• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Now that everyone and their brother has clicked on the thread:D ....this is hypothetical but im REALLY REALLY looking at getting a 3d printer. If i could supply 30 round AR mags for $10 would you guys buy them? Lets just for kicks and giggles say you could have them in black, white, OD or FDE...all the same price and they all functioned just fine. I may be able to do them cheaper and if i can i would sell them cheaper...im just looking to make a couple bucks over my cost to pay for the printer.

On top of that LEGALLY you would be able to come to my house and print an AR lower (for a small fee) and not have to have a serial number or register it.

Im not looking to start a real business here...just to pay for my toys :D

Also anyone know of any legal reason why I couldnt do this?

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    What material would this 3D printer use that would be strong enough to function adequately for an AR lower?

How about the mag spring?

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I don't know any legal reason, but the materials and quality is not reliable yet. The AR 15 lowers only held together a few rounds before breaking apart. But in the future, this technology will get better and the material will be more reliable. The engineers are already writing the files to do several items. I think the AK magazine was next.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    " If i could supply 30 round AR mags for $10 would you guys buy them?"

No...P Mags are coming back down to under $15 again.

Those look like fun toys though. Make model cars or something...
    They are? Will 5.56 come back to 0.35/round too? And 7.62x39 down to 0.21/round? *hopeful*

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    What material would this 3D printer use that would be strong enough to function adequately for an AR lower?

How about the mag spring?

ABS plastic....already been proven to stand up to the abuse with the newest design

Also the mag spring has to be bought no questions asked..but those can be had for about $1.30 each not buying in bulk. If i were to buy in bulk im sure i could get them cheaper.
    Im not saying $10 is a set price...its just a starting point. I may be able to sell them for $7...who knows.

Last edited:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Sounds like an personal visit from the ATF may be in your future.
    Why? No legal reason at all...everything im talking about is 100% legal...look it up its all been done

They are? Will 5.56 come back to 0.35/round too? And 7.62x39 down to 0.21/round? *hopeful*
    I think they will come down some...but im just talking about supplying local people with a decent quality product. So the question stands...would you buy if they were a good quality product?

I don't know any legal reason, but the materials and quality is not reliable yet. The AR 15 lowers only held together a few rounds before breaking apart. But in the future, this technology will get better and the material will be more reliable. The engineers are already writing the files to do several items. I think the AK magazine was next.

You need to take another look at the latest ones. As stated above they have lasted several hundred rapid fire rounds with no issues. Also when i say a small fee im talking about like $20 to print a lower or some very small price.

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I utilize the latest in 3D priniting technology with my manufacturing company. While the materials available have greatly improved, with even stainless steel being an option now, the cost is prohibitive to do any actual production work with the higher grade materials. I would do a cost study prior to quoting prices, I think you'll find you are way off at what the actual cost will be.
    I recently started a project where I am building injection molds to make a magazine and its components. Even though I have built molds for magazines before, we still made 3D printed prototypes of the magazine parts to assemble and evaluate prior to cutting metal on the molds. Of course I had to test actual function in addition to fit as well, needless to say, the printed magazines didn't survive one single shot. The force of the bolt going across the feed lips destroyed them, you don't have such a function in a lower. Even using a cheap material such as ABS, the cost of printing a lower or a magazine is excessive & more than you can buy a "real" mag or lower for..

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Once the IRS finds out... unless you plan on sending them a tax check for all your sales

You sound like our current government ...your assuming i will do something illegal just because i have the chance to and because im not a "Big Business". I have my own business...any profit made would be claimed on taxes and fully comply with all tax laws.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I utilize the latest in 3D priniting technology with my manufacturing company. While the materials available have greatly improved, with even stainless steel being an option now, the cost is prohibitive to do any actual production work with the higher grade materials. I would do a cost study prior to quoting prices, I think you'll find you are way off at what the actual cost will be.
    I recently started a project where I am building injection molds to make a magazine and its components. Even though I have built molds for magazines before, we still made 3D printed prototypes of the magazine parts to assemble and evaluate prior to cutting metal on the molds. Of course I had to test actual function in addition to fit as well, needless to say, the printed magazines didn't survive one single shot. The force of the bolt going across the feed lips destroyed them, you don't have such a function in a lower. Even using a cheap material such as ABS, the cost of printing a lower or a magazine is excessive & more than you can buy a "real" mag or lower for..

Im gonna shoot you a PM....i have some questions that no one really shoots straight on and you seem to not mind speaking the truth.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Also guys im not trying to mass produce anything...just supply a local demand. I dont want to be McDonalds or Burger King ...think more along the lines of the guy you know who can cook good and see if he is available to help ya cook for your 4th of july party.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    The printer they are using to achieve this currently is an over $30,000 printer for the lowers anyway. The magazines should be able to be made on cheaper machines but I would not want to keep them loaded because the feed lips would surely warp under pressure for an extended time. :dunno:

But if you don't have any then something is better than nothing.

oldad

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    " If i could supply 30 round AR mags for $10 would you guys buy them?"

No...P Mags are coming back down to under $15 again.

Those look like fun toys though. Make model cars or something...
    where are p mags for $15 dollars
    I still cant find any anywhere

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Invest in designing injection molds, you would probably need two. One single cavity for the mag body, and one two cavity for the floor plate and follower. Pricing on these will vary between~$7.5k to +$15k depending on who designs and what their overhead is. A smaller machine shop would be the way to go. After that you could take it to a molder and have them run it. ~$250-$500 for setup and trial runs for each. After that you would pay pennies on the dollar for the actual part. The big investment is building the mold itself. However, on a small scale running lets say 500 a month at $10 ea that's $5k. Take into account upfront cost and and time and material for the molder. That's provided you are going straight to a molder and not a middle man (ie: machinist). Then account for liability insurance.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    it sure is nice to see all the negative people of the world unite....Im NOT asking how to do it or if its feasible. As i put in the first post..its all hypothetical and IF you would buy them if they worked right?

Top Bottom