• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I’m trying to put together an AR-9. I have a lower. Does anyone know a place that sells a ‘kit’ - one that will have an ar-9 upper, the bcg, charger, stock, etc (all except lower and magazines) I plan on getting one that takes glock magazine. The only ones I can find are ar-15 lowers that have conversion parts. I want it to be simple and sleek. Also, do they make a sole AR-9 upper or do all ar9s use an ar15 with an ar9 bolt.

thanks.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You can use a milspec lower with a conversion kit, or you can buy a lower specific top the mags you want to use. I've got both.

Colt mags are better if converting a standard lower. You get last round bolt hold open and use all the standard ar controls. 32 rd steel mags are about 20 dollars.

Build kits are few and far between right now and even fewer are worth the money. Taccom and Odin works make good barrels lightweight. Ballistic advantage barrels are good to go too.

Faxon bolts are really consistent

They make pistol caliber uppers. They don't have fwd assists, smaller ejection ports, and no dust cover. However they can be difficult to come by like everything else right now.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I’m trying to put together an AR-9. I have a lower. Does anyone know a place that sells a ‘kit’ - one that will have an ar-9 upper, the bcg, charger, stock, etc (all except lower and magazines) I plan on getting one that takes glock magazine. The only ones I can find are ar-15 lowers that have conversion parts. I want it to be simple and sleek. Also, do they make a sole AR-9 upper or do all ar9s use an ar15 with an ar9 bolt.

thanks.
    What lower do you already have for the build?

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I think it will be the juggernaut upper and lower. But I want a 9” barrel, and they don’t have one. They sell the upper and lower combo without a barrel or bcg. So I think that’s a good starting point.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Think I’ll go with a CMMG complete upper. 8” or under. I can already tell this will be one of my favorite guns. They make an upper that takes 9mm glock conversion mags or regular Glock. Guess the conversion one takes SOME Glock mags. I’ll stick with the regular one.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Think I’ll go with a CMMG complete upper. 8” or under. I can already tell this will be one of my favorite guns. They make an upper that takes 9mm glock conversion mags or regular Glock. Guess the conversion one takes SOME Glock mags. I’ll stick with the regular one.
    If you are going the CMMG upper route, you actually have the option of using a standard AR15 lower and PMAGs with new guts in them. I built one like this and it runs great. Look up endomag, or you can buy the guts from CMMG. If you want a glock mag lower, look at Angstadt arms. They are pricey, but they work well with CMMG uppers. I built a CMMG .45 ACP upper and use an Angstadt Arms Glock lower for that one because they dont have any .45 PMAG conversions. I prefer the AR mags and standard AR lower to Glock mags, but either should work.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I was hoping to go with a juggernaut lower made for Glock mags, and a CMMG upper with an 8 or 9” barrel. I don’t ever plan on putting anything other than 9mm through this setup and I’ll keep it as is versus dual duty. I’m unsure which CMMG to get, so hopefully they answer their phones tomorrow. Already grabbed a CMMG lpk minus trigger, and buffer + spring when I got the lower. So I’ll still need a nice upgraded trigger, Carbine tube, pistol brace ( have one), a2 grip from CMMG, upper. Not sure what else.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I was hoping to go with a juggernaut lower made for Glock mags, and a CMMG upper with an 8 or 9” barrel. I don’t ever plan on putting anything other than 9mm through this setup and I’ll keep it as is versus dual duty. I’m unsure which CMMG to get, so hopefully they answer their phones tomorrow. Already grabbed a CMMG lpk minus trigger, and buffer + spring when I got the lower. So I’ll still need a nice upgraded trigger, Carbine tube, pistol brace ( have one), a2 grip from CMMG, upper. Not sure what else.
    Pcc needs a different buffer and spring than standard.

You should be able to get any 9mm upper from cmmg and be ok.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I think if you try to pair a Juggernaut lower with a CMMG upper, you will have issues. The CMMG uppers are designed to sit at DI height because they use a DI style bcg. If you are in love with the juggernaut lower, I would pick a normal blowback upper instead of a CMMG RDB. Normal blowback uppers should work fine.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Pcc needs a different buffer and spring than standard.

You should be able to get any 9mm upper from cmmg and be ok.
    Yea I got the pcc buffer and spring from juggernaut.

I chose them because they seemed to be quality and came in 80%. Now the poster after yours say I may have issues? Should I call CMMG or juggernaut? I got two lowers from them just to have a spare. I just get a stripped upper from juggernaut too but I’m not sure if I’ll use it. Got a CMMG lpk kit minus the trigger. And then the spring kit mentioned above. I’m hoping to get all the rest from CMMG. I want 9mm glock mags to go in easily with no clunky adapters. I guess I will call CMMG first and see if they say things will work and get me a parts list.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I think if you try to pair a Juggernaut lower with a CMMG upper, you will have issues. The CMMG uppers are designed to sit at DI height because they use a DI style bcg. If you are in love with the juggernaut lower, I would pick a normal blowback upper instead of a CMMG RDB. Normal blowback uppers should work fine.
    I’m gonna call CMMG tomorrow to confirm. What other upper would you recommend? Or do you know of an 80 lower that’s quality and will work with CMMG?

Pfcmaurx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Jeffersonville

thanks.
    I have built a dozen or so AR9’s DM me if you would like info. I’m sure I have spare parts.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I bought most of my parts at Joe Bob's...

Depending on what you want to do, be prepared to spend some real money.

Some AR9 parts are just inherently more expensive than standard AR parts. Some are just way cool, like side charging, bolt hold back uppers. Some go really fast, lotta money that has a short half-life there. I gave up trying to run with the big dogs at the last $200 upgrade needed to compete with them.

If you are on a tight budget, you may well get a usable gun that will go bang most of the time. Keep in mind that the AR platform was not designed for any pistol cartridge, blow-back operation or pistol magazine. Reliability may vary, it often bites at the worst time, when you are sure you have it all figured out.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I’m gonna call CMMG tomorrow to confirm. What other upper would you recommend? Or do you know of an 80 lower that’s quality and will work with CMMG?
    Unfortunately I dont have any experience with normal blowback AR 9 uppers or P80 lowers. CMMG may be able to help. They may end up recommending their lower, but it doesnt hurt to ask. The CMMG uppers are nice because the radial delay blowback softens recoil and lowers port pop if you are planning to shoot suppressed. The Juggernaut lower will supposedly work with CMMG uppers if you do some machining on the bolt catch to adjust the magazine height. If you dont mind doing that gunsmithing work, you could probably make your combination functional.

Top Bottom