• ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Share your,

How's a deer or other big game react when shot with these 5 new cartridges?

Is it a good to start zeroing my scope @ exactly 25 yds?,
    so I "get on paper" when I move back to 100 yards.

Can I really sight-in these rifles for +3" @ 100 yards?
    and have bullet return to zero when bullet reaches 250 yard? 275 for the .300 cartridges?,
    without bullet rising above > 4" (at about 150 yds) line of traj.

Then expect to limit my maximum range for a deer with a 15" lung zone to about 300 yards,
    by holding center without any range finders?

You bet and much more. These rifles are a real "game changer" and you'll like it.:)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I prefer to shoot deer by bow.
    So not a game changer for me.
    If not bucked out, will use one of the new cartridges.
    Prev legal rifle, shotgun, MZ or handgun.......dead is dead.

HP rifle might allow shot placement to move from the shoulder to behind it.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have seen a few hunting shows where guys pop deer and they DON'T just fall over..........

Indiana deer hunters.....boom flop should be of higher incident rate this yr.

My hunting bud rifle hunted Wis, used a 760 in '06. Got a couple deer. None ran far.
    But he's smoked two with his .35 Rem (trimmed) here, and the farthest went 3 steps.

Just got a Parker Hale .270 w 2-7X VX2 from a family member.
    Told him maybe in 4 yrs............

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    The OP clarifys post #1 suggestion is for "stretch-string" cartridges with muzzle velocity
    between 2,700 and 3,400 fps using 150, 160, 180 gr spire point bullets. Scopes, Std rings 1.5", no see thru.
    Three of five meet this.
    .243 is an exception @ about 3,000 fps with 100gr. bullet which should limit it to about 200 yds,
    due to drop in energy.
    30-30 is in class by itself with 150 to 170 bullets with +2" @ 100 yds it's good to about 220 yds.
    Bows & guns that don't, well they just won't change a thing.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I won't be shooting past 200 (unless I lease a particular spot I've been eyeing).
    Nothing in the regs helps me there. Could go a little over 300.
    Have to wait 4 yrs though, as I'd like to get another 7 mm Rem Mag.

Have never liked "zone shooting". Even when I shot 3D archery. I always pushed for the center of the bull (before the 11 spot came about). It forced better focus and yardage.
    Only time it cost me a target was when my bow started shooting low due to a crack in the riser. I adjusted for it and finished the course.

With today's rangefinders, or just pacing the fields ahead of time............there shouldn't be any need for "zone" on familiar ground.
    Am an "aim small, miss small" type.

IMHO adding in a bit of slop early helps erode focus.

MPBR will help some folks, others will still flub it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    More accuracy will be my biggest gain. The last few years I've hunted with a .458socom so the muzzle energy is the same as my .308win I plan on hunting with this year. 2moa is the best I've ever done with my hunting loads, and I limited myself to about 200 yards because of it and the more curved trajectory. I would feel pretty comfortable with the longest shot I could take on my property which is about 400 yards with my .308 hunting load which is running just shy of 1moa. Not that I plan on specifically looking for a longer shot, but it'll be nice to know I can take it if I want. The optics on my .308 is much better than on my .458 which was set up with a 1x4 because I generally figured out to about a hundred yards as the longest typical shot I would take with the .458.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Longest shot for me is still 100 yards, clearing are small and trees are thick.

AboveTheBest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Bloomington
    I believe most of the rounds you listed above will perform fine and shoot "minute of deer" out to 300. I would use Kentucky windage and just guess if I had to take a shot at 300, but I don't see myself needing to shoot that far, as most of my shots will be within 75 yards.

When I went prairie dog hunting in Wyoming we shot them out to 600 yards (with about a 50% hit rate at that distance), but we also had portable shooting benches with bags.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks that can/will shoot deer at 300 yards, but I think I might feel uncomfortable doing so.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    More accuracy will be my biggest gain. The last few years I've hunted with a .458socom so the muzzle energy is the same as my .308win I plan on hunting with this year. 2moa is the best I've ever done with my hunting loads, and I limited myself to about 200 yards because of it and the more curved trajectory. I would feel pretty comfortable with the longest shot I could take on my property which is about 400 yards with my .308 hunting load which is running just shy of 1moa. Not that I plan on specifically looking for a longer shot, but it'll be nice to know I can take it if I want. The optics on my .308 is much better than on my .458 which was set up with a 1x4 because I generally figured out to about a hundred yards as the longest typical shot I would take with the .458.

More scope mag just means more wobble seen, and then maybe more tension to add more wobble.
    4x should allow one to kill deer to 200 or more.

Yeah, small groups boost confidence, but do wonder how much "accuracy increase" from the bench is going to translate into the field.
    Some folks will have a better time of it than others.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    More scope mag just means more wobble seen, and then maybe more tension to add more wobble.
    4x should allow one to kill deer to 200 or more.

Yeah, small groups boost confidence, but do wonder how much "accuracy increase" from the bench is going to translate into the field.

I long range shoot under a variety of conditions not just a bench, but in my case I have an excellent ridge top I shoot from and generally use a bipod unless I am still hunting in bad weather. I'm pretty comfortable with what I can shoot with any of my weapons under most conditions, and my .308 has taken several coyotes, including one out past 300 yards. I already know what I can do with it.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    You are clueless.

Really, you might want to think a .243 is something special,
    but it's the least effective cartridge of the the 5 New cartridges.
    I have only killed one deer with a .243 using a handload, 100gr speer grand slam @ 3,000 fps.
    Shot the buck @ 30 yards from my tree stand in WV.
    Broadside, lung hit it wheeled around and ran 15 yards then piled up.
    You may be able to hit ground hogs & prairie dogs 300 yds plus and kill them.
    But it doesn't have enough energy even with great bullets beyond 250 or 275 yards.
    It does fill an important place the others do not.
    I have taken about 10 deer with a 30/30 using 150 or usually 170 gr bullets
    and it's got the energy out to 225 yards but trajectory is just too arched beyond that.
    I have hunted antelope & mule deer in Montana using my .270 with 130 gr handloads.
    Shots have ranged from 60 yards to around 300 and
    I would not have used my .243 for any of them.
    It's going to be great for kids because recoil is only about 15 ft pounds.
    The 30-30 is a fantastic round and I love it, but new rifles like Savage Axis is so cheap now
    they are much better choice. Thirty-thirty is more expensive now, and low price is why millions were sold and used.
    No more, spend your money on a good, light and cheap bolt action
    30-06, .308 or .300 and they come with scopes & bore-sighted.
    Hunters in the know are going to use the best ones allowed, 30-06, .308 and .300 in any order.

Last edited:

Scottiedog422

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Tippecanoe, Indiana
    I have hunted with .243 and 30-06 out of state for many years. Unless you anticipate push significant distances it will not change how you hunt. Personally, in the terrain I hunt in Indiana, the new Indiana ruling won't impact me or many other hunters as much as the many believe

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    If not much has changed in your neighborhood, that's good. But, rifles are tools and the IN tool box just got a lot more effective with these 5 cartridges.
    YMMv

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Someone who knows as little as you should stick to asking questions rather than 'answering' them. Energy the among the most meaningless designators when it comes to killing things, especially things as easily killed as whitetails. Probably poignant that one of its devotees writes of the 30/30:

it's got the energy out to 225 yards

despite the fact that it delivers less energy at 225 than his own 200 yard limited 243 load does at 275, even with the ping pong ball BC and glaring absence of greatness of the 100 Nosler. I'm happy to count myself out of that sort of 'know'. I can instead know I've knocked over many dozen quadrupeds across multiple continents (Montana included) and well beyond 200 yards with "243" and encountered no energy related concerns.

Last edited:

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Ranking these 5 cartridges the .243 is in the lower 40%. How you sort the order of the 30/30 on the bottom is insignificant.
    Rifles in .30-06, .308 and .300 are at top in any order you can't go wrong. BTW I own each of these and these are not ballistic table ramblings.
    YMMv

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Someone once tried to hand me a 30-30, but I could run faster than they could. If I were you I'd also sit out any further ballistic discussion.

Interested in knowing the factors used in your Ranking System. Obviously we will sidestep energy, but other physics? Drift? Drop? Velocity at impact? Maybe cut wide latitude around vacated positions and consider available bullets?

Top Bottom