April 2nd IDPA shooting footage for analysis (Hardcore BoltThrower)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I believe that I learn more with a camera fixed on a location where you can see what you are doing. This is one of my USPSA video's of my slow old fat self moving through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INhKdhcLwqY

You see what you shot by your scores. It's where your movements are is what I feel you pick up from off body video's

But then there is the whole forgetting to turn on the camera thing.

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    ESP

Man.............you guys look C O L D !!!!!! I'm glad I moved to Arizona......shoot all year round and the most you need is a sweatshirt in the morning during the "chilly" months......

Bonus question answer: 45 ACP can shoot either ESP or CDP.....it all depends on how many rounds you can fit in your pistol. 8 rounds is max mag capacity for CDP. If you have a high cap pistol and want to load mags to 10 rounds, then you can run ESP.

As I said above, you can shoot a 1911 .45 in ESP. I don't know why anyone would given the recoil and mag capacity
    disadvantages. The rulebook says if you can't load to division capacity, you must load each mag to the same number.
    A 1911 .45 could shoot ESP w 8 in the mags and 1 in the pipe at the start.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    As I said above, you can shoot a 1911 .45 in ESP. I don't know why anyone would given the recoil and mag capacity
    disadvantages. The rulebook says if you can't load to division capacity, you must load each mag to the same number.
    A 1911 .45 could shoot ESP w 8 in the mags and 1 in the pipe at the start.

My 45ACP mags hold 14 rounds. I can load 10 in the mag and one in the pipe and shoot ESP all day long....... Or, I can load 8 in the mag and one in the pipe and shoot CDP. Nice thing about hi cap mags is not having to use a spare mag to load one in the pipe. First mag is loaded with 9 rounds and all the spares with 8. LAMR with the first mag and I'm ready to go.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Sorry, thought I knew everybody shooting CDP, my mistake.

Hey no problem, I shoot ESP with a 9mm 1911. I'm the guy that has igotdiesel2 on the side of my INGO hat. You have been my RO a few times at Atlanta. I also remember you telling a guy you would DQ him the next time he put his pistol to his face to do a mag change because he was breaking the 180 rule and pointing the muzzle above the berms. -Jason

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Me too, but that can/will get you DQ'd. You have to keep the muzzle below the top of the backstop for safety.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this for real? You have to keep the muzzle pointed at the ground while reloading at IDPA matches?

Is this a local rule, or the national organization taking Rule #2 to a Luddite extreme?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pardon my ignorance, but is this for real? You have to keep the muzzle pointed at the ground while reloading at IDPA matches?

Is this a local rule, or the national organization taking Rule #2 to a Luddite extreme?

Range safety rule. And not at the ground, just not pointed over the berm. Deep in the bay you can get pretty steep, just not vertical in front of your face like Haley and the Beard teach.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Kosher for Idpa rules if there is advance notification, page 52 1.2.1.1.9 for example .

It is one of those sticky things. Some ranges require all shots to be slow fire, some ranges do not allow weapons to be drawn from the holster and fired quickly, this range has the reload rule. There is likely a sound perspective for each rule at each range and there is also a sound perspective that more rules could be added at every range, and in the end there is the argument that maybe pellet guns or airsoft is the only acceptably safe answer.

Risk tolerance, whether you are talking shooting, or racing, or high school football, or 1000 other pastimes, or work activities, is a great big bag o worms.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Understanding Proper Gun Handling

Had to chime in here.The answer lies within the question. "Pardon my ignorance, but is this for real? You have to keep the muzzle pointed at the ground while reloading at IDPA matches?"

While it is fun to compete in the shooting sports a casual gun handler that would rather define club rules rather than practice good gun handling skills shows room for improvement. Competition breeds perfection but it is not automatic to all.

A shooter that misguides his firearm during a reload is what I call "SkyLoading". There are so many reasons not to do it let alone the safety factor. I suggest getting professional instruction to anyone who SkyLoads. While on the subject it appears that many think that placing well in a match makes them Gun savvy. Consider this, SkyLoaders, Acrobat Rackers, Murky Mag releases,Port Pirates,Muzzle Madness, Donkey Tail Reload, Frameless Finger, Up Range Gunhandling, Down Range Disrespect, Belly Pointing, Case Blowouts, Squibs, Negligent Discharging, Wrist Sweeping, Backward Bagging,and equipment failures may go unnoticed by many but in reality the game you practice determines your skill set with a gun.

The shooting sports and trigger time on the range are great means for developing your skill and while there are no laws to make you look both ways before crossing the street, it is just good sense.

Shoot em in the middle.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Range safety rule. And not at the ground, just not pointed over the berm. Deep in the bay you can get pretty steep, just not vertical in front of your face like Haley and the Beard teach.

One more question I forgot: what range were you referring to?

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    Incredible! There is someone else alive who understands the gray areas of life instead of using emotional pleas utilizing worst case scenarios constantly.

Grelber, you've commented with much distinction, we owe you a debt of gratitude.

There are NO - REPEAT NO - gray areas in a sport where a mistake might kill someone !!! As an SO/RO I will give as much latitude as I can, especially to a new shooter, but if I say well "it was only 181 degrees" how long before somebody is pointing his gun at the scorekeeper ? I have physically blocked a new shooter from breaking the 180. I can do a reload EASILY and fast without pointing my gun over the berm. Drop the mag, turn my wrist 45 degrees to the right, insert mag, back to shooting. If my reload is .5 slower I'll gladly live w that. Sorry to burst your bubble, but in designing stages, putting together matches and training shooters you always look at the worst case scenario. Butterflies and puppies are found at quilting bees.

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    There are NO - REPEAT NO - gray areas in a sport where a mistake might kill someone !!! As an SO/RO I will give as much latitude as I can, especially to a new shooter, but if I say well "it was only 181 degrees" how long before somebody is pointing his gun at the scorekeeper ? I

The 180 is kind of an interesting judgement call.
    In real time it is not possible to call anything less than 190 or so without occasionally booting people out who didn't break any rules. My personal rule is that I have to be certain, so depending on where I am standing relative to the shooter and how fast the shooter is moving perhaps sometimes I could make the call at 190 and other times it might be something significantly past that. If I'm standing behind and to the right of a right handed shooter, pretty much where I should be when a shooter is moving backwards or to his left which is when most 180 breaks happen, then I can not see the gun through the shooters back so I could easily not see a pretty big break.

Top Bottom