Anyone else sick of 3 dollar + gasoline ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I can remember when gasoline went to $1.00 a gallon if memory serves right when Nixon was in office. ( Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) everyone freaked out then. If my memory is correct the Alaska pipe line was built right after that or at least during the big gas increase. What happened???
    To answer your question yes I am sick of it and I am sick of our Govt allowing it to happen. :twocents:
    When I was dating my wife in 1969 the "Gas Wars" were going on in Ft. Wayne.
    Gas was $.19 per gallon.
    I was working at GE making $4.00 per hour.
    In 1969 1 hr's pay would buy 21 gal of gas.
    At $12.00 per hr wages today that same hour buys less than four gallons of gas.
    Our per dollar buying power is crap today!!! :n00b:

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Just got back from walmart.Bacon was almost 6 dollars a pound and peanut butter was 8.89 for a twin pack. Peanut butter was 6.00 and some change . Not long ago J-Cay had bacon for 2.50 a lb. It getting rediculous.

Two years ago they were giving away milk and grinding up the cows! Hope all enjoyed it while it lasted. Grains (commodities) are high again, gives the processors justification to gouge the consumer more.

I wonder what the retail food prices would be if the government didn't subsidize people with food stamps?

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Eh, I hope it goes up and I probably make less than most everyone on here.

Why would I want it to go up? Because I am sick of people and their land yachts. One person riding around in a Denali or F350 super duty.

I am tired of some idiot with a lifted jeep/truck/suv driving around the streets. Yeah that lift kit you put on looks real cool until you hit someone.

So I say yes to 5 dollar gasoline. I even say yes to 7.50 gas, just so that people will pull their heads out of their collective (insert appropriate word) and drive more along the lines of what they actually need. Because lets face it, most folks won't be buying gas guzzlers when it costs a fortune to get anywhere.

Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    Some of those people need their trucks for work-Farmers, construction workers, etc. Gas may slow whatever economical growth. Hopefully the change in congress will make a difference.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Eh, I hope it goes up and I probably make less than most everyone on here.

Why would I want it to go up? Because I am sick of people and their land yachts. One person riding around in a Denali or F350 super duty.

I am tired of some idiot with a lifted jeep/truck/suv driving around the streets. Yeah that lift kit you put on looks real cool until you hit someone.

So I say yes to 5 dollar gasoline. I even say yes to 7.50 gas, just so that people will pull their heads out of their collective (insert appropriate word) and drive more along the lines of what they actually need. Because lets face it, most folks won't be buying gas guzzlers when it costs a fortune to get anywhere.

Why, exactly, do you care what anyone else drives? I think lime green cars and 28 inch rims look stupid, but if somebody wants to do it then more power to them. If somebody wants to drive a lifted, 4x4 diesel dually that never sees a trailer or a mud bog, then more power to them.

I gave up whining about gas prices long ago when I realized there was nothing I could do to effect the price. Yes, they are screwing us right out in the open but sometimes you have to realize what you can and can't control and let it go. I still have to drive to work tomorrow whether gas is one dollar, or three dollars, or ten dollars, or 20 dollars.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Gas was $.19 per gallon.

If I'm not mistaken, $4 an hour in 1969 was extremely good money. My dad left a job making $1 something and went to Delco starting at $2.60 an hour in the mid to late 60's.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Kirk's Market Thoughts: Gasoline Price Breakdown

Here's a link that shows price breakdowns for a gallon of gas. The line items that include profits total 34 cents on $2.99 gas. Taxes account for 62 cents of that. I'd like to see it broken down further to show what it costs per gallon to satisfy regulations. IE, the EPA, OSHA, etc. Now tell me who's getting rich off of gas? Tell me how I can become a parasite off of an industry and take a 20% cut while doing nothing to help produce their goods but make their jobs even more difficult.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Gas was $.19 per gallon.
    You old fart. ;) The cheapest I remember gas being was riding around with my old man and him paying $0.29 a gallon. And he complained about that. :):

He'd reminisce about paying a buck for 8 gallons. We'll do the same thing one day about $3 per gallon...and our kids will roll their eyes as well.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Kirk's Market Thoughts: Gasoline Price Breakdown

Here's a link that shows price breakdowns for a gallon of gas. The line items that include profits total 34 cents on $2.99 gas. Taxes account for 62 cents of that. I'd like to see it broken down further to show what it costs per gallon to satisfy regulations. IE, the EPA, OSHA, etc. Now tell me who's getting rich off of gas? Tell me how I can become a parasite off of an industry and take a 20% cut while doing nothing to help produce their goods but make their jobs even more difficult.
    While I agree that .gov is getting a large cut...big oil would still be posting record quarterly profits.

I know that's the objective for their share holders...but damn...if I'm going to continue to get screwed by them...I just wish they'd spit on it first once in a while.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    You old fart. ;) The cheapest I remember gas being was riding around with my old man and him paying $0.29 a gallon. And he complained about that. :):

He'd reminisce about paying a buck for 8 gallons. We'll do the same thing one day about $3 per gallon...and our kids will roll their eyes as well.
    Yup!!
    That idiot Truman was POTUS when I was born. :noway:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    While I agree that .gov is getting a large cut...big oil would still be posting record quarterly profits.

I know that's the objective for their share holders...but damn...if I'm going to continue to get screwed by them...I just wish they'd spit on it first once in a while.

That's straight from the Class Warfare playbook. Can't you do any better than that?

What is preventing you from starting Public Servant Oil Company to compete with the others and drive down oil prices?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    That's straight from the Class Warfare playbook. Can't you do any better than that?

What is preventing you from starting Public Servant Oil Company to compete with the others and drive down oil prices?

Heh. Market lock. It's the same thing that makes it impossible for just about any average citizen from building an empire in a mature technology. I've run into this several times. Company A won't give you the time of day because you don't have enough product for them to want to deal with, but you can't bootstrap up to get enough product for them to pay attention to you because no one will. Then they say that you need to buy insurance for them to deal with you, but then no insurance company will sell to you at a price comensurate with the risk because you are too small. And then the government steps in with additional regulation/paperwork that you as a small startup company can't deal with because you are too small.

Mature markets suck for the average person. The only real advantage the little guy has is to try to get in early in a developing market.

Getting back to the topic at hand, it IS possible for the little guy to produce his own fuels, but it's going to be impossible to do it for cheaper or less convenient than the established market can do, even with obscene profits thrown in the mix. If I burn 10 gallons of gasoline a week that costs me say $40 and I make $10 an hour, I have to work 4 hours that week to fuel my car. Less for those who make more. I have produced motor fuels: even if you assume that all feedstocks were free, which they aren't, I have to work way more time to produce 10 gallons of fuel.

Me, I'll continue to buy solar panels, heat with wood from my land, and pay more with time and money for my fuels, just so I can thumb my nose as much as I can at those who are dependent on market forces for their prices, especially those who whine about it.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Its a matter of supply and demand. in the 70's there was an "energy crisis", we went from driving Camaros and Mustangs with 4 barrel carbs, to Vegas and Pintos with 1 barrel carbs. Schools and factories turned out every other light, carpooling became commonplace.

The stockpile of oil began to build up, and the oil companies lowered the price of fuel, the big three started building SUV's, we now have more electric gizzmos and toys using elecricity than at any other time.

Its time for a change in our habits, just like our guns and ammo when the horders pushed up demand. Use less price will come down.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Price of food will go up. Last summer I paid $3.30 per hundred pounds for grain for calf feed. Was feeding 100 pounds per day. Last fall, last feed delivery (ton at a time) went to $5.50 a hundred. Now with gasoline spiking, they will charge a surcharge for bulk delivery. My costs will almost double on one item of production. Will be number crunching to see what if anything goes up for my customers. I have been selling freezer beef for $2.00 a pound and the customer pays their processing (because processing can become a big dollar item depending on fancy cuts, how much per package, etc, so instead of trying to determine a profit based on customer wants, they pay this themselves). Generally it costs overall my customers approximately $3.00 a pound for fresh beef. Yes, expensive for hamburger, but dang cheap for top quality steak!
    When you see me in town with my '03 Dodge 4x4 four door truck, look in the bed for the ball, I don't drag my 22' stock trailer or 24' flatbed trailer or the number of hay wagons/gravity wagons, or other items I hook to it daily to town for you to appreciate.
    I think the high gas prices broke the economy last time as it consumed every spare dime people had. I don't have an answer but if it continues to go up, anything they have given for recovery will be lost.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

My funding is a little low this week.

You don't mind paying high fuel prices? It wouldn't bother me as much if they were honest about it. Big oil always has an excuse for rising prices. OPEC, .gov, El Nino...there always seems to be an excuse. But then they consistently post record quarterly profits.

Just be honest about it and tell me..."We're going to be doing you again this month. We're raising the prices and there really isn't anything you can do about it".

Again...I understand profit. I just hate liars. :twocents:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I started driving around 2000. Gas was $0.95 per gallon everywhere. In 10 years it has gone to $3.25 per gallon. You mean to tell me that cost of producing oil has gone up 300%? No, what is happening is EXACTLY what PS is talking about. They are pissing on our back and telling us it's raining.

Our economy is directly related to oil prices. Everything gets shipped. Food, building materials, etc. etc. Less mony in the business' pockets AND less money in the consumer's pockets = bad economy.

Top Bottom