• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Hey guys and gals, I have a s&w m&p15 flat top carbine. I would like to put a longer 4 rail handguard that extends almost the lengh of the barrel. What kind of gas block do I need and do I need a free float handgard since I dont have a front sight?

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Perhaps a low profile one that clears the rail, its going to be a system of trial and error if you buy everything off the net.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    my uspsa racegun has a full length free float tube over a 16" barrel. i used a jp adjustable gas block, but any of the plain gas blocks should do. what you'd be looking for would be a gas block with no front site tower or rail. you could also cut the sight tower off of the gas block you have currently installed.

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Ok, I I see that I need to get a low pro gas block. The next step is a handguard. What kind do I need?

Honestly that parts up to you, and you budget. They run the cambit from 50-75, on up to 300+. But at the length you want I would expect to pay more in the $300 range. Look around Larue some more... I think they have what your looking for.

8. LaRue Tactical AR15 13.2 Handguard LT15-13.2

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Thanks for your help guys. I now know what to look for. If I find something, I will have a carbine length 4 rail handguard for sale soon.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I used a YHM free float lightweight rifle length tube on my 16" midlength AR. I chopped down the otiginal front sight. Took about 20 minutes at most and I already had to take it off to install the stuff for the free float anyways. Since you are going to be using a fore-end longer than where your gasblock/FSB is, you will have to use a free float type of tube. They attach at the reciever only, and don't touch the barrel all the way out.

Here's my rifle awhile back. It looks a little different, but same basic idea.

GunPics003-4.jpg

I live on the West side and would be happy to let you look at mine and/or give you a hand getting yours set up.

Top Bottom