• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I have a holosun on my ak, a primary arms 1x6 on an ar, and an Eotech on my other AR. I like all of them, and would be okay walking into the apocalypse with any of them. If I knew for sure a biker gang was coming up my lane tomorrow, I would pick the Eotech. It has a fantastic reticle that I can actually see clearly, I have pretty severe astigmatism, and it is perfectly capable from close to mid range. A magnifier makes it even better at distance.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke

IS HOLOSUN A DUTY GRADE?

"Yes, we’ve seen plenty of law enforcement officers with their duty guns equipped with a variety of Holosun pistol optics. Since 2021, the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department has approved Holosun 407/507/508/509 use. This is significant because LASD policies act as sort of a trendsetter for many other departments across the country.

With the massive amount of video footage that has come in from the Ukraine War, we've seen many Holosuns used in the conflict. While we don't have any specific data sets, tests, or studies for you to review - now that Ukrainian troops have been fielding these optics for over a year now it's pretty safe to say that many Holosun optics are now considered "battle-tested."

Ukraine is using whatever they can get their hands on. The Taliban using them in Afghanistan make them "battle-tested"?

A sheriff department allowing personnel purchase to use on a duty gun is a long way from the actual department purchasing them for upper tier units. That may change, California is embracing china in a big way lately.

If you're happy with your chicom made guns, scopes, red dots then good for you. Some of us don't.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Not at all, not even close. It`s about durability, functionality, and function. I need and want something suitable for CQC purposes as well as midrange use, but it`s always about quality, and durability as well. If the Vortex Crossfire isn`t durable, then it`s a waste.

I wouldn't go into CQC on a $500 budget, but that's me.

You sound like you're asking for a serious use unmagnified optic. Aimpoint and Eotech are really the only players in that game. It really isn't that big of a spend in the grand scheme of things, even on a very modest budget. I'd be looking at a T2, compM4, or compM5.

If your goal is to shoot on the range and what-if a home invasion, then holosun will do well. The issue with holosun is one of manufacturing consistency, which is going to be the issue with anything in that price range. It costs a lot of money to make a perfect product every single time. You can save a lot of money by rolling the dice on QC and relying on warranties. It's just a question of if that use case is serious enough that a warranty isn't reassuring.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ukraine is using whatever they can get their hands on. The Taliban using them in Afghanistan make them "battle-tested"?

A sheriff department allowing personnel purchase to use on a duty gun is a long way from the actual department purchasing them for upper tier units. That may change, California is embracing china in a big way lately.

If you're happy with your chicom made guns, scopes, red dots then good for you. Some of us don't.
    Meh. They work. Have never had an issue with mine. If they don't, I flip up the backup irons. It ain't that deep. Lots of high speed operators with top notch equipment in the ground because of half-literate goat humpers with Mosins and AKs held together with duct tape.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Meh. They work. Have never had an issue with mine. If they don't, I flip up the backup irons. It ain't that deep. Lots of high speed operators with top notch equipment in the ground because of half-literate goat humpers with Mosins and AKs held together with duct tape.
    But, there are way more of one dead, than the other. Way more.
    In 20 years,
    During the War in Afghanistan, according to the Costs of War Project the war killed 176,000 people in Afghanistan: 46,319 civilians, 69,095 military and police and at least 52,893 opposition fighters.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I wouldn't go into CQC on a $500 budget, but that's me.

You sound like you're asking for a serious use unmagnified optic. Aimpoint and Eotech are really the only players in that game. It really isn't that big of a spend in the grand scheme of things, even on a very modest budget. I'd be looking at a T2, compM4, or compM5.

If your goal is to shoot on the range and what-if a home invasion, then holosun will do well. The issue with holosun is one of manufacturing consistency, which is going to be the issue with anything in that price range. It costs a lot of money to make a perfect product every single time. You can save a lot of money by rolling the dice on QC and relying on warranties. It's just a question of if that use case is serious enough that a warranty isn't reassuring.
    If you're talking red dots I think up to 500.00 is plenty and more than that probably a waste of money. You can get Aimpoint Pro's for under 500.00 and the ACO's are on sale for 350.00. The new RDS is right at 499.00 MSRP as well. I have three PRO's currently that have been great and I just got an RDS to put on the B&T SBR but don't have a lot of experience with that yet. I've seen the CompM3's/PRO's take a lot of abuse so i'm very comfortable using those, we would get those for issuing to trainees basically in a metal drum just thrown in and they would get used and abused every cycle. We use M5's now but I don't see them as really that superior, more convenient battery though.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Looks like I am the odd man out. I prefer the Eotech with a magnifier. I am quicker with the red dot and if have to engage beyond 200yds I will have time to slap the magnifier down.
    No, I like Eotechs a lot. I don't like their battery life though. I have went with one battery change a year aimpoints on all of my serious rifles that don't have LPVO's.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    But, there are way more of one dead, than the other. Way more.
    In 20 years,
    During the War in Afghanistan, according to the Costs of War Project the war killed 176,000 people in Afghanistan: 46,319 civilians, 69,095 military and police and at least 52,893 opposition fighters.
    You think that is all attributable to small arms sighting systems?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Looks like I am the odd man out. I prefer the Eotech with a magnifier. I am quicker with the red dot and if have to engage beyond 200yds I will have time to slap the magnifier down.
    I'll take either irons or a 4X ACOG before all of that out to at least 650.
    If it has a battery, it needs to be in a flashlight.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Then what's your point?
    My point is, Gross tonnage always Wins.

From Aircraft to the Ground Pounders, we were superior.
    Sure a 70 year old bolt action rifle was able to kill a few Americans, But as Americans we brought with us far superior firearms into the fray.
    Seems when we left a zillion M4's behind, they dumped those 91-30's and AK's an put our M4's to work.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I'll take either irons or a 4X ACOG before all of that out to at least 650.
    If it has a battery, it needs to be in a flashlight.
    ACOG is a great optic IMO I have seen them get hits in real life.

Not being a jarhead we limit ourself’s at 300M in order to be relevant. DM’s and Machine Guns do the long stuff.

BTW my PLT was assigned to the 1st MEF during the invasion of Iraq I am authorized to wear the 1st Marine combat patch.
    Same as the Army units that fought in WW2 assigned to the Marines.
    I think it’s a honor.

I am right handed and left eye dominant so the EOTECH works the best for me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not long ago, I purchased a Springfield Armory Saint Victor. Springfield was having a promotion at that time, and I also received a free Vortex Crossfire red dot optic. I`ve read reviews on that optic, and like I suspected, there are good as well as bad reviews. For an optic that has an MSRP of between $100 and $150, depending on where you look, the reviews are about what I expected to see. Apparently Vortex has an outstanding warranty and customer service.

I have wondered though if I might not want to sell or trade this and get a different optic for my AR. I have been considering an Aimpoint PRO if I were to go with a tube red dot, or, I have been seriously considering a holographic red dot of some sort because I feel that that type sight would have much faster target acquisition capabilities in CQC situations.

So, I`m just wondering what any of you might do in this same situation. Would you keep and mount the Vortex Crossfire, and trust that that quality of a sight would hold up and be sufficient? Would you pull the trigger on the Aimpoint PRO? Would you get one of the holographic red dots instead, and if so, what would be your holographic red dot of choice? Unfortunately, it will be a stretch for me to go to $500 for a rifle sight, but that would be my high end.

Put that sight on that gun and go shoot it. Then shoot it some more, with the money you saved from not buying ahead of your hands on learning curve.

Shoot that gun a lot. Take some classes. Run some drills.

Upgrade later, when you can put a finger on what you are trying to improve on.

FYI - Make sure your BUIS are sighted in and you rig or carry the tool to take that sight off to get it out of your way. It's good practice, for numerous reasons, to jump back and forth from your optic and irons.

:twocents:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    ACOG is a great optic IMO I have seen them get hits in real life.

Not being a jarhead we limit ourself’s at 300M in order to be relevant. DM’s and Machine Guns do the long stuff.

BTW my PLT was assigned to the 1st MEF during the invasion of Iraq I am authorized to wear the 1st Marine combat patch.
    Same as the Army units that fought in WW2 assigned to the Marines.
    I think it’s a honor.

I am right handed and left eye dominant so the EOTECH works the best for me.
    I get it, I have a EOTECH also, It seems its always a battery problem since I bought it. Just the thought of having a battery problem when I need it just keeps me from using one. It sits in a safe with none of us three ever using it.
    I believe the worst problem I have ever had with a ACOG is the reticial is to bright, A piece of tape cures that. I was given the rubber lens covers with the front Tenabraex. With that on its looking like it will take some of the extra light out of the scope and hopefully no tape lol anymore.
    And the Marines are have changes the ranges they shoot, and I haven't kept up the last 1 1/2yrs or so.
    My one thats still in, has pet qual's for awhile now. My #2 ran a bunch of grass weeks and quals over his time.
    And I'm just the opposite, left handed and right eye dom, but I shoot with both eyes open. Thats how I was taught. I dont think I've ever had any optics that I felt wern't right over my eyes.

Hopefully those Grunts treated you well. Thanks for your service.

Top Bottom