• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I was going to order the yankee hill phantom flash hider but saw there phantom style compensator, has anyone heard about these? owned one shot one?

obijohn

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i've got one on a m4gery. seems to work ok, but not as well as some others. frankly, for most, a comp isn't as useful as a simple flash hider. ymmv

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was going to order the yankee hill phantom flash hider but saw there phantom style compensator, has anyone heard about these? owned one shot one?

The difference between the Phantom flash hider and the Phantom "compensator" is that the latter does not have ports cut in the bottom, just the sides and top. One benefit is that it won't blow exhaust into the dirt when you're shooting from prone.

In terms of being a true compensator, it really is not. A real compensator has baffles upon which the expanding gases can impinge and transfer momentum as the flow changes direction. You might get a tiny bit of reduction in muzzle flip with the Phantom, but nothing like a true compensator.

As brother obijohn mentions, compensators on ARs aren't that useful to most people. You'll get more reduction in movement of the gun with a full length gas system (vs. carbine length) than you will with a comp or muzzle brake. Now, if you're building a 3-gun race rifle and you intend to develop the skills to use it to its fullest potential, then a comp makes sense.

Bottom line, I think the Phantom comp is probably a good idea. If you look at the A2 flash hider on the M16A2, M163, and M4, you'll notice that it doesn't have ports in the bottom either. If you have a choice between the two Phantoms, I'd go with the "compensator" version.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I like the AK Concepts AR compensator:

I had one mounted on my AR and really liked it.They have a video of a guy shooting an AR w/ one of these comps on it full auto and the muzzle hardly rises.Just click the pic and then follow the links to the video's.

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've got the Phantom Comp on my carbine. I can't say that it works any better or worse than the standard A2 birdcage. It loomks cool ,and that's what they are selling, looks over performance. For the best preformance per dollar, the A2 is hard to beat. If you like it, go with it, but I agree with John and Rhino that the closed bottom is a good idea no matter how well it works as a 'comp'.

Doug K

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

I had one mounted on my AR and really liked it.They have a video of a guy shooting an AR w/ one of these comps on it full auto and the muzzle hardly rises.Just click the pic and then follow the links to the video's.

oh thats the dntc comp, yeah I saw that video on you tube. so you really like it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ok just to be sure this is the piece I'm talking about, and it seems to have baffles correct if I'm wrong though.

Yankee Hill Machine Phantom Compensator / Muzzle Brake YHM-5M1 - Black Rifle Works

You might be right about that. Here's the thing, though. If it's a "real" compensator, it's not going to work well as a flash hider. It may actually increase the amount of visible muzzle flash IF IT'S REALLY A COMPENSATOR WITH CHAMBERS.

If you want a compensator, I have no experience with a Yankee Hill compensator, but there are much many other choices. The Miculek comp available from Clark Custom, DPMS, etc. is a good one. The JP/Cooley brake is another excellent choice. Neither will do anything to minimize muzzle flash, but that is not their intent.

If you really want something that will work as a flash hider and as a comp/muzzle brake, then you're going to have to get a (sound) suppressor. That's an NFA item that requires additional paperwork and tax.

If you want a flash hider, get a flash hider.

Okay ... I just looked at the Yankee Hill web site (the manufacturer) and it looks the part in question is a compensator and definitely not a flash hider. I was thinking you were talking about the flash hider that does not have the ports in the bottom (which they also sell) and refer to as a "comp/flash supressor."

YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. – Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors | Muzzle Accessories

The standard Phantom (Yankee Hill part #YHM-28A)is a flash hider, as are the "comp/flash suppressors" (#YHM-28-5C1, YHM-28-5C2).

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well I have a a2 hider already, and I'm not going on any night ops in the foreseeable future, but saw a video of comps in action and thought I would give a comp a try and I liked the phantom. I guess I'll get it and let you know, but thanks for the replies everyone it helped.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good luck! The cool thing is, if you don't like it, you can just put your A2 flash suppressor on there again.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Jun 5, 2008
    Here is the same break with flash hiding ability. Check out the night time video on that page.

FSC556 - PWS

Top Bottom