• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backwoods

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What does it take to build a AOW? I know you have to have a class II build it, but is there 1 way better then another way to do it?

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    You don't need any particular license, but you just need to fill out a Form 1 to Manufacture a Firearm and pay $200 for the AOW tax stamp. Once your paperwork clears, then you can build an AOW as an individual. But what exactly is your question?

Backwoods

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I didn't know that I could build one on my own. The question that I would have is. Do you need to start with a receiver that has not been made into anything yet? (like pistol or rifle) Just a stripped receiver from the factory.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Well it all depends on what you are wanting to do. For example if you took an AR-15 pistol and filled out a Form 1 to put a front vertical grip on it, this would be a legal AOW from what was previously a pistol receiver. If you have more details about your project then I could try my best to provide additional info.

Backwoods

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I was think of a 10 upper on a AR. with a forend grip with a adjustable stock. I just don't want it classified as a SBR. This is a semi auto gun I was thinking about.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I was think of a 10 upper on a AR. with a forend grip with a adjustable stock. I just don't want it classified as a SBR. This is a semi auto gun I was thinking about.

Well, if you take away the adjustable stock, then it would be an AOW. Unfortunately with the configuration you gave, you would have to apply for the SBR registration. If you replace the collapsible stock with a pistol buffer tube, then all the rest of the set up is legal as an AOW.
    Here's what one would look like to be an AOW.
    AR-15AOW.jpg

By the way, why don't you want an SBR, since after all it's the same $200 tax?

Backwoods

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Because I live 10 miles to far to the west. Illinazi. Need I say more. I shoot with alot of guy's from IND. I like this site here because a lot of the people seem down to earth.:thumbsup:

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Because I live 10 miles to far to the west. Illinazi. Need I say more. I shoot with alot of guy's from IND. I like this site here because a lot of the people seem down to earth.:thumbsup:

Okay, I get it now! Yeah I'd definitely recommend the AOW setup for you then. I was under the impression you were going by Indiana law. Late welcome to INGO by the way! :welcome:

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Have a (I forget the correct legal BS name for it), but someone like serbu or someone who manufactures AOWs do your pistol then transfer it to you for $5. Transfer tax on aow's is awesome.

Top Bottom