• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlburger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    West Indy
    I'm wanting to upgrade the trigger on my spikes lower. I'm new to AR platform rifles. I'm used to a very smooth 2lb tigger in my bolt rifles. Any suggestions of what I could do my self? Or what I could do as far as just purchasing a drop in. Again Im new to AR's I've done lots of reading on line and talking to people at multiple gun shops. If you talk to me like a child I will not be offended at all. Thanks in advance.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Well, how much are you willing to spend? If you're new to the platform then I'd advise against you trying to polish and re-work the factory mil-spec. PSA had SSA-E for $189

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Well, how much are you willing to spend? If you're new to the platform then I'd advise against you trying to polish and re-work the factory mil-spec. PSA had SSA-E for $189

This is a very good trigger for the money.....I have one in 2 different AR's and love them...

Also, since your new to INGO, PSA is Palmetto State Armory. Good company, but slow to ship....

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'm wanting to upgrade the trigger on my spikes lower. I'm new to AR platform rifles. I'm used to a very smooth 2lb tigger in my bolt rifles. Any suggestions of what I could do my self? Or what I could do as far as just purchasing a drop in. Again Im new to AR's I've done lots of reading on line and talking to people at multiple gun shops. If you talk to me like a child I will not be offended at all. Thanks in advance.

:welcome: to :ingo:.....

Jlburger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    West Indy
    That's something I forgot to mention. I would like to stay below $150. But if your saying a extra $40 is going to get me what I need then that's what I'll do.

Jlburger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    West Indy
    I'm very mechanically inclined and have no problem learning and education my self on something. If I can acheve simaler results through polishing and do slight re work then I'm all for it. In the end it's just going to help me have a better understanding on how the rifle functions.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Spend the extra $50. It's worth it. I have a couple of "cheaper" AR triggers in my parts drawer. Once I discovered the SSA, I pulled them out and replaced them....

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

I have no personal experience with either. If the geissle is no longer on sale, look into the timney competition 3lb trigger for $185 from primary arms. It's a single stage where the geissle is a 2 stage. Depends on if you want a little take up before you hit the wall. I have 2 of the timney competition 3lb triggers and love them.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

The SSA-E is a top notch 2 stage and can't be beat for the money. I prefer a single stage and I really like the CMC. Mine measured just over 3 lbs with zero creep. NICE trigger action now on my Colt LE.
    CMC Triggers Tactical Drop-In Trigger Group AR-15 Small Pin .154

Jlburger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    West Indy
    I'm trying to understand why would someone want a two stage trigger? Im wondering if it's because I don't have a good understanding of what that provides. Is it just the option of having two different pull weights?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would boldly recommend the Geiselle or Jewel triggers, but they are a lot more money than your budget. I used an adjustable JP Enterprises drop in trigger in a Colt HBar. It worked really well. It is an adjustble trigger only, it uses the factory hammer and has a single stage pull. They were about $80 then, I see that Midway has them for $115 these days.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I like them in certain situations. If it's a good 2 stage, the pull feels light and smooth for the first stage (take up). Once you pull through the take up, the trigger stops, like it hit a wall. At that point, you increase force until the trigger breaks. A good one won't have any movement once you reach the wall before it breaks, and it'll break like glass.

They are really nice on a target gun. I find them a bit slower than a single stage for 3 gun type stuff or running and gunning. But the 2 stage triggers are a bit more accurate for me.

I'm trying to understand why would someone want a two stage trigger? Im wondering if it's because I don't have a good understanding of what that provides. Is it just the option of having two different pull weights?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've never used a flat style trigger before. Any recommendations on flat or curved style trigger?

I feel like the flat trigger gives me more sensitivity on my finger for better control. That being said I have both and it's just what you're used to.
    I'm one of the "Old Guys that's set in their ways". Change is bad and it's hard for me to try new/better things. .

Jlburger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    West Indy
    So a 2 stage trigger simply means that there are two stages to the pull of the trigger? I always thought it meant that you could set it to two different pull weights. So when they list the 1st and 2nd pull weights they are referring to the two different stages of the trigger and the pull weight of each stage?

I like them in certain situations. If it's a good 2 stage, the pull feels light and smooth for the first stage (take up). Once you pull through the take up, the trigger stops, like it hit a wall. At that point, you increase force until the trigger breaks. A good one won't have any movement once you reach the wall before it breaks, and it'll break like glass.

They are really nice on a target gun. I find them a bit slower than a single stage for 3 gun type stuff or running and gunning. But the 2 stage triggers are a bit more accurate for me.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yes.

So a 2 stage trigger simply means that there are two stages to the pull of the trigger? I always thought it meant that you could set it to two different pull weights. So when they list the 1st and 2nd pull weights they are referring to the two different stages of the trigger and the pull weight of each stage?

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    I installed the ALG Defence ACT in one of my AR. This is similar to the Trident trigger listed. $65 got me a much nicer than mil spec trigger, its about a 6lb pull but i'm not shooting competition with this one so no need for a 3lb trigger on it.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I installed the ALG Defence ACT in one of my AR. This is similar to the Trident trigger listed. $65 got me a much nicer than mil spec trigger, its about a 6lb pull but i'm not shooting competition with this one so no need for a 3lb trigger on it.

+1 for the ALG ACT. Add a set of JP Yellows reduced power springs. The downside is possible lighter primer strikes on hard mil primers.

Top Bottom