• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I want to have an AR upper in 300 BO for supers with a can for hunting. Currently have an upper with a 16" Faxon carbine gas. With a suppressor, the center of mass will be pushed out farther from the center of the gun. The contour on the Faxon barrel makes cutting it down and rethreading seemingly less practical.

I've been thinking about this:
    Which I think is a Shaw barrel on the cheap.

Would it be worthwhile to get that, cut it down, pin & weld a SOLGW Nox in 30 cal in order to push the center of mass back? The barrel listed there is probably heavier than the Faxon even if chopped to ~13.7"

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Why would you want a heavier barrel than your current one if you're trying to get the weight further back?

Unless that's not the reasoning behind this barrel choice. I'm confused?

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Why would you want a heavier barrel than your current one if you're trying to get the weight further back?

Unless that's not the reasoning behind this barrel choice. I'm confused?
    The basic question is how much is it distribution of mass vs. total mass. I could purchase that (no longer in sale) barrel and pay to have it chopped down, then stick say a Nomad Ti suppressor on it eventually.

But without paying out the yang to have it fluted after the fact, I don't see any real weight savings to going that route. The 16" Faxon I currently have is the "gunner" profile that shaves some weight off. So, even if I chop that down to pin-and-weld lengths, I don't think I'll be saving on the weight.

A lot of people discuss the balance of the rifle, so it's not just about the total weight, but how it's distributed. For the people who have experimented with various setups, does getting a new 16" barrel and having it trimmed to save 2" of length seem like it's all that reasonable if a thing to do if the weight savings is negligent?

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    The basic question is how much is it distribution of mass vs. total mass. I could purchase that (no longer in sale) barrel and pay to have it chopped down, then stick say a Nomad Ti suppressor on it eventually.

But without paying out the yang to have it fluted after the fact, I don't see any real weight savings to going that route. The 16" Faxon I currently have is the "gunner" profile that shaves some weight off. So, even if I chop that down to pin-and-weld lengths, I don't think I'll be saving on the weight.

A lot of people discuss the balance of the rifle, so it's not just about the total weight, but how it's distributed. For the people who have experimented with various setups, does getting a new 16" barrel and having it trimmed to save 2" of length seem like it's all that reasonable if a thing to do if the weight savings is negligent?
    Moving it further back will feel much more noticeable than just the weight savings.

I had an upper that felt terrible. After the barrel was cut to 13.7 and p/w it felt like a completely different gun.

Stick with the faxon and cut it OR go direct thread.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Invest in a good tripod. My hunting rifle is heavy, but, with a good tripod, the balance is perfect.

20200922_181356.jpg

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    At this point. I'll not buy that barrel and worry about after-the-purchase modifications. Thanks for the couple of folks who've replied.

Invest in a good tripod. My hunting rifle is heavy, but, with a good tripod, the balance is perfect.

View attachment 239999

I typically walk around for most of my hunting, I might set up for an hour or two in a spot, but then am back slowly patrolling (empty of human) woods. That said, I might pick up a tripod for my father /uncles though. Recommended brands/models?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    For your hunting, I would recommend primos trigger sticks. Lightweight, easy to deploy and self adjusting.

Amazon product ASIN B0728HC759
    For a more permanent solution, I use this one...

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Unfortunately, the Faxon's contour I don't think is chop & re-thread friendly. I might go direct-thread if I go suppressor before SBRing a lower and just building/buying a pistol-length upper.
    People on reddit and arfcom have chopped gunner profiles and I'm going to ask @AllenM to chop one in the next few months.

A professional can do it. One guy even took a 16" gunner down to 12.5.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    People on reddit and arfcom have chopped gunner profiles and I'm going to ask @AllenM to chop one in the next few months.

A professional can do it. One guy even took a 16" gunner down to 12.5.
    That's a total game changer.

Ever thought about going the SBR, or pistol route? The .300 is designed for a short barrel anyhow...
    That's the eventual goal. For hunting I just intend to use supers, so I'd like to keep the carbine gas to keep it cleaner if it can be made stable with the added time & back pressure of a can. I've got to move every year for the next 3 years, so the NFA aspect is on hold at the moment.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009

View attachment 239999
    Wow, and I always thought tripods were for cameras. I guess if a guy can't hold a rifle well enough to shoot it, that's the way to go. Kinda like shooting everything from the bench, anyone can do that. Just saying.
    Doesn't that take the rifleman right out of the equation?

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    You guys know lifting weights doesn't cost anything right :laugh:

^this post brought to you by the Quad Rail Gang
    Costs me $60 a month.

Is your gym accepting new members?

This post is brought to you by 4.8lbs 16" CF rifle gang (lifting so I can actually use my quad rail build some day)

Top Bottom