• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I was considering the purchase of a basic mil-spec AR15 advertized as having a mid-length gas system (gas block located 9.3in from the receiver), but to me it looks like a carbine-length system (7.3in from receiver).

EDIT:
    THE PHOTO IN QUESTION TURNED OUT TO BE AN INCORRECT STOCK IMAGE. It did indeed show a carbine-length gas system, but the rifle's current production really does feature a mid-length gas system. No need for you to slog through the remaining details.​

The handguard is 15" and the barrel is 16". The gas block looks to be centered relative to both the barrel and the rail... If it were truly a mid-length system, wouldn't the barrel length beyond the gas block appear shorter than the barrel length between receiver and block? It's hard to tell...

9" of gas tube plus a 2" gas block would leave only about 5" of barrel in front of the block. Looks to me like there's at least 7" of barrel on the muzzle end.

Note how the gas block sits right behind the fourth M-Lock slot. If any of you guys have an M-Lock handguard and a mid-length gas system, does yours sit behind that fourth slot?

I'm new to the AR platform and would appreciate any insights from you AR guys.

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Many of these companies use stock photos that may or may not exactly represent the item being described.
    If they are a reputable company, I would go by the written description, and not the picture.
    Good point. Thanks. I'll call them tomorrow and ask.

"Dormant Marine." :D
    My Dad was a Marine, and like you: once a Marine, always a Marine. 'Never before saw the adjective dormant used, but it's accurate. Your fellow Americans appreciate your service, and your residual, irrepressible Semper Fidelis.

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    FYI internet etiquette is to leave the question/post up to educate future readers.
    I tried to delete the thread entirely, back when just one reply had been received. That didn't work, so I deleted the content of the original post and renamed the thread. Looks like the moderator restored everything. I'll limit what I disclose in the future.

My reason for attempting to expunge the whole issue:
    In the current climate of gov't overreach (to put it mildly) I try to leave as little information online as possible regarding what firearms and related gear I might own.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I tried to delete the thread entirely, back when just one reply had been received. That didn't work, so I deleted the content of the original post and renamed the thread. Looks like the moderator restored everything. I'll limit what I disclose in the future.

My reason for attempting to expunge the whole issue:
    In the current climate of gov't overreach (to put it mildly) I try to leave as little information online as possible regarding what firearms and related gear I might own.
    LOL there's no way to delete things once put on the internet.
    You already screwed up by having an account here.
    If they really gave a crap about you, they wouldn't need to read your INGO posts.

Top Bottom