• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJericho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Has anybody used a Tent Cot, made by Kamp-Rite?
    (Link: Tent Cot by Kamp-Rite)

I was in at the Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and saw it, and the girl really liked the concept. (I grew up camping for 4 weeks+ in the summer on long vacations, she'd never been before I took her). The only thing she didn't like is having to sleep on the ground -- lumpy, rocky, etc. Now, of course we could always bring along a cot or air mattress with the tent, but this sort of combination seems to make sense.

According to a few Amazon reviews they have pretty good customer service. Dunno, I might go ahead and buy one. Hell, if she says something more about it I definitely will -- anything that'll help her enjoy the outdoors more is a good thing in my mind.

Last edited:

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i layed on one.dont remember what store.i have been wanting one for awhile for my bike,for sturgis or?just make her happy

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Looks interesting, but I am curious as to how bulky it is & much it weighs.

Definitely not something your going to throw on your backpack while hiking.

For the original:
    Bed Size: 84"L X 28"W
    Tent Size: 84"L X 28"W X 24"H
    Folded Size: 32"L X 30"W 6"D
    Weight: 19lbs

The Double:
    Bed Size: 84"L X 52"W
    Tent Size: 84"L X 53"W X 40"H
    Folded Size: 53"L X 32"W 9"D
    Weight: 36 lbs

The Oversize:
    Bed Size: 90"L X 32"W
    Tent Size: 90"L X 32"W X 40"H
    Folded Size: 34"L X 34"W 8"D
    Weight: 24 lbs

TJericho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Remember what the price was?

If you're interested in the original the cheapest price I've found is at Amazon, though they've only got two left sold actually from Amazon: Kamp-Rite Tent Cot Original Size Tent Cot (Green): Sports & Outdoors
    Nice thing about that is the free shipping -- everywhere else shipping kills it.

I'm looking for the double though, so doesn't help me much.

It's definitely not something that you should bring backpacking -- but in situations where there'll be a car at or close to the camp site, it actually makes more sense to just have a cot to stretch out on. Personally, I've done a lot of sleeping on picnic tables with a sleeping bag, but that doesn't jive too well with the girl.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I saw one (twin and full sizes) in a catalog. I believe it was Cabellas.
    I would love to have one to keep in my car/truck. I can't remember how much they were, but I don't too expensive.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Man, car-camping usually involves buddies and alcohol. I wouldn't want to the only one with a tent-cot. The potential for being moved or just tipped would be waaaaaay too high.

They do look cool though I hate cots. Backpacking tent and a thermarest? I'm sleeping like a kid in his bed!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    cabela's does sell them. as for me I would like one for I have horrible back problems and it would be nicer than a mat and my bivy shelter.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Yes, looked cool to me. I got in one at GM, not comfortable and I heard something go pop... Overpriced and cheaply made if you ask me. May be adequate if you weigh under 150#.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I heard that some cities are actually passing these out to homeless people to help keep them warm / dry. I would gladly pretend to be homeless for a few days if I could get one for free ;)

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    The Original in the OP's link is going to be absolutely miserable if it rains. That whole design is a fail.

Screw cots with tents, check out Hennessy Hammocks. Store I worked at carried these, I've spent probably 50-60 nights in one, and they pretty much rock.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    One of my buddies bought on of these before a camping trip we went on. He complained about the wait of it while lugging it to camp. In the morning he complained about having a sore back and being completely soaked as I stayed dry in my cheap ol dome tent. I'd say the tent cot ruined his weekend.

Top Bottom