• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just wondering we have an older pointer mix . She has always disliked me from day one now 13 years later she is acting like I am her new best friend. Just seems odd for over a decade she would always ignore me etc. Till now I never really cared, I just fed her just like any of the other dogs, made sure needs were met etc. just seems odd that I now have a new best friend.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just wondering we have an older pointer mix . She has always disliked me from day one now 13 years later she is acting like I am her new best friend. Just seems odd for over a decade she would always ignore me etc. Till now I never really cared, I just fed her just like any of the other dogs, made sure needs were met etc. just seems odd that I now have a new best friend.
    Well you know, they say dogs can be a better judge of people than people can, so maybe you just got nicer. ;)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Well you know, they say dogs can be a better judge of people than people can, so maybe you just got nicer. ;)
    No pretty sure that’s not it I was reminded I was well a whole host of things that were not so nice today at work, I am ok with that.

But seriously I have never been not nice to her. Just accepted that she chose her person and I was not it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well maybe she did forget that until now she really has had no use for me?
    Just enjoy your new buddy! :) Our house has become a place for senior pets to come to spend the end of their lives it seems (with some exceptions). But as painful as it is to lose them, I wouldn't deny them the chance to be happy and loved at the end of their lives.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Just enjoy your new buddy! :) Our house has become a place for senior pets to come to spend the end of their lives it seems (with some exceptions). But as painful as it is to lose them, I wouldn't deny them the chance to be happy and loved at the end of their lives.
    Indeed it’s kind of funny to watch Tank try and play with her. All together we have 9 dogs around our place , 5 that are guardians, two from the shelter, and our old lady, and Tank.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Ours too. We are dogless now for the first time in twenty years. We had an old beagle mix, a purebred beagle and an old Jack Russel. Our son tried to leave a kitten but I was going to take it to Webster Lake and fish for muskies. Then he tried to drop a puppy on us. Nope, no way. I'm done.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Having Grown no longer Children and living on a Farm, we had become the family dog or cat depository. Sadly, I've buried more family pets in the last 6 years than I care for. They all lived to be 14+ and 2 to 17+. I'm not big on Euthanasia and if I have to lift, assist, or clean up an accident, I do not mind. And yes a few have gone out in the yard and cannot seem to remember where the front door was, either poor vision or just a mental lapse. Our present dog is about 4 and he will probably be our last and he coexists with our 18 year old last recuse cat. :twocents:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Well, you've posed a very subjective question, and I'm here to give you a very subjective answer.

She is ill. We have 2 seniors in the house, both over 10 years old. Both have had major dental surgery in the past 6 month. If you're that kind of pet owner willing to invest in the cost, the results are pretty amazing. Both dogs act like puppies again in their behavior and appetite.

However, in the process of getting their teeth done, one of them was found to have a blood panel that was concerning. Upon further investigation he was diagnosed with cancer. Through his behavior, the vet has decided that he doesn't know he is sick. During the consultation, the vet explained that when dogs get sick they will let you know in body language that they are sick. That is the message I am sending. There is a reason you are now her bff. Your job is to figure out why.

Enjoy the time with the pup. That's what we've decided to do, until it's time to take action. Good luck.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Well, you've posed a very subjective question, and I'm here to give you a very subjective answer.

She is ill. We have 2 seniors in the house, both over 10 years old. Both have had major dental surgery in the past 6 month. If you're that kind of pet owner willing to invest in the cost, the results are pretty amazing. Both dogs act like puppies again in their behavior and appetite.

However, in the process of getting their teeth done, one of them was found to have a blood panel that was concerning. Upon further investigation he was diagnosed with cancer. Through his behavior, the vet has decided that he doesn't know he is sick. During the consultation, the vet explained that when dogs get sick they will let you know in body language that they are sick. That is the message I am sending. There is a reason you are now her bff. Your job is to figure out why.

Enjoy the time with the pup. That's what we've decided to do, until it's time to take action. Good luck.
    That’s what I was thinking. she eats drinks, has no issue letting us know when she needs to go out side, and plays with Tank.

So yeah carry on .

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Ours too. We are dogless now for the first time in twenty years. We had an old beagle mix, a purebred beagle and an old Jack Russel. Our son tried to leave a kitten but I was going to take it to Webster Lake and fish for muskies. Then he tried to drop a puppy on us. Nope, no way. I'm done.
    We're the same. We lost our two little elderly dogs within 6 weeks of each other year before last. Some days I still come home expecting to hear that bark when I open the door. We've gone through that end-stage with so many dogs, and that nagging question you ask yourself, did I end her life too soon, did I wait and let her suffer too long?

My daughter and son-in-law are both active with a pet rescue in another state and they always send pics of their current foster dog. But I don't see us getting another dog either. I told my daughter "I don't even want the responsibility of a potted plant at this point in my life".

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    yes, we had one go senile. She would beg for food, I would put the food out on the porch, she would eat one bite, walk away and then beg for food again, sometimes 4 times in 10 minutes. The food bowl was on the same spot of the porch for 10 years, and suddenly she forgot where it was. She would also sleep in the middle of the yard, suddenly wake up and have a fight with a dog that was not there. She would forget who my wife was and run away scared. If I was in the yard and the dog woke up, she would charge and attack me, like she did not know who I was. Sometimes she would just lay at the bottom of the stairs and cry for an hour at a time.

The weird thing was, The day I drove her to the farm to put her down, she was happy, playful and affectionate. It was the only time I ever had trouble pulling the trigger.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    yes, we had one go senile. She would beg for food, I would put the food out on the porch, she would eat one bite, walk away and then beg for food again, sometimes 4 times in 10 minutes. The food bowl was on the same spot of the porch for 10 years, and suddenly she forgot where it was. She would also sleep in the middle of the yard, suddenly wake up and have a fight with a dog that was not there. She would forget who my wife was and run away scared. If I was in the yard and the dog woke up, she would charge and attack me, like she did not know who I was. Sometimes she would just lay at the bottom of the stairs and cry for an hour at a time.

The weird thing was, The day I drove her to the farm to put her down, she was happy, playful and affectionate. It was the only time I ever had trouble pulling the trigger.
    Well I guess I will be good with her wanting to be my best friend, Seems like it could be far worse.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    We're the same. We lost our two little elderly dogs within 6 weeks of each other year before last. Some days I still come home expecting to hear that bark when I open the door. We've gone through that end-stage with so many dogs, and that nagging question you ask yourself, did I end her life too soon, did I wait and let her suffer too long?

My daughter and son-in-law are both active with a pet rescue in another state and they always send pics of their current foster dog. But I don't see us getting another dog either. I told my daughter "I don't even want the responsibility of a potted plant at this point in my life".
    I know everyone is different having a dog in your life can do a lot of good.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Honestly, and I feel bad saying this, but when our last shepherd died, it was the most heartbroken time of my life, harder than when my parents passed, or my grandparents. He was epileptic, and didn’t respond to medication, just kept getting worse and having severe seizures, we had to make the decision to have him put down. Our vet, who I have trusted for years, told us we were making the right decision, but it still just crushed me with guilt. That was almost 3 years ago and it still hurts.

We said we would never get another shepherd, but here we are again with an 8 month old crazy boy that does all the German shepherd things that Hoosier did, and has chosen to constantly shadow me wherever I go. I know the day will come, but I will enjoy the time we have together.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Honestly, and I feel bad saying this, but when our last shepherd died, it was the most heartbroken time of my life, harder than when my parents passed, or my grandparents. He was epileptic, and didn’t respond to medication, just kept getting worse and having severe seizures, we had to make the decision to have him put down. Our vet, who I have trusted for years, told us we were making the right decision, but it still just crushed me with guilt. That was almost 3 years ago and it still hurts.

We said we would never get another shepherd, but here we are again with an 8 month old crazy boy that does all the German shepherd things that Hoosier did, and has chosen to constantly shadow me wherever I go. I know the day will come, but I will enjoy the time we have together.
    Very similar situation with our Buster, St Bernard Mix lived to be 13 which is rare for a dog his size. He started having seizures. Our vet had let us know well in advance he was not long for this World. I was about an hour away when my wife sent a text he was having convulsions and it looked like this was it. Up until that time we kept him comfortable until we reached the point where he was suffering. I sent out a text to one of my coworkers and there were 3 units at our house in less than 10 minutes. They took my wife and our son to the vet with Buster. When I arrived it was clear something had to be done. We were all with him in the end.

Knowing we did the right thing did Not make it any easier. Our vet here had Cared for him since we moved to Tennessee, and she was very kind and reassuring. She even made arrangements to have him cremated. Funny every so often we will remember something he did to make our day better.

Firm believer Dogs are one of God’s gifts.

Top Bottom