• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I get them occasionally. I've had an unusually painful one inside my lower lip where my lower teeth irritated it.

I did some research and found somebody claimed that putting alum on it for 60 seconds then rinsing helps them heal faster.

I tried it and it feels MUCH better. But I'm not sure if its better simply due to timing, or whether it truly helped.

Anyone here use alum and can confirm it really does work?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The only thing I've used alum for is playing tricks on other kids when I was in grade school. We would take a pack of gum, unwrap each stick, the moisten them with a little water and sprinkle alum on each one. Let dry, re-wrap and put back in the package. Offer a piece to an unsuspecting kid on the bus and watch their mouth pucker up (and of course there was nothing to drink or rinse their mouth with on the bus). :):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Interesting. I used to get canker sores all the time when I was younger, but in the last 10 - 15 years it's become very rare. Only thing I ever used to do that seemed to work was rinse my mouth out several times a day with salt water. Stung like a bitch, but helped heal the sores. If I ever get another I'll think of these tips.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I find that merthiolate works very well.

I guess I'm happy for you that it has worked out, but BAC is a well-recognized GI and respiratory toxin...killed numerous adults and children, and a few animals. (remember: "EXTERNAL USE ONLY")

Though the solution you're using is pretty dilute, it IS high enough to cause skin sensitization as-is, (and that's on UNbroken skin) ....or do permanent damage internally.

Short version: It's poison. Stop eating it.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I guess I'm happy for you that it has worked out, but BAC is a well-recognized GI and respiratory toxin...killed numerous adults and children, and a few animals. (remember: "EXTERNAL USE ONLY")

Though the solution you're using is pretty dilute, it IS high enough to cause skin sensitization as-is, (and that's on UNbroken skin) ....or do permanent damage internally.

Short version: It's poison. Stop eating it.
    Well that may explain a few of his posts. :p

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had one get really bad a few years ago and made a homemade "magic mouth wash". It is children's liquid be benadryl mixed with Mylanta. It went from being so painful I couldn't eat to almost completely gone overnight
    We prescribe a solution called Mary's Magic at our office that sounds similar. Ours includes some items that are prescription strength and only one or two pharmacies in town will make it now, but patients love it. We use it for various oral infections.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We prescribe a solution called Mary's Magic at our office that sounds similar. Ours includes some items that are prescription strength and only one or two pharmacies in town will make it now, but patients love it. We use it for various oral infections.
    They prescribed that for DoggyMama when she was undergoing radiation on her throat 5 years ago for the sores/burns.

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I used to get canker sores quite often. Someone suggested that drinking sweet acidophilus milk might help.
    It did, so I started taking an acidophilus supplement daily and have not had a sore in a very long time. For someone that gets them frequently, it might be worth trying.

Top Bottom