• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    Can someone point me to any statutes allowing or denying the carrying of a AR 15 pistol with a Indiana LTCH. I'm looking for references for a paper my son is writing.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    You won't find anything, either way, specifically mentioning AR-15 pistols. It is classified as a pistol for specific reasons and that's all the law cares about.

Would probably only be able to reference the Federal definition of "handgun" and in turn the Indiana statutes regarding the definition and carrying a handgun.

Not sure why you would carry one other than "Murica". I will eventually be building one for a car gun, but don't ever see myself walking around with one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I don't believe that there are conditions beyond the length of a shotgun and perhaps fully auto needs a stamp.

Common sense on the other hand tells us that if you are carrying a handgun of that size you are either of 8 foot stature or if not, you may as well just pack the full size rifle.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Only a bunch of college educated lawyers and politicians could could up with a way to define a sawed off rifle as a "handgun". I mean, if you saw the barrel and stock off of a shotgun it's still called a "shotgun". Do the same thing to an AR rifle and amazingly it is now a "handgun".

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Only a bunch of college educated lawyers and politicians could could up with a way to define a sawed off rifle as a "handgun". I mean, if you saw the barrel and stock off of a shotgun it's still called a "shotgun". Do the same thing to an AR rifle and amazingly it is now a "handgun".

Has to do with bore sizes and rifling. It's still stupid.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    9tbIJTe.jpg
    joQsTdm.jpg
    RZCgqNL.jpg

Wouldn't be too bad of a setup if he had a pistol length buffer tube on it.

9EZzvEj.jpg

Only posting these to showcase that OP isn't alone.

Attachments

• joQsTdm.jpg
      joQsTdm.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 4

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    To each his own.

I would put it on a one point. And also, I would carry an SBR, or even a full sized rifle over one of those. If you're going to take the step to carry an AR, may as well go all the way.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just because it's called a pistol, doesn't mean you have to carry it like a "pistol", in a hip holster. Put a damn sling on it and carry it how it's meant to be carried.

Those pictures are all ridiculous.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Whatever you do, don't read this:

ESTEP v. STATE | FindLaw

In case you actually heed my advice and don't read it :) it says that a pistol-grip shotgun (without a shoulder stock) is a handgun.

Just because it's called a pistol, doesn't mean you have to carry it like a "pistol", in a hip holster. Put a damn sling on it and carry it how it's meant to be carried.

Those pictures are all ridiculous.

The top one, with the drop leg thing, doesn't look too bad. But, I generally agree.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    All this talk concerning "Pistols"-
    Is there any code against concealing an actual "Rifle" or "SBR"? :dunno:

Asking because our license is for carrying handguns and not rifles. Is a slung over the shoulder rifle legally the same as to conceal that same rifle?
    Yeah - Yeah - If you could, of course conceal it.

I use to have a nice armpit sling setup for my Uzi years back that also held spare mags on the other side comfortably under a very light jacket. :):

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Under state law, there is no permit required to carry a "rifle" as it is currently defined. There is also no law restricting how to carry a "rifle." However, my personal opinion is that an SBR would be considered a "pistol" that would require a permit to carry.

IC 35-47-1-6 "Handgun" Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm: (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or (2) any firearm with: (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

So. Designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one hand? Maybe.
    But, barrel less than 16"? Yes.
    Overall length less than 26"? Probably, otherwise, it doesn't make much sense to SBR it.

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck.

That is not advice to you or anyone else.

airrifle82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    northern indiana
    Its a little different...

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    9tbIJTe.jpg
    joQsTdm.jpg
    RZCgqNL.jpg

Wouldn't be too bad of a setup if he had a pistol length buffer tube on it.

9EZzvEj.jpg

Only posting these to showcase that OP isn't alone.
    Ha ha ha! Now that's funny stuff right there! The only way I would do something like that, is if the lights went out...for the last time. :twocents:

Top Bottom