• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hypothetically, if one could get good quality teflon coated USGI aluminium mags with Magpul anti tilt followers for $10, or Gen2 non-window Pmags for $10 - which would you stock and why?

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I prefer PMAGS myself, some of the older ODG PMAGS I have don't drop free reliably, but the newer black Gen 2's I have bought seem to drop just fine. I find them in the AIM Surplus showroom sometimes for $8. As a consequence, I now have a duffle bag full of them.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hypothetically, if one could get good quality teflon coated USGI aluminium mags with Magpul anti tilt followers for $10, or Gen2 non-window Pmags for $10 - which would you stock and why?
    We are owners of aluminum gi mags, Im from the aluminum generation and my sons are not.
    Seems when out shooting I just dont see people having problems with gi mags. I can't say that with plastic mags.
    If one wants to store them loaded its not a problem with feed lips opening up or a cover to snap on the top of the mag. They have worked well for what 60 years now.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Both is an option. If you'd stock both, what's the rationale?
    Pmags are lightweight, durable, and they work well. Usgi aluminum seem to be easier to smack in and drop free, and they're made of metal, so less worry about dropping and cracking. Plus they're easier to stack and store since they aren't as bulky. And both are fairly ubiquitous, so finding compatible parts should never be an issue in the future. For $10 each, no reason not to have 5 or 10 of each (at least).

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I run Gen 3 p mags and have never had any issues. Kept loaded they do not distort and feed lips stay in spec.
    My son served 4 years in Army Infantry.
    He had multiple failures of metal mags due to denting of the mag body during field exercises which prevented proper feeding. Switching to Pmag Gen 3 eliminated all issues. Metal mags used only on ranges with little chance of denting are OK, but I would not run them in a serious training regimen.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I run Gen 3 p mags and have never had any issues. Kept loaded they do not distort and feed lips stay in spec.
    My son served 4 years in Army Infantry.
    He had multiple failures of metal mags due to denting of the mag body during field exercises which prevented proper feeding. Switching to Pmag Gen 3 eliminated all issues. Metal mags used only on ranges with little chance of denting are OK, but I would not run them in a serious training regimen.
    What was being done to those magazines to cause dents culminating into improper feeding?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    As your resident high power competitive shooter, 20 round usgi . The usgi drop free during a rapid string (mandatory mag change) , easy to pull apart and clean (at the range) , never had a problem with the usgi,
    I have 4 20 USGI mags, that I love.. if I still had an AR, it would be in it at this moment.......as to the OP, I have both, just like the feel of the metal mags....I'm old school though (I'm 60)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My neighbor contacted me somewhat frantic. Said he'd bought an AR for his son's birthday and it came without a magazine. I told him where to shop and asked when the son's birthday was. He said yesterday. :n00b:

Dude liked to wigged out, when I immediately walked him over a PMag, in the sealed package.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a fair variety of plastic mags, but no metal. Maybe I should have some metal?

Where do we like to pick up the recommended aluminum ones? Best shipping price?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’m another old skool guy. I’ve never had any issues with USGI mags that were properly maintained and cared for. I have some mags that are older than some of you.
    Having said that I’ve only had a couple early P Mags that had feed lips that cracked. Some P Mags don’t fit into some of my ARs very well and then have issues with ejection.
    The USGI mags are easier to stack and store and I just like the feel of them better.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    We are owners of aluminum gi mags, Im from the aluminum generation and my sons are not.
    Seems when out shooting I just dont see people having problems with gi mags. I can't say that with plastic mags.
    If one wants to store them loaded its not a problem with feed lips opening up or a cover to snap on the top of the mag. They have worked well for what 60 years now.
    Agree, I like using pmags for many reasons, but for stockpiling I prefer GI

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    These are not cheap, but what I use in competition. They allow for a longer round, and do not distort. A very good product.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I had an AR, I had both. I liked them equally as far as performance. For nostalgic reasons, I suppose, I liked the metal ones a touch better.

I liked the sound when they went into the magwell. :)

I would buy both again. Catch sales on either one and stock up!

Top Bottom