• ...and so much more!
  • Kimbertrace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    All,

I am looking to purchase my first AR. So far I am I am interested in a Bushy c15, because of the decreased weight. I am at the beginning of my research so please share you opinions.

What recommendations do you have for a good value AR and why?

What features should I look for?

What should I avoid?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    avoid vulcan/hesse. they really do suck.

personally, i would buy the Colt LE6920 now that the prices have come down (thats what i did.) the 6920 is the gold standard; maybe not the best, but the standard.

i would get one chambered in 5.56 nato (not .223) with a chrome-lined barrel. again, not necessary, but it does increase barrel life and makes it easier to clean. i would also look for one with 1/7 or 1/9 twist rate. i would also get a flattop or one with a detachable carry handle, so you can add optics in the future.

lots of good brands out there, but for $1100, you cant go wrong with the Colt.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Krebs custom, arsonel, lancaster, polytech, RAA, ect.

He asked for "AR-15" recommendations. None of those manufacturers makes one, as you are fully aware. Please don't attempt to hijack this thread into another AR vs. AK debacle... especially when you know the only TRUE answer is "buy both"! ;)

SnowCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Bushmaster

I own a Bushmaster M4. Was bought pre-ban in 1988. I love it. Bushmaster is a very good firearm. Their people can't be beat.
    The M4 is chambered in .223 and that is the way I want it.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I own a DPMS and RRA, so don't get either one of those. The fewer people who have one, the more valuable mine will be.

Kimbertrace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

C15 problematic? That's unfortunate, better to learn it now though!

What is the difference/advantage to 5.56 vs .223. If it is chambered 5.56 can you still shoot .223???

What is the cost difference for 5.56 ammo?

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Yesterday during a training event/ police demo / filming session I ran over 1000 rounds of several different manufactures ammunition through a post sample Olympic Arms M4 with not one single malfunction. I'll be getting rid of all my AR rifles and from now on will only have Olympic Arms rifles for my personal guns.
    During the session I saw several of the other manufactures AR's fail at one point or another.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    For your first AR

My opinion and WHY

Olympic Arms (Sporticle my mistake) Plinker plus, (sorry I got my names confused)

Bradis has them for 599 at times, This is your first stab into a very customizable gun.

Features of the Gun and WHY

Standard Stock, Fine for everyday shooting and will serve you well in EVERY type of match or shooting you do, you could spend 75-600 on different stocks but when it comes right down to it a standard stock works, every drill that a beginner will be doing can be accomplished with this stock

A1 sights, on carry handle, the A1 sights are the fine they work, they are harder to adjust than A2's or the other fancy sights but once you sight it in you won't be changing the settings unless you have a range that runs out to 600 yds and you practice at long range on a regular basis, The fact is once you sight it in for 100 yds or 25 yds depending on your purpose you can just change hold a bit for everything out to 350yds

Carry handle, Sturdy servicble, if you want a dot you can buy a carry handle scope mount for anywhere from $25 on up. if you put a scope up high you can get a strap on cheeck piece , If you use one of the stepped down scope mounts you can co witness your dot and irons and then learn to ignore the irons and shoot with the dot.

16 inch is really a purpose thing, if your going to do short range work 16 is the way to go , if your going to shoot NRA highpower or shoot longer range stuff think of 20 inch, Chrome lined vs Non crome, My opinion is for accuracy you want non chrome, a non chrome bbl will outlast most shooters abilty to buy ammo for it, the value added from a chrome lined barrel is more a thing of fantasy vs reality.

Carbine standard foreend, Learn to shoot this gun the way it is before you go wild here, if you decide you do need to change forarms to something with rails or something, you can buy a set later that just replaces these cheapies, There's no heat shield in the OLY and that will only be missed if you are really burning up the mags, if you keep your shooting strings reasonable then you won't notice

Standard front site, Here again no big deal if you are using a red dot ignore it. If you decide you want a finer post screw the one that comes with it out and replace it.

Fit and finish, Go to a shop and look at several, pick one out that is tighter than the loose one, check the finish, and go to the check out counter.

Trigger, Almost none of the AR's come with a great trigger, Take the lower group to a gunsmith and have him put a good trigger in it. wheather that is just stoning the one there or replacing it with an aftermarket.

Please be careful of the AR snobs, you can spend alot of money and not get very much improvement in return.

about 3/4 of the function problems out there are ammo and mag related, many of the remaining come from a loose gas key, bad gas rings, ect. There is nothing on an AR that is hard to replace or fix,

Go to some shops and don't let them snob you into more rifle than you need. I am sure that your first AR should not be a $1000 gun. The AR is not for everyone you may find that you enjoy Bolt guns better. If your shooting IPSC type shoots a gun that shoots 2.5 inches at 100 will get you through. Once your skills outpace your equipment then start spending the big bucks. Because the AR is so modular you can start with a base gun and add as you need or want to.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom