• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    A private sale, involving a machinegun? I know, fill out the forms, send them in w/ my $200, but what about the gun? I assume that it stays w/ the seller until my stamp is sent from ATF, correct? I also assume that the stamp will be sent to the seller & they will have to notify me upon its arrival, too. I know that is how it worked when going through a dealer do it should be the same for a private sale to. Anyone ever transfer one this way?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I believe you have to transfer this through a dealer. If my research is correct, you have to transfer the item to a class 3 dealer (+200 and time), then they can transfer it to you (+200 and more time). So you have to transfer it twice.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I know that is the procedure if the two parties live in different states, but I don't believe one need go through a dealer if both parties are from the same state.

SCriswell

Plinker
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You do not have to transfer it thru a dealer. You file teh transfer paperwork thru ATF and you maintian possession of the weapon until the new paperwork is issued. ATF should send the new paperwork to you, and then you give it to the new owner with the weapon.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    A private sale, involving a machinegun? I know, fill out the forms, send them in w/ my $200, but what about the gun? I assume that it stays w/ the seller until my stamp is sent from ATF, correct? I also assume that the stamp will be sent to the seller & they will have to notify me upon its arrival, too. I know that is how it worked when going through a dealer do it should be the same for a private sale to. Anyone ever transfer one this way?

Your assumptions are correct.
    If the buyer and seller are in the same state, there is no dealer involvement.
    The seller will retain the weapon until the form4 is approved.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    A lot! Working, scheduling UT classes, reserve leo stuff.

If you mean regarding the NFA world, well, I got a line on a full auto for a really good price (has to be if I'm even thinking about it!). It's not exactly what I want, but @ the price I can get it for, I can't hardly pass it up.:D

You?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    You do not have to transfer it thru a dealer. You file teh transfer paperwork thru ATF and you maintian possession of the weapon until the new paperwork is issued. ATF should send the new paperwork to you, and then you give it to the new owner with the weapon.

WTF are you smoking? You just stated you take the MG and then wait for the paperwork?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Ooooh it's been heavily edited. I see now...

Sorry for the confusion. I'm so friggin wired today. AutoCAD has been crashing all week and I'm losing tons of busy work that I didn't want to do in the first place!

Sorry guys!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy

Sorry for the confusion. I'm so friggin wired today. AutoCAD has been crashing all week and I'm losing tons of busy work that I didn't want to do in the first place!

Sorry guys!

No worries, we all have bad days.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Heavily edited? No, it was written exactly like that when I read it earlier this morning (prior to your original post). I don't mean to be technical, but it just seemed like you were trying to lay the blame on him for posting something then changing it when I don't believe he did.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Ok sorry. I probably just read it wrong. I took it that he was the buyer and looking to hold the MG himself.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    If you are purchasing a MG in state you will,

Pay the price to current owner.
    Fill out all forms in duplicate, including finger print and confirmation form. I do trips, and keep one just in case. Be sure the current owner signs his name. Do not forget to put the passport size pic on the back. 2x2 works good.
    Take the forms to your local PD. Get approved by your local PD and fingerprinted.
    Express Mail the completed form and a money order for $200.00 to your new best friend at the BATFE.
    Wait 30 to 120 days. In the mean time, the current owner retains possession of the gun. At least the registered receiver. You can take all parts, but not the part that is registered.
    The papers will be mailed back to the now former owner. He will call you the day they arrive, at least he is supposed to.
    Then it is yours for the taking.
    My last form 4 took 32 days. Guy called me and I thought something was rejected. Sometimes they will surprise you.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I've done it before, it sounds as though both of you are in the same state and your the buyer, complete all the paperwork the same as if buying through a dealer and send it in along with the funds, the seller retains possesion until he receives the approved paperwork back at which time your the legal owner. I might also suggest if at all possible take all parts to the firearm except the receiver, some sellers have been know to "use" the gun while waiting on the transfer.

And when buying direct from an individual no 4473 is required

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Thanks everyone. I guess I was correct in most of my assumptions but wanted confirmation. By the way, it will be a trust doing the buying, so no photos, prints & CLEO sign off. Still too many hoops to jump through to exercize a right, though (in my opinion)!

shootnstuff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    You are correct. The seller must retain the weapon or device untill he recieves the transfer from NFA. It isn't rocket sicence,

Shootnstuff, retired NFA dealer

Top Bottom