Drinking your milkshake
    Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Sorry if this is a repost, but I just saw it.

I LOLd pretty hard.

So after the video stopped did the police officer write himself a ticket or did the video have to be presented to his chief, then the chief wrote the ticket? I'm sure a ticket was given (the law is the law), I'm just curious how.

Video?
    I see no such thing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    IC code doesn't exempt LEOs as far as I know. Not wearing it = stupid. Now I will say that I sometimes popped it off a few blocks before I got where I was going, depending on the type of run but for routine driving, always belted.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We are exempt from child seatbelt laws for sudden transportation needs. However, we are NOT exempt ourselves...at least not in Indiana, other states will vary. However, there are times when getting close to a scene I will take it off so when I stop I can jump out. Having been in a bad wreck while working I can tell you that a belt + airbags + ballistic vest = safety. The belt kept me in place and the vest prevented me from even feeling it. We should all wear our seatbelts LEO and non-LEO.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    We are exempt from child seatbelt laws for sudden transportation needs. However, we are NOT exempt ourselves...at least not in Indiana, other states will vary. However, there are times when getting close to a scene I will take it off so when I stop I can jump out. Having been in a bad wreck while working I can tell you that a belt + airbags + ballistic vest = safety. The belt kept me in place and the vest prevented me from even feeling it. We should all wear our seatbelts LEO and non-LEO.

That makes perfect sense. I was just talking about patrolling around town like this officer was.

As far as everyone wearing their seat belts, that's a given to me. My vehicle doesn't leave park until everyone in it is buckled. However, seat belt laws (for adults) are stupid IMO. As long as motor cycles are legal, how in the hell can it be illegal for someone in a car to not wear a belt?:n00b:

Oh and then we have school buses/public transportation.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That makes perfect sense. I was just talking about patrolling around town like this officer was.

As far as everyone wearing their seat belts, that's a given to me. My vehicle doesn't leave park until everyone in it is buckled. However, seat belt laws (for adults) are stupid IMO. As long as motor cycles are legal, how in the hell can it be illegal for someone in a car to not wear a belt?:n00b:

^^^This. All of it. Although I always wear my seatbelt (not only because it's the law, but also because I don't want to become roadkill in the event of a horrific collision), I don't understand why it's mandatory for some motor vehicles and not others.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

That makes zero sense. The last thing a person riding a motorcycle needs is to be strapped to a 400lb+ motorcylcle and cant get away from it when it goes down. Why would you want to be sliding down the road strapped to a motorcyle waiting for it come to rest...on top of you after banging against your head/helmet on the trip to loss of inertia? :n00b:

Reading your paragraph makes me feel dumber. Thanks alot!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Having laid a bike down, What was put in red makes no sense. It was a very low speed lay down and did very little damage. The bike went about five feet farther then I did. I had a skinned knee (jeans on, had no protective pants as it was a borrowed bike). I picked the bike up, had the owner check it out and kept on riding (I had paid for part of the battery it needed, that paid for the damage I did).

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Having laid a bike down, What was put in red makes no sense. It was a very low speed lay down and did very little damage. The bike went about five feet farther then I did. I had a skinned knee (jeans on, had no protective pants as it was a borrowed bike). I picked the bike up, had the owner check it out and kept on riding (I had paid for part of the battery it needed, that paid for the damage I did).

Did you want to be strapped to it when it went down?

I sat one or 2 sportbikes down myself. One had a crack in the water pump housing and I rode a block from home and it spit antifreeze all over the rear wheel. Next thing I know the rear wheel is moving sideways 2 feet or so to the left then past center to 2 feet to the right. Back and forth uncontrolled. I sat it down as i jumped off of it for the grass on the side of the road before it got worse. Slowing down was not an option. I sure the heck did not want to be strapped to it when it was all happening.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    That makes zero sense. The last thing a person riding a motorcycle needs is to be strapped to a 400lb+ motorcylcle and cant get away from it when it goes down. Why would you want to be sliding down the road strapped to a motorcyle waiting for it come to rest...on top of you after banging against your head/helmet on the trip to loss of inertia? :n00b:

You might want to read that again. Benny did NOT say he wanted bikers to have to be strapped down to the bike. Benny said how can riding a bike be legal? There is no belt, and it wouldn't be safe to have a belt. But we have to wear belts in cars. So if we have to wear belts in cars, then motorcycles need to be banned. ETA: OR remove safety belt requirements for adults period. But Benny did not say he wants belts on bikes!

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Reading comprehension...someone doesn't haz it.

We don't really need to get on that topic again, do we?

Nope, it was just an aside to my post. You won't change my mind on why it's stupid that it's illegal for an adult to not be wearing a seatbelt by himself in his/her car, but it's completely legal for 60 children to be belt less as long as the person driving has a CDL (or whatever it's called).

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

Nope, it was just an aside to my post. You won't change my mind on why it's stupid that it's illegal for an adult to not be wearing a seatbelt by himself in his/her car, but it's completely legal for 60 children to be belt less as long as the person driving has a CDL (or whatever it's called).

I get where you are coming from on the adult in his own car/truck thing. My uncle was ejected from his car many many years ago. They said he lived only because he was not wearing his seat belt. This all happened before I was born and not sure of the details, but recall hearing that part several times.

I have no fail proof idea for kids on a bus other then just doing away with them altogether (the buses).

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012

Only 60 people :D You should see the buses where I am from, they are giant, and the drivers suck. People fall down all the time. They get so packed that people standing can't even grab a rail because the rail spaces are full, and they are just dead center between people on the rails. It was also common to get on the bus, and actually stand forward of the yellow line, all the way to the drivers windshield, and over towards the doors. The buses are nice, they are kneeling buses, so the bus tilts over to the curb, instead of you having to walk up stairs, and it has buttons instead of cables to initiate a stop, and it is nicely air conditioned, but still incredibly unsafe to rid. At least with as many people that ride them at once.
    They are called "articulated buses".

Here is a picture of one. AC Transit in Alameda County CA.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I get where you are coming from on the adult in his own car/truck thing. My uncle was ejected from his car many many years ago. They said he lived only because he was not wearing his seat belt. This all happened before I was born and not sure of the details, but recall hearing that part several times.

I have no fail proof idea for kids on a bus other then just doing away with them altogether (the buses).

While I was visiting some friends going to Purdue, 5 of my closest friends back in SWI were in a car accident. The 4 that survived were ejected and the one that didn't make it (RIP Matt) was the only one wearing his belt. Obviously there are crazy circumstances, but I think everyone SHOULD wear a seat belt, but no one but children should be required.

Only 60 people :D You should see the buses where I am from, they are giant, and the drivers suck. People fall down all the time. They get so packed that people standing can't even grab a rail because the rail spaces are full, and they are just dead center between people on the rails. It was also common to get on the bus, and actually stand forward of the yellow line, all the way to the drivers windshield, and over towards the doors. The buses are nice, they are kneeling buses, so the bus tilts over to the curb, instead of you having to walk up stairs, and it has buttons instead of cables to initiate a stop, and it is nicely air conditioned, but still incredibly unsafe to rid. At least with as many people that ride them at once.
    They are called "articulated buses".

Here is a picture of one. AC Transit in Alameda County CA.

Holy crap, that's ONE bus?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Did you want to be strapped to it when it went down?

I sat one or 2 sportbikes down myself. One had a crack in the water pump housing and I rode a block from home and it spit antifreeze all over the rear wheel. Next thing I know the rear wheel is moving sideways 2 feet or so to the left then past center to 2 feet to the right. Back and forth uncontrolled. I sat it down as i jumped off of it for the grass on the side of the road before it got worse. Slowing down was not an option. I sure the heck did not want to be strapped to it when it was all happening.

I guess I didn't finish, no. I think a helmet law should be in force somehow because if you bust open your head and become a vegetable, health insurance is only going to cover so much and then government benefits might be in order. Though if you choose to ride a motorcycle with no helmet and you wreck, you might want to put one on if you ever ride again. Frankly, I will have full protective gear when I get a bike (over pants, riding jacket, riding boots as I already have the license to ride one, gloves and a helmet).

Top Bottom