Anyone ever use the federal 12 gauge short shells?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Havent used those, but the Aguila min shells are cool. And since all of the aguilas are all the same length, they make spacers to make pump shotguns cycle them more reliably.

The fact that there are multiple lengths of those shells makes me nervous for use in anything but a single shot/double barrel. I suspect

I managed to bust a flying clay once with a mare's leg AOW SxS using an aguila mini shell. I accepted my luck skill and put the gun away. :):

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My first thought when reading, how is it going to feed. Kept reading, probably won't cycle in autos. Short cycles in a pump. Oh, but if you rack it hard you can feel good about it.

Solution to recoil and capacity. But I have an extended mag and run reduced recoil police slugs.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My first thought when reading, how is it going to feed. Kept reading, probably won't cycle in autos. Short cycles in a pump. Oh, but if you rack it hard you can feel good about it.

Solution to recoil and capacity. But I have an extended mag and run reduced recoil police slugs.
    These gizmos help.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I shot quite a few of these mini-shells and they are fun to shoot. I shot them out of a Remington 870 Wingmaster one by one. Easy shooting shells.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Havent used those, but the Aguila min shells are cool. And since all of the aguilas are all the same length, they make spacers to make pump shotguns cycle them more reliably.

The fact that there are multiple lengths of those shells makes me nervous for use in anything but a single shot/double barrel. I suspect

I managed to bust a flying clay once with a mare's leg AOW SxS using an aguila mini shell. I accepted my luck skill and put the gun away. :):
    Multiple lengths?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Multiple lengths?
    Disregard. I remember seeing some of the examples in the article photo were different lengths. It wasnt until I went back in after seeing your question that I realized they posted two spent shells mixed in and they were roll crimped instead of folded down so it wasnt obvious at first glance.

And I'm familiar with Aguila, which I know are all the same, but it appeared the Federals have different lengths.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Disregard. I remember seeing some of the examples in the article photo were different lengths. It wasnt until I went back in after seeing your question that I realized they posted two spent shells mixed in and they were roll crimped instead of folded down so it wasnt obvious at first glance.

And I'm familiar with Aguila, which I know are all the same, but it appeared the Federals have different lengths.
    IIRC, there is a company making shorty shotshells that are not quite as short as the Aguila/Federal shells which are supposed to feed better. I thought maybe Federal was offering a slightly longer version when I read your comment but didn't see any mention in the article.

Top Bottom