• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ranger2k

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Franklin
    I'm somewhat new to guns. Been around them a lot but have never really owned more than one or two at a time, so no expert here. Now that I'm getting back into the swing of things, I'm looking at handguns (semi-auto) and I see that there are specific models labled "left handed".

Is it a "leftie" model because it has Ambidextrous Controls or am I missing something?

What do other left handers do? Choose an ambidextrous model or make do with whatever the gun is that they like/want?

Thanks

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great thread idea Ranger!

My daughter is left-handed / left-eye dominate & I am right-handed / right-eye dominate so I'll be following this thread with great interest.

I have noticed that our Walther P22 is ambi (at least it has safety levers on both sides) & she can shoot her right-handed bolt action albiet a little awkwardly but I will need to learn more about lefty firearms if I am to make things a little easier on her instead of always having her shoot my right-handed stuff.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    FN makes a line of guns with truly ambidextrous controls. CZ is pretty good, as well.

I carry a P220 leftie, and I've learned to manipulate the controls left-handed. After a little practice, it becomes second-nature to operate the mag release button, decocker, and slide stop with the left trigger finger. I can do it without altering my grip on the pistol, and can perform mag changes and clearance drills as fast as righties can. Just a matter of practice.

That being said, proper controls are nice. The FNP-9, FNP-40, and FNP-45 pistols are particularly great for lefties--the only downside being that they are too big to conceal easily.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Great thread idea Ranger!

My daughter is left-handed / left-eye dominate & I am right-handed / right-eye dominate so I'll be following this thread with great interest.

I have noticed that our Walther P22 is ambi (at least it has safety levers on both sides) & she can shoot her right-handed bolt action albiet a little awkwardly but I will need to learn more about lefty firearms if I am to make things a little easier on her instead of always having her shoot my right-handed stuff.

Richard, as a lefty I've found that I can shoot a normal pistol or autoloading rifle with no handicap, but for a bolt action it makes a huge difference. Get your daughter a left-handed bolt gun and don't look back.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    I'm left handed, but shoot handguns either hand. But I carry on my right side as it was always easier to find right handed holsters. After carrying for 30 years I'm just used to it. Now long guns are a different story, I can only shoot left handed.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm a lefty! :rockwoot: I purchased my first handgun almost 2 months ago and was thinking about this same thing. I played with a lot of different models shot friends guns, I fell in love with the G19 right away, and did a lot of other research.

I now have a G19 (no ambi controls). It is actually really easy to just use your trigger finger to push the mag release. If I did have ambi controls it I would still use my trigger finger to release the button. I personally think it is faster, a lot of right handed people agree. I also like it because if I were to use my thumb I have to rotate the grip a little in order for my thumb to reach the mag release.

So in ways I am making due with it, but I like doing it this way at the same time. If I were you I would not worry about ambi controls, and look for the pistol that meets your other needs first IMHO. If you have friends with guns ask I'm sure they will gladly let you borrow, or go shooting with them.

I think I have heard of Franklin but I'm not sure where it is, I would gladly meet you at Jasper Pulaski, or any other shooting range near NW Indiana.

by the way, what are you planning on using the pistol for? SD, target, etc... also get what YOU want, don't let someone talk you into something you don't want.

ranger2k

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Franklin
    Thanks for the input guys - keep it coming :yesway: - as for use - for me it's SD at home and eventually I'd use it as a PC weapon.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    A good ambidextrous gun is the Beretta PX4 It has a slide safety on both sides and all the other controls can be swapped in about 10 mins with some jewelers screwdrivers.

I'm left handed but I've gotten pretty use to living in a right handed world. I often like to amaze my friends by "swapping shoulders" and not losing my group. I think us leftys have a bit of an advantage because we have a lot more motivation to become true ambidextrous shooters.

Last edited:

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I now have a G19 (no ambi controls). It is actually really easy to just use your trigger finger to push the mag release. If I did have ambi controls it I would still use my trigger finger to release the button. I personally think it is faster, a lot of right handed people agree. I also like it because if I were to use my thumb I have to rotate the grip a little in order for my thumb to reach the mag release.

I must have big hands. I had to change out my back straps because my thumb would overlap my mag release and drop out my mag when i fire. now the button sits right at the top of the pad of my thumb, so just a light squeze will work the controls.

I've tried using my index finger (when i switched my controls to lefty and hated it) and it just felt unnatural and almost had to lift my right had of the gun to reach it.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I must have big hands. I had to change out my back straps because my thumb would overlap my mag release and drop out my mag when i fire.

Well that's not really an option with a Glock, I don't think I would anyways cause I like the big grip, and I've never liked pistols with straight grips.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I'm fairly new to world of guns and am a lefty. First off they don't make a lot of South Paw guns. So with that in mind I purchased what I saw that was in my price range and started shooting. (Kel-tec and taurus.) The next realization that I came to was I loose precious time swapping the gun between hands to work the controls. (And it feels dangerous.) So the final conclusion that I came to on the subject was to start drilling with BOTH hands. I now feel very comfortable with my right hand being my dominant hand and as a bonus my left hand can work my back up gun as needed.
    Problem solved.:D

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I am a lefty as well. When I was looking to purchase I looked at the Smith & Wesson M&P series. With just a few changes they can be set up for us lefties. I messed around with them a bit, but having lived in a right handed world, it just seemed backward working the slide from the other side. I ended up getting an XD and it works very well for me. I still carry on the left side, and if you order your holsters online, you should have no problem finding one you like. Forget finding one at a gun show. Your choices will be limited.

edg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    1 o'clock on the 465 dial
    I am a lefty and have gotten use to the mag release etc on the left side. I did purchase an M&P 9 and switched the mag release to the right side but found that memory and practice had me going to the left side...I switched it back and I'm good to go. Though you did not mention revolvers, Charter Arms has one called of all things, the Southpaw. I am looking into to aquiring one soon.

Charter Southpaw #93820

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I adapt to most guns. I built my "Squirrel Sniper" from a Romanian M69 trainer. It is capable of taking squirrel at 100yds or a little over, cleanly, and shoots about half a dime at 50yds.

It has a bolt handle on the right side.

If I am prone, I work the bolt with my right hand, as it's there anyway, helping to support the butt stock. If I'm standing, I work the bolt by reaching over, like that sniper on Saving Private Ryan. It works well and I can stay watching the target using both methods.

I use the same tactic with commercial and military surplus bolt action centerfire rifles.

The SKS is, as of right now, my favorite rifle. Rugged and dependable, all it really needs to serve a southpaw well is an ambi safety, which they do make. The M1 Carbine and M1 Garand are both pretty ambi as well.

When it comes to pistols, however, I seek out revolvers, pistols that come with an ambi setup from the factory, or, more likely, just build my own 1911, starting with the MEU design and modifying it as needed. One spec of the MEU is ambidextrous operation.

For ambi function from the factory, I would choose the Springfield XDM or a Kimber with an ambi safety.

Josh <><

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    I am right handed left eye dominant, and have trained myself to shoot a rifle left handed... depending on the model. I still shoot pistols right handed, but there are quite a few models out there with ambi controls so that shouldn't be much of an issue. Any 1911 can be fitted with an ambi safety quite easily.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You might check out here:

H&A - Login

It's my board, but it's not in competition with this one due to different focus. We have a lefties-only board.

Josh <><

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Shoot left, but am right handed due to the eye thing. I just naturally have always shot that way. I have never bought a left handed gun until last month and I didn't really think about getting it. It was an 870 at an extremely good price so I bought it. I have never tried a bolt action because of it though. I have never really had a problem with any gun, just a little powder occasionally on the cheek or eye, which isn't that big a deal.

Big Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    I'm a leftie and I found the only thing I really wanted was a duel safety. I got a S&W 5906 and I have no problem with the mag release using my left hand.

Top Bottom