• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Here's what I'm thinking. I'd like to get a Colt 6920 and the best deals I've seen are around 1200 for one rifle. I have seen Bushmaster patrolman M4's for around the $800 range. Now if we were thinking for a survival situation would a guy be better off to spend the extra money and buy two bushmasters or the one colt?

I don't have the budjet for either option right now, but I was just trying to think things through. I keep thinking an ideal solution would be to get the Colt first since it's about as good as it gets and then start buying the bushmasters since there's nothing wrong with them either as $$ becomes available trying to get the best out of both worlds.

What are you survival experts thinking about this?

:patriot:

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    probably should have put this in the long guns section, it would get way more responses

Agreed, but none the less....The bushmaster will do everything a colt will do, and be just as durable. Olympic arms has gotten much better in the quality department. I have a couple bushys, and they have been damn near 100% reliable. :twocents:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was originally thinking of money better spent for a survival type of thing, but I can see why you guys think it'd get better responses in the long gun area and I agree.

CAN A MODERATOR MOVE THIS TOPIC TO THE LONG GUN SECTION PLEASE??

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have a Stag and think the world of it and think that any of the better companies like Bushmaster, Stag, DPMS, and RRA would give you an equal rifle. Like previously mentioned, you can get a thousand rounds of ammo and ten mags with a stag for the lone price of the Colt.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Go with a Colt, LMT or any other higher quality ($$) weapon . Contrary to popular opinion the Bushmasters are NOT as reliable as the Colts. Bottom line for me is how much is my life worth and do I REALLY want to buy a firearm that is not the best just to save a few bucks? Sorry but not me.

Bob

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    Buy the less expensive one now! and then after you get the optics and ammo at a minimum then, if you want the more expensive Colt then buy it as a second gun. Or buy a second less exp one and do the same thing to it, optics, ammo, sling, mags, light, lasers, bipod.... All the mall ninja stuff you want. Just get one soon. Don't take a knife to a gun fight and don't take a handgun against someone with a rifle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I already have all the mags and ammo I need. I'd always like to have more ammo, but I have everything except the gun right now.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Go with a Colt, LMT or any other higher quality ($$) weapon . Contrary to popular opinion the Bushmasters are NOT as reliable as the Colts. Bottom line for me is how much is my life worth and do I REALLY want to buy a firearm that is not the best just to save a few bucks? Sorry but not me.

Bob

This.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    How about building up your own guns. Start with a decent lower then upgrade the uppers as funds become available? I had a DPMS upper at first, just so I'd have something, then moved into a BCM as I thought about what I really wanted...there also might be more availability that way, as opposed to finding a whole rifle? just my thoughts...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well. I think my next AR will be a Colt 6920 and then I'll buy a bushmaster 20" or a DPMS Sweet 16 like I used to have.

I really miss my DPMS sweet 16 because it shot so accurately. I had a Burris 2-7x with ballistic plex on it and it was good to go out to 500 yards without too much thought. Someday I'll buy another one.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Why not go with a CMMG or a RRA and spend the saved money getting the extras on the gun. I fail to see how a gun that is cheaper but has all the same options and voodoo traditional stuff done to it is lesser of a weapon. I mean look at how many people love their Bersa which I dont get but apparently they do. Go with what you can afford that works for you and does what you want. just my 2 pennys

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

Bob

My father has never had one single problem out of his Bushy. Not saying Colts are junk, we carried them in the Service. However it's like saying Nike shoes are better then Addidas. I have also talked to a very competent gunsmith, who shot my dads AR, and said it was a fine shooter. Do not buy in to all the hype of oh God, I need to own a Colt.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Royal-1 quote:..

'' Don't take a knife to a gun fight and don't take a handgun against someone with a rifle." I have a question on definition. What is the (legal) shortest "long gun?" I don't mean so as to tempt the BATFE, but really what constitutes a "short" long-gun, versus the long pistol ( i.e. Desert Eagle, .44 mag in 14-inch± barrel), and would that combination, with proper training, be as good as a 16-inch± .44 mag Marlin pump?? A good pistol has many advantages (think paratroop-type lengths) over a rifle in E&E situations, and some pistols are very good sniper weapons, out to 75-yards. A make-shift long-stock (illegal during ordinary peace-time) adds greatly to the effects.
    ¿¿ Anyone ??

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    My AR- caliber choice.

Do I have to go to AR-10 to use up all my 7.62x51 ?? I do want to get into the AR- frame. Eventually sell an M1A and M-14. They are heavy.

Top Bottom