• ...and so much more!
  • clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have a friend coming to visit. She works for the court system in Chicago. She has a permit to carry and will be bringing her firearm with her. Will her permit be good here? She also has a badge from the court system, would that work?

We plan on doing a few things while she is here and want to make sure of the laws before we go out both armed and find out she can't be while here. I looked around but can't seem to find anything about it. Anyone with better knowledge have any information on this?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    If she's carrying in Chicago area, she's probably considered some sort of LEO, and LEOs can carry nationwide under HR218. Illinois doesn't really issue permits, so I'm guessing this is the case.

But anyhow, Indiana honors any other state's permit, so that's another point in the right direction..

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I would not think she would be consider LEO, but because she works for the courts and has a badge maybe she is. I know she is turning in her issued Mag and ammo before she leaves on vacation so that there will be problem with lost ammo and such. I know she works closely with the judges a lot but she does not discuss her job very much. Lots of privacy issues.

Just want to make sure she would be Ok to carry here in Indiana.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    She's not OK unless she has a permit. You should check whether she actually HAS a permit in IL (and I doubt this because I don't think IL issues any permits, even for LEO -- I'd love to find out I'm wrong, though), or whether she is EXEMPT FROM NEEDING a permit in IL because she is LEO. If she HAS a permit then she is ok in IN. If she doesn't, she can't carry. I'd recommend she get her Utah non-resident or something like that -- might be too late for this trip, though.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    She does have a permit. Yes, Illinois does have carry permits, but very limited as to who gets them. I know the one judge she deals with has one. I talked to him about guns and such. Her boss and other co-worker both have permits as well. It is an issued permit, that is why I believe her badge is not the reason she can carry there.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    She does have a permit. Yes, Illinois does have carry permits, but very limited as to who gets them. I know the one judge she deals with has one. I talked to him about guns and such. Her boss and other co-worker both have permits as well. It is an issued permit, that is why I believe her badge is not the reason she can carry there.

Illinois does issue permits to a select few, and it would be good in Indiana, under LEOSA court officers are not LEO'S unless your friend is a retired LEO and meets all of the requirements.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Illinois does not issue any type of carry permit. They do issue a FOID card which you are required to have to own a gun or ammo. There are exemptions to being able to carry but most relate to the need on the job (ie: Armoured bank trucks.) Now if she carries for her Sheriff (working for a court) then I believe it is up to the Sheriff to allow her to carry in the state of Illinois. Now if that falls under the Federal HR218 bill I am not sure. Kind of like being Pre-Basic in Indiana does that qualify you to carry in Illinois under HR218.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    A simple answer to your question rather than grilling you on whether she has a permit or not. As stated somewhere in this thread Indiana recognizes the permits of all 49 other states.

It is just nice that in Indiana if you are breathing, over 18, have no criminal record, and a few dollars, you can get your license to carry a handgun.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    A simple answer to your question rather than grilling you on whether she has a permit or not. As stated somewhere in this thread Indiana recognizes the permits of all 49 other states.

All 49 other states, and foreign countries, such as Chicago :)

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I stand corrected after reading the ILCS code 720 ILCS 5/24-2 under Exemptions Paragraph A-8. The Department of Professional Regulations does issue a firearm authorization card to private detective, private alarms, private security. The way I interpret is though its while offically engaged in duties and traveling to and from place of residence.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I stand corrected after reading the ILCS code 720 ILCS 5/24-2 under Exemptions Paragraph A-8. The Department of Professional Regulations does issue a firearm authorization card to private detective, private alarms, private security. The way I interpret is though its while offically engaged in duties and traveling to and from place of residence.

And Mayors, alderman, president, trustee, marshal, deputy marshal and policeman.

Illinois Municipal Code, Article 3.1, Division 15, Paragraph 25.

Perhaps in Illinois, court officers are deputy marshals or are considered police officers.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    There is enough variation and interpretation in law that it is hard to make a determination if its legal or not. Illinois Court officers and Correctional Officer's I was told would be up to the Sheriff to allow them to carry off-duty.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Indiana honors all permits BUT...

You must be carrying in accordance with the rules and limitations OF THE PERMIT. For example, if you have a license from another state to carry a concealed handgun, you CANNOT legally OC in Indiana. So if her permit has the limitation that it is for use "on the job" she cannot carry in Indiana.

Would most cops in Indiana care? Probably not, but I wouldn't risk it unless there is no kind of limitation indicated on the card.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    No limitations that I know of. The permit is for her protection because she also deals with a lot of inmates. Everyone in her office has a permit. I know she can't carry in the courthouse, I believe she locks in a locker and then picks it up again when she leaves.

She did say that the nice thing is that she can shoot a couple times a week and they pay for the ammo. When I talked about going shooting while she was here, she wondered if I would have enough ammo. Suggested I might want to go and pick up some more, just in case...LOL

I did know they had limited permits, but according to her, there are more around then you would think. Then again most all her friends seem to work for the courts in some fashion

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Yeah, I don't think the regular peasant common folk get those :rolleyes:

Glad to hear there aren't limitations. Just make sure if it says concealed on it, she must keep it concealed.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    If you go to the NRA-ILA site and hit the tab "Gun Laws" and then click on Illinois on the map it gives you the most up to date info on carry issues. According to that there are no permits issued. The only people that can carry are LEO. I would be interested to know if she believes her FOID is a permit. Perhaps being a court officer is considered LEO there. It just doesn't look like anyone gets one based on what the NRA has up. It does give numbers for the IL State Police. You might want to check with them.

Top Bottom