• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have seen pictures of side by side or o/u AOW shorty shotguns. They look awesome and may be a purchase in the future. I havent seen much discussion on these firearms. I haven't really had much luck with a site that sells them. Any reccommendations? I like the shorty 870/500 ones too, but would prefer a break open action. Anyone have one? Are they pretty fun? (Kinda rhetorical) :). Any info appreciated!

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    serbu super shortys are FUN. although there is no REAL use for one, you haven't shot at clays until you try with one of those. and honestly, for the price, its not too awful. 5 dollar tax stamps FTW

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I just sent my payment in for a Tac 2 "shotty" built on a Mossberg 500 action, and a 6" barrel. It is available with a longer barrel, but i figured, for a toy, the shorter, the better.
    pix247797234.jpg

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have been pining for a SxS AOW for years. They are few and far between because they must be made from a virgin receiver and those are rare as hen's teeth. I have only ever seen maybe 3 for sale and one was illegal....:twocents:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have been pining for a SxS AOW for years. They are few and far between because they must be made from a virgin receiver and those are rare as hen's teeth. I have only ever seen maybe 3 for sale and one was illegal....:twocents:
    This^^^ Except it doesn't technically have to be a virgin receiver, it just can't ever have had a butt-stock on it. So pistol-grip only or nothing installed are your only options.

You would almost have to talk to a manufacturer to see if they will sell you a shotgun that has never had a buttstock installed. Your best bet on that is a small, custom manufacturer. Small, custom manufacturer = BIG MONEY.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I tried running this down years ago from all angles. The other problem is the affordable SxS's and O/U's are Russian and Turkish and importing one without a stock serves no sporting purpose. In other words the answer is no.

I also had many conversations with people who could potentially make a virgin AK/saiga 12 receiver in the US. That went no where. The guy from Moyock, now in Ohio might be doing it these days, no clue.

You move to a state that allows SBS and you build one and put any stock you want on it. Note that I now live in Wisconsin. Yeah, I got a few projects coming down the pipe. Freedom is expensive.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I tried running this down years ago from all angles. The other problem is the affordable SxS's and O/U's are Russian and Turkish and importing one without a stock serves no sporting purpose. In other words the answer is no.

I also had many conversations with people who could potentially make a virgin AK/saiga 12 receiver in the US. That went no where. The guy from Moyock, now in Ohio might be doing it these days, no clue.

You move to a state that allows SBS and you build one and put any stock you want on it. Note that I now live in Wisconsin. Yeah, I got a few projects coming down the pipe. Freedom is expensive.
    I don't have a Saiga 12 but I would imagine the receiver can't be that much different from a standard AK receiver. Why not just bend up a custom flat and go from there?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

This^^^ Except it doesn't technically have to be a virgin receiver, it just can't ever have had a butt-stock on it. So pistol-grip only or nothing installed are your only options.

You would almost have to talk to a manufacturer to see if they will sell you a shotgun that has never had a buttstock installed. Your best bet on that is a small, custom manufacturer. Small, custom manufacturer = BIG MONEY.

This is a project I've been contemplating starting. But it won't be a short project by any stretch.

The way I'm thinking currently is to purchase an inexpensive SxS with functional external hammers (Norinco, probably), completely disassemble, and copy the receiver while modifying the back end (where the stock would attach) to match S&W N-frame revolvers so that I can get some good grips for it. When I get one done that I think will work, I'll mark it and file the Form 1 for an AOW.
    After approval, I can put it all together and shorten the barrels down to 12".

But I think I'll have to get a machinist to help me, and I'll probably have to get him an FFL because it will really probably end up being mostly him doing it.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    It's a shame someone doesn't jump on this and make up some virgin receivers. I think a lot of people would jump on it! I could be talked into a serbu in about five minutes too, but I'd really like the SxS. I have a bit more saving before I can justify spending any money anyway. Thanks for the replies! I'd like to show up to shoot clay pigeons with one of those just to see the reaction.... :)

Herr Pate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a super shorty in 870. It's tons of fun and super cheap to fire with game loads. You just point and shoot. Put a Hogue Tamer grip on it and recoil is a complete non issue.

Be prepared to wait under the current regime; I bought mine in November 2011 and didn't receive my stamp until May 2012.

A1 entertainment :patriot:

Top Bottom