• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    Just curious. I'll be starting a garden (finally) for herbs and some fresh produce, but out of necessity it will be a bit on the small side. At a bare minimum, I'm aiming for 3 varieties of bell peppers, green beans, and possibly a couple tomato plants, and whatever else I end up having room for.

Anyone else do much in the way of gardening? And if so, what do you have planted?

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I have had really good luck with green peppers, banana peppers, jalapenos, lettuce, tomatos, and brocolli. Next year I plan on doubling the size of my garden. Probably do green beans, snap peas, and onions. I normally overcrowd my space, but miracle grow makes up for it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Ohhhh Ohhh.... I'm your guy! Anyway, you might want to Google 'gardening by the yard' or 'Gardening by the foot'. I've done the gardening by the yard and you get some respectable yeilds for a small plot, especially if you are disciplined and stick to only a few varieties. My only advice to a novice gardener is to not go overboard on the tomato plants.

PS: I do this for a living so feel free to PM me with questions.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I guess you could call what I do gardening. Last summer I had 54 tomato plants, 36 cabbage, Blue lake green beans, peas, potatoes, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet corn, both early and late, strawberries, blackberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, cherries, blueberries, cucumbers…… Well, you get the idea. We buy milk, bread, fruit, and junk food from the store. The rest we keep stored for the hard times to come. Besides there is no substitute for the quality. BTW we've cracked and picked out about 60 pints of hickory nuts from the 2 trees in the yard also.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Last summer I had 54 tomato plants

WOW! *Insert string of explatives* I thought almost everybody planted more tomatos than they want, but wow, you are serious about it.

I havn't had a garden in a long time. 10+ years, which is a relatively long time for me. My crop was popcorn. We'd get enough the year and a little to give away, maybe 4-5 gallons shelled. Had to dry it carefully though. My mom would grow other vegitables. I remember the home made spaghetti sauce was miles above store bought.

I hadn't thought of this in a while, but i can't wait to get my own place and have a garden again. Well, maybe a little more than a garden. I want just enough land to keep a John Deere A or B busy. Just a few of many things on my to-do list...

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    I hadn't thought of this in a while, but i can't wait to get my own place and have a garden again. Well, maybe a little more than a garden. I want just enough land to keep a John Deere A or B busy. Just a few of many things on my to-do list...

Yeah, I'd love to move out to the country again, and have enough land for a serious garden. Plus, it's a heck of a lot quieter without the random sirens, traffic, etc.

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    Ohhhh Ohhh.... I'm your guy! Anyway, you might want to Google 'gardening by the yard' or 'Gardening by the foot'. I've done the gardening by the yard and you get some respectable yeilds for a small plot, especially if you are disciplined and stick to only a few varieties. My only advice to a novice gardener is to not go overboard on the tomato plants.

PS: I do this for a living so feel free to PM me with questions.

I haven't had much experience with really small gardens, so I'll take you up on that come spring.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    We normally have about a quarter acre site plowed up and readied! Sweet corn, tomatoes, green beans, all kinds of peppers and a couple plants of melons. Have been reading some on food dehydration and my mother cans but looking to put some back in case Barack Hussein Obamas big plans to save us does not work out! I am going to try and raise the large pumpkins this year for the grand kids. In the past have had to run a wire (electrified of course) around the garden about 10 inches off the ground. Will drop a black bird in a second and it is funny to watch a rabbit hit it!

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Yeah, I'd love to move out to the country again, and have enough land for a serious garden. Plus, it's a heck of a lot quieter without the random sirens, traffic, etc.

Don't hear a lot of sirens. The dogs hear them off in the distance and put up a howl once in a while. The coyotes pack up and run through the yard at 2 and 3 in the morning some nights resembling sirens. I have to kick the wild turkeys off the hot tub cover on the back porch once in a while. I'd be afraid vegetables grown in the city would taste like, well-----the city.

BTW I'd also be willing to help you get started any way I can. If you're going to start a garden in the spring you need to take a trip to the country and get a load of horse manure now so it can be ready for the spring. No sense in buying chemicals.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    We have a moderate sized garden, almost 2000 square feet. We grow a variety of vegetables. We also have several fruit trees (apples, cherries (sweet & sour), plums, pears), red raspberries, strawberry patch, asparagus patch, grapes, etc.

Top Bottom