Anyone else move to .40 or .45 for winter carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    No crap I was reading on INGO about a guy who carries a LCP and his backup gun is a S&W .500 really!

Rumor has it CM loves the Glock 21 and is a huge fan of plastic pistols in general!

Last edited:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I switch out year round. Usually carry .40... 9 or .380 depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going. Some days. 357 kframe of I feel like it.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I went from .40 to .45, but not for winter. I’m my opinion .40 is great for all around weather and performance, but for me a sub compact .40 shoots far worse than a full size .45. My changeover was due to the platform and how “accurate” I am with it. I don’t have the resources to get a full frame or compact frame .40, but I have a full frame .45. My option was to carry the 380 that I own or the .45. For me I shoot a .45 slightly better than a blowback 380. Shot placement is king.

williamagipson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2015
    Valparaiso
    Absolutely. I'm not concerned as much about increasing the size of the bullet as I am about increasing the size of the pistol frame. During the summer I carry a Glock 26 inside the waist and a Beretta Nano on the inside of my left ankle when I'm not in shorts. But during the winter I carry a 92fs on the hip with a driver's coat hanging low enough to cover it and if I am in a short jacket I've got a shoulder rig from Stoner Holsters for a FNX 45 Tactical with a Surefire light and two extra magazines. But the holster is pretty squeaky until I get it broken in.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Glock 36 .45 ACP...year round....same holster..
    same position...works for me.

I used to vary it up based on season, activity engaged in, type of clothes, etc...but after discovering the sweetness of the Glock 36 in 2013...I've pretty much just settled-in to that pistol and caliber.

Having CC'd a 5-shot revolver for 10+ years...a 6+1 pistol is just fine for me!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I do more OWB in general during the winter, when I'm out doing stuff by myself and I know my coat probably isn't going to come off.

My OWB carry is either a Tristar T100 or a G23. The Glock wasn't because I have any special affinity for .40, it's just that it was like $300 shipped for a police trade-in. It's purely a function of comfort and what I can get away with in terms of concealment. Theoretical targets are not a factor.

All other situations are either the Shield 9mm or CW380, depending on clothing. Yes, I spent so much money on guns that my gun changes to suit my clothes. :nuts:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Nope, 9mm all year long. If my choice of caliber and load are so bad that I need to switch in the winter, then I probably shouldn’t carry it to begin with. At least that’s the way I see it.

Top Bottom