• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Treel98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2022
    Griffith IN
    Kinda a long shot I suppose but I was wondering if anyone here is particularly knowledgeable in WW2 1911's. I'm very interested in adding one to my collection and I'm wondering what to look out for. I do have several things cover such as the round msh, the short trigger, the longer beavertail the inspectors marks. I'm wondering how to tell if it has been refinished. Also looking for a little more info on some of the markings. If anyone can shed some light for me I'd be forever grateful.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Kinda a long shot I suppose but I was wondering if anyone here is particularly knowledgeable in WW2 1911's. I'm very interested in adding one to my collection and I'm wondering what to look out for. I do have several things cover such as the round msh, the short trigger, the longer beavertail the inspectors marks. I'm wondering how to tell if it has been refinished. Also looking for a little more info on some of the markings. If anyone can shed some light for me I'd be forever grateful.
    Paging the Mouse… Also I bet there might be some one at the CMP store that may be willing to share some knowledge.

Treel98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2022
    Griffith IN
    Paging the Mouse… Also I bet there might be some one at the CMP store that may be willing to share some knowledge.
    Suppose I'd have any luck by calling the CMP store? I've got my eyes on one right now but I'm trying to make sure I got most of my bases covered.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    This website was helpful to me back when I was getting into collecting some of the military 1911a1s:

There are some really good books out there, too: One by Joe Poyer, which is reasonable and available on Amazon and other places. I had another really good one by Charles Clawson, but those are now extremely hard to find and absurdly espensive.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The thing about USGI 1911s is that they can be all over the place in terms of parts fitted. Some that the CMP sold had later slides fit and were really a mish-mash of parts, but they were still USGI. The two that I have are a Remington Rand with a Colt slide and a Colt with an RR slide. The internals on both frames and both slides are correct for that manufacturer but somewhere in the past, they got different slides than they came from the factory with.

I've read that at times, when units would clean batches of 1911s, that they were not picky about how they assembled them from the piles of parts. The patina on my mismatched pair is consistent from gun to gun, so they will stay mismatched.

e67f2db14cb7834385bc1367f13afaac.jpg
    2780769b7c65353770795328779c8e51.jpg

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Just keep your checkbook handy. Lots of info above, and lots of companies making 1911's that are close to WW2 specs.
    if it is a collector model you seek, take your time and learn about them. Read, and even hit up 1911 Forums.
    I 've owned probably 10 different models, and finishes. They all have little issues, but can be workable. Most fired pretty decent if you prep the firearm, and use quality magazines. Ammo quality is most important. Good luck, send pics when you decide.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have been lucky to have gotten one Remington Rand, one Ithaca, my Dads surplus Colt 1911 frame, Colt slide, and my 1915 Colt 1911.
    If only they could talk.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    They can be addicting, and I wish the OP the best of luck in his quest. My last remaining GI gun is a Remington Rand SA arsenal rebuild. The best shooting one I ever had was a beautiful original condition Union Switch & Signal. It was had so much collector value I ended up selling it to a buddy because I almost felt guilty shooting it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    WW2 guns are a big topic, and like 88E30M50 says, most are the product of many guns. My collecting runs up to WW2 but is not inclusive so I'm not much help.

Treel98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2022
    Griffith IN
    The thing about USGI 1911s is that they can be all over the place in terms of parts fitted. Some that the CMP sold had later slides fit and were really a mish-mash of parts, but they were still USGI. The two that I have are a Remington Rand with a Colt slide and a Colt with an RR slide. The internals on both frames and both slides are correct for that manufacturer but somewhere in the past, they got different slides than they came from the factory with.

I've read that at times, when units would clean batches of 1911s, that they were not picky about how they assembled them from the piles of parts. The patina on my mismatched pair is consistent from gun to gun, so they will stay mismatched.

e67f2db14cb7834385bc1367f13afaac.jpg
    2780769b7c65353770795328779c8e51.jpg
    Honestly I would be happy with one that was mix matched. I'm just wanting to make sure that the finish is original and the major parts in it are period correct. The last thing I want is one that has been refinished or sportserised, I found a few online that look pretty correct, the serial numbers are correct, the proof marks on the frame and slide are correct, the arsenal inspectors mark is there and correct, as well as the markings on the barrel.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Honestly I would be happy with one that was mix matched. I'm just wanting to make sure that the finish is original and the major parts in it are period correct. The last thing I want is one that has been refinished or sportserised, I found a few online that look pretty correct, the serial numbers are correct, the proof marks on the frame and slide are correct, the arsenal inspectors mark is there and correct, as well as the markings on the barrel.
    A few things to look for when evaluating the finish:

Look very, very closely at the markings. When originally applied they were crisp and clean. If they are washed out with rounded edges then the gun was polished when it was refinished.

The finish on the parts should be a relatively close match, but should also show signs of wear. The newest of the WWII guns are around 80 years old, so if the finish looks new it probably is. Even an old finish that is still in great shape will show quite a lot of color variation if you look at it with a magnifying glass, it is only with the naked eye that it looks more uniform. A new finish looks uniform with a magnifying glass. Considering what you said you want though, you should expect to get one that shows a fair amount of wear to the naked eye unless you want to break the bank.

The original parkerized finish took on a greenish tint as it absorbed oils over the years. Newer finishes tend to lack that. Looking at a lot of examples will help you get used to it.

Also consider that the pistols made before WWII were often refurbished and then reissued for WWII, so early guns and parts are still correct for WWII even if they are refinished or mix-masters.

And since a thread is worthless without pics, here is my example of a 1913 made pistol that was refinished at Springfield Armory before WWII. It's not pretty, but I love it. It also gives you an idea of what a really old refinish with a lot of honest wear looks like. Hope this helps, and good luck!

01.jpg
    02.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Just don’t get the one Pvt. Webster used in B.O.B. His WW2 1911 had a white dot rear sight……no I don’t have a screen shot of it, just noticed it the 10 times I’ve watched it….

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    OP- that Ithaca looks good to me. It may or may not have a mix of small parts from different 1911 manufacturers, like a ton of these guns do. Some of the books or that website I posted can give you more info on that.

Unless you are in the market for a true collector (if so, get that wallet out!), as you noted, most true GI guns ended up becoming mixmasters just by virtue of armorers and troops swapping out small parts without a second thought during the service life of the gun. Just like with M1 carbines. Probably foxhole buddies stripped down their 1911s and even swapped whole slide assemblies when putting them back together and never thought anything about it. I think it adds to the true historical character of these old guns.

A true GI gun is much more likely to be a mixmaster instead of the very pricey all-matching collector guns that either saw very little use in military service or were painstakingly rebuilt to become all-matching specimens for collecting purposes.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Just don’t get the one Pvt. Webster used in B.O.B. His WW2 1911 had a white dot rear sight……no I don’t have a screen shot of it, just noticed it the 10 times I’ve watched it….
    I just noticed that same scene with the white dot sights last weekend. Thought I was seeing things.

Top Bottom