Anyone else finding Pre-65 Silver Coins in there change?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I went out with my wife and son this evening, and received a 1964 silver quarter back as part of my change. Wooo Hooo! ...add one more to the SHTF pile.

Has any one else out there been seeing pre-65 coins in their change? I guess some people are digging out their old coins since the economy is sucking, don't realize what they have, and are way over paying for things.

Prior to this, I can't remember the last time I'd found one... will definitely be paying close attention in the future.

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    I have a single 1962 dime in my collection.

Well and some wheat pennies, just because they are cool.

I got all excited when I found 14 pre65 nickels in my change bucket until I found out they took the silver out of them a lot earlier.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Yeah! I've found a couple in the drawer where I work. A quarter, a dime and another time I found a war nickel. I immediately bought them out of the drawer. Now I carry change so I can do it again of I find more.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    about six months ago I found a quarter in my drawer, then a dime, and even a nickel like a week later, but haven't found any since, or in the 5 years I worked there previously, but I may have just missed them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    The wife brings some home every once in a while. Working at a bank sure increases your chances. They hand roll all change where she works and not long ago she brought a whole roll of silver dimes. I was dumbfounded! Who in their right mind would turn in a roll of silver for face value paper? She says it happens all the time. Kids raiding granny's stash, relatives die, people just don't look anymore. We have started quite a collection since she started working at the bank.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have a single 1962 dime in my collection.

Well and some wheat pennies, just because they are cool.

I got all excited when I found 14 pre65 nickels in my change bucket until I found out they took the silver out of them a lot earlier.
    I don't think nickels were ever part silver except during WWII, and even then, it's very hard to tell the difference between the silver ones and the nickel ones (they aren't all silver).

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Yeah the P stamped war nickels were what I was referring to.

I diassapointedly learned about them after finding all my 60s. I knew it was strange to have so many randomly.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I find them every great once in a while, maybe 1 per year.

My wife works in a pharmacy and I try to get here to go through her change each day but I dont think she has shown much interest.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    A vending customer in Indy finds up to a dozen or more a day when they look for them. He pays a bounty to the old ladies in the counting room for each one they find. They are very good at spotting them.

They catch them when they are feeding the coin counters and sorters.

Top Bottom