• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I like the odd guns. I bought the Lifecard and I’d consider this thing too. But not as a GTFOM gun. Just because they amuse me. I’ve had enough martial arts to know that all serious one on one fights between matched opponents end up on the ground and that’s where wrestling knowledge helps. Self defense is multilayered and complex because there are too many variables between number of attackers, conditions, surprise, my own mindset, etc. I mean, I am usually pretty situationally aware, but last week I was dealing with a very intense situation all week and my defenses were a lot lower than usual because life happens. Or maybe I have a cold and am on meds, or whatever.

On the off chance that for some unforeseen reason one of these gimmick guns were the only thing I had with me, their primary use would be at ready when I am at hiding so I deploy it as a prelude to the next phase of my attack to surprise and weaken the opponent.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    FOF training a while back, 4 or 5 years at most and I’ll be 68 next month. Just trying to give an age for a frame of reference.
    I’m 6’2" and 250ish and can do 3 hammer curl sets, 10/50lbs, 10/55lbs and 10/60lbs. 220lb bench press, run on an elliptical, 3 miles in less than 28 minutes. Just trying to give a physique frame of reference.
    Anyway, in the FOF training I was the victim, another jarhead (1/3 my age) was the attacker. He had pistol drawn and pointed at me, mine was holstered and cover garment in place. He demanded my money. I feigned compliance as I got closer trying “nervously” to produce my wallet. As I went to “hand it over”, I dropped it, his eyes followed, I was close enough at that time to grab his pistol slide and pushed it off line with my body while simultaneously drawing my own weapon, single-handedly, clearing my cover garment with a stiff thumb scraping along my belt line and through my ribs. Continuing forward with all my weight, I hit his chest with my shoulder and he began to fall backward. My pistol came on point and I squeezed off three shots point blank. 2 in the chest and one in his arm.

I know it’s anecdotal but, it worked that day in training. Since then, I ALWAYS know my surroundings and stay alert so I don’t end up in a real situation like this. I have no need to be at a gas station in South Bend at 1 in the morning, so, the likelihood of me getting into a real life situation is cut down because I don’t put myself in those kinds/types of situations.
    If I do though, I have at least done some FOF training to help prepare me.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I would never consider a single action revolver for self-defense, especially in such a small caliber. I always wondered why nobody ever produced the Hi Standard double-action derringer when the company went under.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Skip,
    I am your antithesis. 66 years old, 6'0", 220#, and not all muscle. I studied Judo as a youth, and had some basic hand-to-hand experience in the US Army. All well and good, so far. Add about 45 years, I've had two heart attacks and could not (seriously) run 100 yards (at a dead run) if my life literally depended on it. I've wrecked enough motorcycles to have back problems and shoulder repairs. Left arm rotator cuff repairs and completely detached one of the bicep head at the shoulder. Right arm damage to the tune of completely severing 3 of the 4 rotator cuff tendons. I do walk for fitness, and regularly do 3+ miles. COPD from smoking (quit in '86) also limits my endurance. My weight training is limited to 5# dumbbells with which I do rehab type exercises. Just to give a contrast between me and you.

I have to maintain situational awareness. If I don't see it coming, I am screwed. Even a little warning of a second or two helps a lot. If I have to fight, it will be with all the viciousness I can muster. Eyes and jewels are my primary targets. Every effort will be made to blind any attacker, and make sure he is incapable of reproducing.

Now to the point. The best way to win a fight is to not engage in one. More than once, I've noticed situations that MAY have been about to turn ugly. In such situations, I make sure the potential assailants know I have noticed them, and at least think I will not be an easy target. It has been effective so far. My fear is the day it is NOT effective. That day may never come, but if it does, I will have a gun on me somewhere. I hope I am able to deploy effectively.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    In the spirit of "better than nothing", one time I was at a LGS in Kalamazoo, and they had a cardboard box labeled "$1 Knives". They were steak knives you would get from Applebeese or TGI Fridays or something, however they ground off the serrations to where it was pointy and poky, then they ground a quick edge. It was more a prison shiv than a knife.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Skip,
    I am your antithesis. 66 years old, 6'0", 220#, and not all muscle. I studied Judo as a youth, and had some basic hand-to-hand experience in the US Army. All well and good, so far. Add about 45 years, I've had two heart attacks and could not (seriously) run 100 yards (at a dead run) if my life literally depended on it. I've wrecked enough motorcycles to have back problems and shoulder repairs. Left arm rotator cuff repairs and completely detached one of the bicep head at the shoulder. Right arm damage to the tune of completely severing 3 of the 4 rotator cuff tendons. I do walk for fitness, and regularly do 3+ miles. COPD from smoking (quit in '86) also limits my endurance. My weight training is limited to 5# dumbbells with which I do rehab type exercises. Just to give a contrast between me and you.

I have to maintain situational awareness. If I don't see it coming, I am screwed. Even a little warning of a second or two helps a lot. If I have to fight, it will be with all the viciousness I can muster. Eyes and jewels are my primary targets. Every effort will be made to blind any attacker, and make sure he is incapable of reproducing.

Now to the point. The best way to win a fight is to not engage in one. More than once, I've noticed situations that MAY have been about to turn ugly. In such situations, I make sure the potential assailants know I have noticed them, and at least think I will not be an easy target. It has been effective so far. My fear is the day it is NOT effective. That day may never come, but if it does, I will have a gun on me somewhere. I hope I am able to deploy effectively.
    Understood and it sounds like a great plan for success.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    FOF training a while back, 4 or 5 years at most and I’ll be 68 next month. Just trying to give an age for a frame of reference.
    I’m 6’2" and 250ish and can do 3 hammer curl sets, 10/50lbs, 10/55lbs and 10/60lbs. 220lb bench press, run on an elliptical, 3 miles in less than 28 minutes. Just trying to give a physique frame of reference.
    Anyway, in the FOF training I was the victim, another jarhead (1/3 my age) was the attacker. He had pistol drawn and pointed at me, mine was holstered and cover garment in place. He demanded my money. I feigned compliance as I got closer trying “nervously” to produce my wallet. As I went to “hand it over”, I dropped it, his eyes followed, I was close enough at that time to grab his pistol slide and pushed it off line with my body while simultaneously drawing my own weapon, single-handedly, clearing my cover garment with a stiff thumb scraping along my belt line and through my ribs. Continuing forward with all my weight, I hit his chest with my shoulder and he began to fall backward. My pistol came on point and I squeezed off three shots point blank. 2 in the chest and one in his arm.

I know it’s anecdotal but, it worked that day in training. Since then, I ALWAYS know my surroundings and stay alert so I don’t end up in a real situation like this. I have no need to be at a gas station in South Bend at 1 in the morning, so, the likelihood of me getting into a real life situation is cut down because I don’t put myself in those kinds/types of situations.

I was in FOF training with a gent that was 78. He was no where near your shape, just a small feeble looking old man. That said, he did fine deflecting reaches of all sorts, including those with a weapon. Arm bars and the like were doable for the gent, as were pushing off and tripping attackers away to gain distance. The gent even disarmed the young attacker a time or two.

Attackers with a mindset of besting old people, are really put off quickly by an old person that knowledgably fights them off.

Icing on the cake of having even a dab of knowledge of FOF is that often the person carries themselves better. When you don't look like a victim, often you will not be attacked.

:boxing:

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

but I bet your firearm wasn't a single-action revolver, folded-in-half, buried backwards in your pocket.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Lulz.

Serious question: If you need someone to "get off you", are you going to be able to deploy, unfold, thumb cock, and fire this thing? Then hope a .22 from a super snubby gets their attention?

I'd 100% carry a small fixed blade before even considering this. And at $500 shipped. :lmfao:

A Taurus Judge in J frame is much better.....:)

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    No real world experience other than grand jury duty and seeing the results of a "get off me gun".
    Dude was in bed, brother came on top of him to beat the :poop: out of him.
    Dude had a .380 under his pillow, pulled it out and shot brother once and got up to run.
    Brother's blood trail followed dude through the basement then to the top of the stairs before
    he expired.
    Wonder how far brother could have run if hit with a 22.
    Curious why his brother attacked him. We get in arguments but not enough to attack him in his bed.

Top Bottom