• ...and so much more!
  • lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Update 1-2-11
    Looks like the cold weather is back this week. If anybody even sees anyone playing, I would appreciate the info. Need to skate off about 10 pounds of Christmas piggery. Help me out here boys...thanks.

I'm thinking the ponds are probably frozen, and I'm diein' to find a pick-up game. Anybody looking for another guy? I live in Marshall County, and have next week off, so I would be willing to drive 50+ miles if the ice is good. Will bring my snow shovel, and will even play goalie...ha ha

Last edited:

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    No pond hockey on my pond. It has two very dependable/strong springs that all summer keep the water in that area of the pond amazingly cold. Thus the ice if any, is always weak/weaker in the South end. I ain't afeerd to admit, I is afraid of ice.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm a non-skater otherwise I'd be up for a game. I've played floor hockey and done a bit of fighting on ice so if I could get that skating thing down, I might be ok. On the way up to my last final exam I saw a couple kids playing on a pond in a subdivision by the St. Joe Co. fair grounds.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Picked up my fourth concussion doing that years ago, it's a lot of fun but no thanks.:):

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm thinking the ponds are probably frozen, and I'm diein' to find a pick-up game. Anybody looking for another guy? I live in Marshall County, and have next week off, so I would be willing to drive 50+ miles if the ice is good. Will bring my snow shovel, and will even play goalie...ha ha

Froelich Weihnachten

I'd be game, but I think we are more than 50 miles apart. Also, I believe it is going to start warming up quite a bit, so be careful.

Did you play when you were younger? Did you play goalie?

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    No pond hockey on my pond. It has two very dependable/strong springs that all summer keep the water in that area of the pond amazingly cold. Thus the ice if any, is always weak/weaker in the South end. I ain't afeerd to admit, I is afraid of ice.

Thin ice is scares the s**t out of me too. Nothing like that deep booming noise coming across the ice as you're skating or walking on it to prick your ears up. Thanks for the reply.

I'm a non-skater otherwise I'd be up for a game. I've played floor hockey and done a bit of fighting on ice so if I could get that skating thing down, I might be ok. On the way up to my last final exam I saw a couple kids playing on a pond in a subdivision by the St. Joe Co. fair grounds.

I'd be glad to teach a beginning skater how to fight on skates, if he really wanted me to, but only if he could just barely stand up :):....but seriously, thanks for the intel on the pond sighting. Did the ice look good (smooth)? Any chance of getting an approximate address, Google Earth pic or coords on the pond? Might try to get up there tomorrow. I live in Plymouth too, and have a extra pair of size 9.5 hockey skates and a stick, if you wanted to go.

Picked up my fourth concussion doing that years ago, it's a lot of fun but no thanks.:):
    WOW, 4 concussions playing on the pond, sounds like you boys really play a "old school" game. :stretcher: I've got an old Cooper helmet for ya I'd let go cheep.

I'd be game, but I think we are more than 50 miles apart. Also, I believe it is going to start warming up quite a bit, so be careful.

Did you play when you were younger? Did you play goalie?

Yes, heat on the way...looks like today and early tomorrow morning will be the last good ice for a while.

Grew up in Ft. Wayne(Great hockey town)and played a lot when I was a kid, travel teams between 14 and 17 yo, helped start the South Side High School team the first year of the High School League existence, then mens leagues till 23 or so, with a lot of drop-in and pond hockey every chance I could. But since I moved away I'm lucky to play once or twice a year.

Never got serious about playing goalie, picked up a set of used pads years ago to screw around with and loved to play goalie in drop-in games and on the ponds, but never anything organized.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Grew up in Ft. Wayne(Great hockey town)and played a lot when I was a kid, travel teams between 14 and 17 yo, helped start the South Side High School team the first year of the High School League existence, then mens leagues till 23 or so, with a lot of drop-in and pond hockey every chance I could. But since I moved away I'm lucky to play once or twice a year.

Wow, I grew up on the ice as well, only in the Indy area. I started skating when I was 4, playing from 5 through high school. Travel teams (Racers, Wings, Amateur Ice, Team Indiana, etc.) I remember playing the Ft. Wayne Komets! How old are you? I wonder if we have played against each other? I am 31.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Wow, I grew up on the ice as well, only in the Indy area. I started skating when I was 4, playing from 5 through high school. Travel teams (Racers, Wings, Amateur Ice, Team Indiana, etc.) I remember playing the Ft. Wayne Komets! How old are you? I wonder if we have played against each other? I am 31.

Those are some impressive teams you played on. Tried to google Team Indiana quickly,Indiana State High School Hockey Association Hockey Website Software By GOALLINE.ca and am guessing it's an all Indiana High School All-Star type team? Sounds like your game is about 6 levels above mine in my heyday. I'm 54, so we never crossed paths.

I remember playing a couple games as a midget in the Pepsi Fairgrounds rink and it seemed an ancient, dark and spooky building even back then (1971 +/-), but Indy always had good teams, and were tough to play. As a Komet fan I used to love to hate the Indy Ice (IHL), watched the Racers play a game with Andy Brown in goal without a mask in the arena they tore down downtown. We saw the Indiana Ice play a couple years ago in Conseco and that was a hell of a game. Great play, 4 fights, and they weren't like too many of the NHL fights anymore where they just push, shove, stare down and yap till the linesmen get there, these guys got right after it and the refs let go for a good bit. Need to go again!

If we get some good ice again, and you got a good game going(with enough little kids to bully and hide behind:D), let me know and I might drive down.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The first three weren't from pond hockey, hit with rebar:n00b:, pitched forward off of a horse:n00b:, head first into concrete off the mat while wrestling in high schoo:n00b:l. The fourth was pond hockey, don't remember, just woke up on the ice on my back.:n00b: Went from 18 to 45 without another one until I was pitched off an ATV backwards:n00b:. None since.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Bump

Update 1-2-11
    Looks like the cold weather is back this week. If anybody even sees anyone playing, I would appreciate the info. Need to skate off about 10 pounds of Christmas piggery. Help me out here boys...thanks.

Top Bottom