Any plumbers here that work with PEX a lot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you run individually to every fixture just realize that after you take your hot shower when you walk to the sink it's still a 30sec+ wait for hot water there. DAMHIK.

This is where the master bath being directly over the water heater comes in handy. The kids bathrooms? That's their problem.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is where the master bath being directly over the water heater comes in handy. The kids bathrooms? That's their problem.

Yeah, I turn on the shower, go have a cup of coffee first... :coffee: ... read the paper...

My old house had every water user within twelve feet of the heater, all fed from an accessible wet wall, no pipe was hidden.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, I turn on the shower, go have a cup of coffee first... :coffee: ... read the paper...

My old house had every water user within twelve feet of the heater, all fed from an accessible wet wall, no pipe was hidden.

In my old house with 2 baths, the water heater was in a utility closet only a standard 2x4 wall from the master bath. The other bathroom was something like 15 feet away. My current house, as I said, the WH is directly under the master bath and our girls' bathroom is directly over that. The other main floor bathroom and the basement bathroom are about 35 feet away.

My current house, the builder built for himself....which had positives like this...but plenty of negatives as he did some things to suit himself and no one else would want it like that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    With my previous plumbing route, it took about 40 seconds to get hot water to the master bath sink. I will be reducing the length of the run by about 20% and moving from copper to PEX.

It will be interesting to see if I get hot water more quickly.

If I run one line of the manifold hot, the manifold will now be hot. I wonder if it will provide hot water faster if I open another line that is part of that manifold? Maybe not as fast as the old trunk and branch, but close enough? I can't imagine it will take long to clear out 6' of 1/2" PEX.

My basement bathroom is about 10' from the water heater. The hot comes quick to the faucet and shower. For the shower, by the time you turn it on, disrobe and get in, it's hot. For the faucet, it takes about 10 seconds for the water to start coming out warm on it's way to hot.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Our utility room is under the kitchen in the center of the house, hot water comes on pretty quick there. Getting hot water to the north wing is long enough for me to brush my teeth; the south wing probably about the same; to have to do it at every tap becomes an annoyance.

Top Bottom