Any laws regarding use of force against animals on your property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I look forward to hearing the answer to this question, or being pointed in the right direction to find out the answer. When we first moved into this house a year ago, pit bulls lived next door, and cornered my children on several occasions. It's a moot point now, the dogs are gone, but I've always wondered what my rights would have been.

And just to be clear, I'm not against pit bulls as a breed, so I don't want to start that kind of argument. Any dog can be a threat, what are my rights in handling that threat? My children and I go down in the gorge for walks and runs, and sometimes up on the Cardinal Greenway that runs behind my house, and stray dogs are definitely a concern.

If they corner your kids on your property, shoot them. Your kids lives are in danger. Period.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Back in the 1970's......we wer4e raising hogs on our farm. One morning, when we headed out to do chores (dead of winter), we heard dogs growling and barking, and our hogs were squealing. We ran inside and grabbed every available gun....all 6 of us were armed. We headed to the barn...and started shooting the dogs we saw. We ended up killing 11 of them. About half had collars.

We called the sheriff....they came out and counted the number of dead hogs, photographed it all. All the dogs with collars and ID tags ended up paying us retribution for our lost livestock.

Even family dogs can go feral when they start running in a pack.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Generally, yes Shooting the offending animal is my answer. Not my first answer though, I usually attempt to talk to the owner of said animal and explain if it is found in my yard again I will shoot it.

Discharging a weapon within the city limits of Indianapolis is risky venture at best. I am betting its pretty much the same in any city limits in any state. In a rural area that might be a viable solution but still as you said trying to get along first might be a better answer.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Yes. If you don't want something to come onto your property erect a privacy fence.

If it's THAT big of an issue, what's a grand compared to the potential for maming a child's face and irreparable damage?

You've obviously never met a mauling victim.

I'm not saying the cost of a fence is not worth a child's face or risking a mauling. I'm saying, deal with the offender. Next time the dog comes on the yard, blast him with the bear spray. If that does not deter him and the cops and neighbor refuses to do anything about a loose animal, next time he get shot.

$25 for a can of bear spray and $2.50 for a couple of hollow points. Much better investment than a $1,000 fence. The dog doesn't have any business or right to be on your property. Deal with the dog, not the property. That was my point.

Top Bottom