• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I have a Volquartsen 10/22 (1989 Ruger receiver) that I want to have refinished.....DuraCoat or something similar. I prefer to have it done locally rather than pay shipping charges both ways. Has any one had such refinish work done locally, and if so, can you recommend a local company?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    How local? Hoosier Gun Coat is down in Brown County and does a great job.. I don't know if Nash Gunworks (phylodog on INGO) still does coating or not, you'd have to ask..

My .02 - Cerakote > Duracoat. My 10/22 was Cerakoted by a gunsmith buddy in White County (Monticello) and it's held up great. I had HGC do some parts of my revolver and it's just as nice. Duracoat, haven't had as much luck with durability. Maybe I'm just rough on my things, I dunno..

stockmaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    duracoat.

It's a really simple process. You could do it easy.. its hard to get a run with duracoat as long as you prepare the surfaces right.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Sumphead on this forum does it. He's on the west side of Indy. GREAT work, very reasonable. See if you can get on his schedule. :yesway:

Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I am not about to undertake such a task myself; I much prefer the work of a professional. I am not dead set on DuraCoat, but thought I may be able to get the job done locally. I am willing to consider Ion Bond or Black T, as both are located where my business travel will take me within the coming weeks (Cleveland, and Florence, MS).

Does anyone have experience with any of these coatings on their long guns?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It's a really simple process. You could do it easy.. its hard to get a run with duracoat as long as you prepare the surfaces right.

Your surface prep has NO bearing on whether you get runs or not. Surface prep determines longevity, applications determines sheen, and runs. Just how much duracoating have you actually done yourself to give this advice?

I am not about to undertake such a task myself; I much prefer the work of a professional. I am not dead set on DuraCoat, but thought I may be able to get the job done locally. I am willing to consider Ion Bond or Black T, as both are located where my business travel will take me within the coming weeks (Cleveland, and Florence, MS).

Does anyone have experience with any of these coatings on their long guns?

IMO if you are wanting duracoat you should just save some money and buy a high quality engine paint. Otherwise look at cerekote, thats about the closest to a "factory" coating that you can come by w/out spending huge dollars.

Top Bottom