made it 2 months with P90X, we took it seriously which means alot of dedication, we couldn't keep it up but it put me on a good track to stay in shape and keep the weight off.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Nice 50th! Thanks for the info. I've not going to try the p90X until I lose 10 more, so sometime in March. Glad to hear it didn't make your back worse.

Thanks, I finally made it! Good luck with P90X. I really did enjoy it and it's fantastic for building your overall strength. I thought I was going to die that first week, but hang in there. You will start looking forward to your workouts once you get past the nausea. :): Also, just remember that you don't have to follow along with everything they do...just go at your own pace until you feel comfortable doing more. :alright:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I CrossFit 3 days, rest 1. My wife does it with me. At 38, I am fitter than I have EVER been. I was never "fat" but I was flabby. At 6'2" I can carry a lot of weight without being noticed. Over the last year I have dropped from over 20% BF to around 13% or so. I actually gained weight from 225lbs to 235lbs in the process...so weight is not a good indicator of fitness. I like to think this all goes hand in hand with self defense. I happen to be a firearms instructor, combatives instructor, and CrossFit instructor and they are all connected to each other. One must be well rounded for the best self defense. People sometimes forget that just having a gun does not make them safe. Getting your mind/body into fighting shape will do you more good that a pistol alone will.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I just had this same thought a week ago. I have two young sons and I realized I have no idea how to fight. I've back on the treadmill and debating doing some martial arts training. Having that knowledge will help me protect myself and others better and decrease the odds I'll shoot someone because I lack other defense options.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I don't know if I am fit to fight or not but @ 62 I'm on a treadmill at least 3 days a week for 30+ minutes and 10 different upper body strength conditioning machines.
    On another note I just had my yearly VA check up and BP was 133/80. The nurse did say that I was overweight though. MY BMI was 25.3. So I'm working on that. lol

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I love crossfit type workouts and have moved it up and do Sealfit about 4-5 days a week. I still have to cut in half some of the runs, but the strength and stamina, etc. are great for general fitness. My 4 year old boy started karate so that might signal the end of my era and the beginning of his.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I've been hitting it pretty hard now for quite a while.
    Background is important, as it shapes your baseline, capacity and attitudes about hard physical work. I played sports a lot as a kid; wrestling, football, track, running. Did football and club rugby in college. Took some Shorin Ryu after that. Ran a couple marathons back when. Walked 40 miles on my 40th B-day. Baseline established.
    Nowadays I lift, do core work, plyometrics, run and swim. Did P90X, and still work those tapes in from time to time. Thinking about playing rugby again this spring. I am better about doing core now, and mixing up my running. I do fartleks, longer runs of about 6 miles, and some sprints. I also have put on some weight while moving the belt a notch or two tighter.
    You've got to work hard if you realistically expect yourself to be able to physically perform in an emergency. I am certainly not the best shooter around, but I'm better than the average schmuck. I think well on my feet, have the basic tools, and the fitness to employ them. That's what I got. Hope it is enough if I ever have to take care of my family.
    HB

Top Bottom