Any recommended training videos or books?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Any Recommended YouTube videos or books?

Hey all, I went to my first full Appleseed a couple months back and really loved it, although I didn't do as well as I had hoped. I'm trying to get ready for the next one, but I'm finding I've forgotten a lot of the basic stuff - like how to set up the sling properly and especially how to use the sling properly in the various shooting positions. I want to practice and get better before the next Appleseed, but I don't want to practice the wrong things. Are there any YouTube videos from Appleseed instructors that would go over these things, or even a book or DVD to buy? I'd appreciate any help at all on how to get some remedial training. I can be a slow learner sometimes
    icon_sad.gif
    and my ten year old daughter and I really want to earn that patch together!​

bocefus78

Master
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Any Recommended YouTube videos or books?

Hey all, I went to my first full Appleseed a couple months back and really loved it, although I didn't do as well as I had hoped. I'm trying to get ready for the next one, but I'm finding I've forgotten a lot of the basic stuff - like how to set up the sling properly and especially how to use the sling properly in the various shooting positions. I want to practice and get better before the next Appleseed, but I don't want to practice the wrong things. Are there any YouTube videos from Appleseed instructors that would go over these things, or even a book or DVD to buy? I'd appreciate any help at all on how to get some remedial training. I can be a slow learner sometimes
    icon_sad.gif
    and my ten year old daughter and I really want to earn that patch together!​

Standing uses hasty sling (connected to gun on both ends)

Sitting and prone uses loop sling. Connect sling to gun on the front only. Take your buckle and pull the center section out making your loop. Turn it 90 degrees so the buckle and metal junk is on the outside of your arm. Put it above your bicep and pull tight. Don't forget to make your "hand sandwich" with the hand between the gun and your sling. Make length adjustment so it's taught.

There aren't Vids that I'm aware of but a search for "proper use of gi sling" may yield something.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    There were videos but they were made by the folks who were kicked out for wrongthink. There was even a highly detailed video produced with pretty good production quality for the instructor level but, again, wrongthink and the feels.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    These are two that I've had bookmarked for a while on Youtube that you might enjoy. Not specifically related to AS or Revere's Riders (check them out if you haven't....awesome program!)

The first is actually an old war department training film showing some of the basic points of instruction for the different shooting positions. Cool one that I still watch from time to time. Second is a good one on USGI web sling usage.

https://youtu.be/SVaAmdjQcM8?list=FL_pmzAf0mgC_FqMDoUZGgmg

https://youtu.be/KRPfj-6bRZM?list=FL_pmzAf0mgC_FqMDoUZGgmg

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    You might try this book:

Gun Digest Sooters Guide to Rifle Marksmansip
    Peter Lessler

or, of course, The Art of the Rifle by Cooper

Both are available via Amazon. I have both. In hard and Kindle versions.

Top Bottom