• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Hello from my 90* apartment! I'm having some trouble getting the apartment temps down... :xmad:

A week ago we hung sheets over our windows, didn't help.
    We just used some tin foil (silly, i know) on our sliding door to try and keep the radiant heat out, not working.
    Apartment maintenance came and re-charged the freon, checked the fans and filters, and says it's all fine.

Is it hot just because it's HOT out, or am i going to be paying 150 dollars to IPL this month for nothing? We think the maintenance team isn't digging into the issue, they have "contractors" coming out tomorrow to look at the outside units, but i'm not sure if that's the problem...

Anyone have any helpful tips for cooling off an apartment? The building was built in the late 60's/early 70's, and i've been told the ductwork isn't the best. Our lease is up in November, and we'll be running so fast from this place, it'll make our feet hurt!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What level are you on? Upper levels are gonna be hotter.

Is yours the only unit that is running hot? Find out from neighbors what they're experiencing.

It's HOT out, and that's probably most of it. I wouldn't be asking the A/C to do something it can't though. Turn the thermostat back up and buy a few box fans and set them in convenient locations.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    2nd floor. Our neighbors below us moved out three months ago, and i think they left the heat on, or forgot to leave the AC at a reasonable level. I'll get in contact with our neighbors tomorrow.

We have cold air coming out of one vent, it's just not helping. Of course the vents are above the windows, too. I'll just have to buy more box fans i guess.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Is it possible to buy a window unit big enough to cool the whole apartment? I don't know if your lease would allow it, but maybe something to look into. If you had a big enough AC, you could just turn the old, inefficient system off.

I've lived in this house for 7 years, and although it has sometimes been a little warmer than I like, this is the first year we've felt it necessary to buy a window unit for part of the house, central unit just can't keep up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The maint. staff in these complexes are not trained in A/C service and most should not be allowed to own a set of gauges. My company was recently contracted to go into a local west side complex and try to straighten out the systems. These guys are not certified and should not be using refrigerant at least at this complex. All they know is if it is not working, throw some gas in it and hope for the best.
    The units sold in the mid-west are good to 90 deg. and then they start to loose efficiency. We usually do not have but a few days over 90. This weather is brutal especially on an old and un-cared for unit. Apt. complexes are notorious for a lack of care for the systems. Luck to you on this. If you are 2nd or 3rd floor it is harder on the units to keep up.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Churchmouse has it nailed, mostly. I used to supervise maintenance staffs at a couple of complexes. They throw those guys into a 2 or 3 hour class to get them certified and let them loose. Ask them about superheat and you get a blank stare.
    Management companies are notorious for not wanting to spend money on HVAC. It is cheaper to have the guys pump some gas into the units than to repair leaks. I quit working for those jokers 3 years ago and started my own business. Now I service apartment complexes and other rental properties, doing the work the maintenance staff can't or won't do. I work my own hours and charge my own prices :rockwoot:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a home in Lafayette. The professionally installed HVAC equipment is in good condition. Since Indiana seldom gets extremely hot for long periods of time, the units are sized smaller. In Texas, this size of house would have about 2 more tons of A/C than I have. Today, the last time the unit shut of was at 7:15 this morning. It could not keep up, right now (10:30 PM) it is down to 77 degrees.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Small window unit in your living room, or bedroom may take the "edge off'" the 90 deg room. A/Cs really worked hard those hot days. Most won't keep up after 2 or 3 in a row 100 deg days. People really don't need an oversized unit to cover 90% of the Indiana weather. Fans are still really cheap air, and at night put it in the window when it's cooler. Shut off the extra heat stuff not used, and use styro foam sheets w/foil over your sliding track door glass. They are a big cooling loss. Don't give up!

Maybe some stretch plastic (used like in winter) may cut the window leakage.
    One apt my wife and I had, leaked air so bad that we made wooden frames, and plexiglass inserts and installed inside the window frames. Big cut in cold drafts!

Also if you have a split level, try to use the upper air return and place a small cardboard piece on the lower return. I would not block if off completely, you need the volume of air. Do you even have an upper high wall return? Old houses/apts may not only for the heating purpose. The high return sucks hot air from the ceiling and helps circulate the air. Road trip to the mall, or Gun store to browse may help. Good Luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse has it nailed, mostly. I used to supervise maintenance staffs at a couple of complexes. They throw those guys into a 2 or 3 hour class to get them certified and let them loose. Ask them about superheat and you get a blank stare.
    Management companies are notorious for not wanting to spend money on HVAC. It is cheaper to have the guys pump some gas into the units than to repair leaks. I quit working for those jokers 3 years ago and started my own business. Now I service apartment complexes and other rental properties, doing the work the maintenance staff can't or won't do. I work my own hours and charge my own prices :rockwoot:

Good on you sir. Do your own thing. If those cats in the maint. staff could do this work they would be rolling in a truck and making our money. Problem is, most do not have valid license or a DUI on their history, no truck for them spanky. Hope you do well.

Top Bottom