• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scotmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I would like to purchase a AR15 for deer and varmits. I do not know enough about Indianas rifle ammunition limitations to know what caliber I should use or if this is even possible. Any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated !

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not a hunter, but for AR-type rifles I know .458 SOCOM is popular (for deer). For varmints I believe there are fewer restrictions.

BTW, Welcome to INGO! :ingo:

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    The rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications:

A) fire a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of an inch (.357) diameter or larger;
    (B) have a minimum case length of one and sixteen hundredths (1.16) inches; and
    (C) have a maximum case length of one and six hundred twenty-five thousandths (1.625) inches.

Some cartridges that will be legal include the following:

357 Magnum
    .38-40 Winchester
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Special
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .44-.40 Winchester
    .45 Colt
    .454 Casull
    .458 SOCOM
    .480 Ruger
    .475 Linebaugh
    .50 Action Express
    .500 S&W

I don't think varmit hunting is restricted like this, i know you can use a 5.56 ar on coyotes..

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would like to purchase a AR15 for deer and varmits. I do not know enough about Indianas rifle ammunition limitations to know what caliber I should use or if this is even possible. Any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated !

The only FACTORY loaded round that is available for deer hunting in a production AR15 is the 458 Socom round. There are wildcats and custom uppers but RRA produces factory built 458 Socom uppers and complete rifles.

For coyotes, raccoons, groundhogs, etc you can use pretty much any caliber you wish. I've been using 6.5 Grendel but 5.56 should work just as well within its more limited range.

Scotmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Thanks everyone for your help! Hey has anyone noticed the purposed changes in the ammunition size by the DNR? Will this change open the door to more types of ammunition available for hunting deer with the AR’s? If so can you guys give me a idea of what calibers to look at? See below.

Allows a rifle cartridge to have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches instead of 1.625 inches
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Here is an excerpt of current regulations for Deer hunting in Indiana taken from http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

These rifle cartridges can be used only during the deer firearms season.
    Some cartridges that are legal include the following:
    .357 Magnum
    .38-40 Winchester
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Special
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .44-40 Winchester
    .45 Colt
    .454 Casull
    .458 SOCOM
    .480 Ruger
    .475 Linebaugh
    .50 Action Express
    .500 S&W
    Some illegal rifle cartridges for deer hunting are the .30-30 Winchester, .444 Marlin and .45-70 Govt.

Apparently, there is one hunter to blame for Remington 700's being a nono.... saw his pic (below) posted on the DNR office Most Wanted board.

foxhunting-remington-700.jpg

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Thanks everyone for your help! Hey has anyone noticed the purposed changes in the ammunition size by the DNR? Will this change open the door to more types of ammunition available for hunting deer with the AR’s? If so can you guys give me a idea of what calibers to look at? See below.

Allows a rifle cartridge to have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches instead of 1.625 inches
    [URL="http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm"]http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm[/URL]

If this goes through then .450 Bushmaster would be a legal deer round.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If this goes through then .450 Bushmaster would be a legal deer round.
    It would also make a WSSM factory length case legal so they would not have to be trimmed, as well as making the 50 Beowulf legal.

Personally I think the ballistics on the 450 Bushmaster are pretty bad compared to the 458 Socom and the 50 Beowulf. the 450 Bushmaster is built around PISTOL bullets and that pretty dramatically limits what can be loaded. Compare the 450 Bushy to the 458 Socom & 50 Beowulf for all considerations (bullet choices, bullet construction, bullet weight, energy, etc) and I think you'll come to a similar conclusion.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    It would also make a WSSM factory length case legal so they would not have to be trimmed, as well as making the 50 Beowulf legal.

Personally I think the ballistics on the 450 Bushmaster are pretty bad compared to the 458 Socom and the 50 Beowulf. the 450 Bushmaster is built around PISTOL bullets and that pretty dramatically limits what can be loaded. Compare the 450 Bushy to the 458 Socom & 50 Beowulf for all considerations (bullet choices, bullet construction, bullet weight, energy, etc) and I think you'll come to a similar conclusion.

Interesting. I'll have to do some research as I'm thinking of going the AR route for deer also.

Top Bottom