• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Indiana
    Because that somebody isn’t a fool and doesn’t work for free? Whoever is doing the PDI is somebody you want to be experienced at it, because if they’re not, it’s your ass on the seat (that might not be on it for long)!

Do you do work for free? I sure don’t…
    they pay a tech maybe 20.00/hr, say it takes him 5 hrs so thats 100.00 total labor. "Prep" is several hundred, just another profit margin. Guess Im the only one on this forum that likes to pay as little as I can for something. Guess you just march in a car dealer and pay full msrp, not me, never.

The tech is payed out of the profit from the sale. "DOC FEE" is another one. Oh please, anther maybe 100.00 for them to do the paperwork - rip off.

Then again, I dont buy from LGS either lol.

utl73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Indiana
    The market is more buyer friendly than it has been in a couple years but I dont think youre going to get out of that amount off retail yet unless its a bike that no one wants. I buy a new bike every year, sometimes two or three.

Last edited:

utl73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Indiana
    they pay a tech maybe 20.00/hr, say it takes him 5 hrs so thats 100.00 total labor. "Prep" is several hundred, just another profit margin. Guess Im the only one on this forum that likes to pay as little as I can for something. Guess you just march in a car dealer and pay full msrp, not me, never.

The tech is payed out of the profit from the sale. "DOC FEE" is another one. Oh please, anther maybe 100.00 for them to do the paperwork - rip off.

If the tech is paid 20.00 an hour he has another 55 or 80 in the cost of employing him.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette

Your last sentence, lol. I was going to say the same about vehicles. I’ve never bought one new because I let other people who are bad at math buy new, then I buy it used and save thousands, lol.

I’m not saying that all the taxes and fees are justified. But the PDI fee I will definitely defend for reasons I already stated. I’m sure dealerships charge more than the actual book rate but if they cut that out entirely, that tech has to get paid somewhere so you’d just see it get added elsewhere.

As others have stated, negotiate the OTD price. They’re not likely to waive the fees, but if you can get them to lower the OTD so that it effectively offsets them, it should be all the same to you.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

You should start a small business with those thoughts and go and make a million dollars.
    Then maybe you will grasp the concept of true cost of running a brick and mortar business
    with employees.

Make sure you start with two million.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I assembled new bikes at a Honda/Yamaha dealer in the seventies. The dealer prep charge did not cover labor to do the prep right. I remember coming in one day and seeing twenty Goldwings still in crates that were already sold and they all wanted their bike tomorrow! Took almost two weeks to get them all assembled and ready to go. That was 1975, first year for Goldwings if I remember correctly.
    I didn't know that final assembly was done at any dealership. That is amazing! Is this common for all manufacturers?

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Finally, a truly intelligent response!

After the comment (above), I doubt that you'll receive many more responses. It seemed to me that the people who provided answers in this thread, were both intelligent, and had experience.

My experience with motorcycles told me (after multiple bikes through many decades) that I should gladly pay for dealer assembly on a motorcycle capable of traveling 160 MPH (stock).
    @Frank_N_Stein and I rode our Yamaha sport bikes down many a country road. They didn't fall apart .... we're both still alive to tell our stories.

Good luck, OP. I do hope that you negotiate, and are happy with the final 'deal' on your new bike. Believe me .... I understand the pleasure !

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I didn't know that final assembly was done at any dealership. That is amazing! Is this common for all manufacturers?
    As far as I know it is common. The bikes are crated usually with the front wheel removed to shorten up the size of the crate. Handlebar assembly is sometimes off to narrow the crate as well. Back in the day when I worked at shops the shipping oil was drained and refilled with recommended oil. Adjustment and torque checks were done as well.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    After the comment (above), I doubt that you'll receive many more responses. It seemed to me that the people who provided answers in this thread, were both intelligent, and had experience.

My experience with motorcycles told me (after multiple bikes through many decades) that I should gladly pay for dealer assembly on a motorcycle capable of traveling 160 MPH (stock).
    @Frank_N_Stein and I rode our Yamaha sport bikes down many a country road. They didn't fall apart .... we're both still alive to tell our stories.

Good luck, OP. I do hope that you negotiate, and are happy with the final 'deal' on your new bike. Believe me .... I understand the pleasure !
    I miss having a motorcycle. And those rides.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    As far as I know it is common. The bikes are crated usually with the front wheel removed to shorten up the size of the crate. Handlebar assembly is sometimes off to narrow the crate as well. Back in the day when I worked at shops the shipping oil was drained and refilled with recommended oil. Adjustment and torque checks were done as well.
    I was under the impression that the manufacturers ship parts to the delaerships and all of the assembly/final manufacturing is done in the back at the dealership.

Thanks for the clarification

Top Bottom