• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We bought 4 Perception Prescador SOT kayaks a few years ago. Thought it would be a fun family activity but the teenagers are too cool to hang out with the parents. So now me and the wife spend the afternoon together. We usually hit different lakes in the area for leisurely paddles around the lake. We find it fun to check out the million dollar homes and boats in our $450 kayaks. Nice way to get the lake life on the cheap.
    Yeah, truth be told, I'd love to have a 27' or so boat with a few hundred HP onboard. But on the other hand, I kinda like to sneak into those areas that powerboats can't access. Plus, the rivers. :)

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I'm on 2 large kayak groups and 2 area/state kayak groups on facebook. I got kicked off another website for saying their names so would have to send a PM to learn them.
    Our son invited us to go camping at Riverside Resorts, Mammoth Springs, AR on the Spring river. One of the wives would stay at camp to watch the 2 little ones. We rented 4 kayaks for 5 days, $40 per day. That gets you a ride upstream for a 5 mile paddle back to camp. After we got home Academy Sports opened a store near us. They had a $300 kayak on sale for $200. When they checked stock they didn't get them in. They had a $400 kayak for $200, I got 2. I've bought 5 more from auctions, yard sales for $50 to $100. We have 11 kayaks in our family.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm on 2 large kayak groups and 2 area/state kayak groups on facebook. I got kicked off another website for saying their names so would have to send a PM to learn them.
    Our son invited us to go camping at Riverside Resorts, Mammoth Springs, AR on the Spring river. One of the wives would stay at camp to watch the 2 little ones. We rented 4 kayaks for 5 days, $40 per day. That gets you a ride upstream for a 5 mile paddle back to camp. After we got home Academy Sports opened a store near us. They had a $300 kayak on sale for $200. When they checked stock they didn't get them in. They had a $400 kayak for $200, I got 2. I've bought 5 more from auctions, yard sales for $50 to $100. We have 11 kayaks in our family.
    I'm on 4-5 FB kayak groups. I joined them all at the same time. Probably shouldn't have as I can't remember all of them. I am still probably going to join a few more groups and I don't even own one yet, let alone 11!

I am starting to get it though. You really need different style kayaks for different water. I am currently trying to find one that will do different waters but I know that will be a compromise but at least I'll get out on the water.

I'm back to Thatcher Pool tomorrow night for another pool session. It's a good place to pick brains as well as learn something.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are you waiting until next spring to buy?

I'm just a wussy, but when the water gets cold, I'm done with the yak.

Same with spring. I'm not one you'll find on the water early in the year.

Had a buddy turn his row boat over, on a sunny day in October, on Griffy. He thought hypothermia would take him, before he swam the boat to the bank.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Are you waiting until next spring to buy?

I'm just a wussy, but when the water gets cold, I'm done with the yak.

Same with spring. I'm not one you'll find on the water early in the year.

Had a buddy turn his row boat over, on a sunny day in October, on Griffy. He thought hypothermia would take him, before he swam the boat to the bank.
    I may buy one this weekend. It's maybe not THEE boat for me ultimately, but it will give me a chance to see if I really get into it. Most of the dealers out there are saying that I need to order now if I want any kind of chance to have a new one by spring.

The other side of this story is if the country opens back up, it is plausible that all these folks that took to the outdoors will go back to concerts, sporting events, and fancy restaurants. Which could open up the used market to some decent deals.

I'll know more after I take a look at this boat this weekend.

I probably won't venture out this winter but in the future I would consider it with the right gear and some time in the kayak along with other people. I have canoed in waters that hypothermia is a given if you capsize. I don't look for the danger, but I prepare well for it. But I also am not crazy about really cold weather, so it would have to be a warm day.

I have paddled in water that hit ice out just a week before and have scuba dived when there was still snow on the shore and the water was still full of the particulates that are in the ice that melted. The scuba diving was crazy cold. We were good for no more than 15 minute dives. Except for the guy in the dry suit, lol.

bcod151

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    LA PORTE
    I rock a Three waters big fish 120 for a fishing kayak. Really enjoying the stable platform and enough room for gear. Makes for a comfortable day on the water fishing or not.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    My first 2 are Heritage Angler 10 sit in. We use them on flat water while fishing from early spring to late fall. 2 forward rod holders for trolling for crappie. I can dress heavy for cool weather and not worry about getting wet. The rest are sit on's, use them when weather is warm and don't care about getting wet. My Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS has 3 forward rod holders.
    In our state's boating rules, if the watercraft is less the 16 ft a PFD must be worn at all times.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I fish a lot at Sardis lower lake, MS. If I take my boat it takes about 30 minutes to launch and get to the area I want to fish. Have to wear the PFD while under power, I can take it off while trolling.
    I'll park the truck close to the spillway and slide the kayak down the hill and fish the same area as in the boat. I can be on the water in 5 minutes. I fish a 300 yard area most of the time.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I’ve got a variety of experience on kayaks. Where I live now, my backyard butts up to a river. Within 5 miles I can drop kayaks off at 3 different places from there and the current (if there is any) will take us back to our place. I got lucky with that setup. My family of 5 started with sit-in kayaks and they keep you drier, and ride a little nicer, but suck to clean out or wiggle your legs in. We all recently upgraded to sit-on kayaks and everyone seems to like them better although we all admit the sit-in style type seemed to ride better.

For all the extra gear, like life jackets and stuff that’s all a very personal fit type of decision, but I always buy “fishing” style life jackets. The biggest reason is because I carry in my life jacket. The other reason is that I’ve kayaked in open water in Lake Superior around the Isle Royale National Park where if I’d have gotten tossed, I’d have washed up to a cliff shoreline and had no means to get back in my 18’ kayak so I load the pockets with what would get me through a bad night if needed. For no more space than some of that takes up it’s great peace of mind to have, and for sure keep some bug spray handy in one of those pouches. The paddles I don’t get too complicated on and I just buy one that’s nicer than the dirt cheapest thing out there. I’ve heard you can chip up a carbon fiber paddle in shallow rocky areas but people will pay for those to save weight doing the portages.

Another option I haven’t seen mentioned yet is an inflatable pack raft. I have an Alpaca Raft Mule that deflates and will fit into a large Alice backpack with enough room for camping gear for a night. Living so close to water I can hike a few miles, inflate the raft, and then paddle home. Another type of trip that opens up is something like the Manistee River Trail. You can park at the south end. Hike up north 10 miles, camp out, and then paddle your way back to the vehicle with the current fly fishing the whole way back the next day. That’s been on my list for two years now.

Best advice on transporting is planning to buy a trailer. We have a 5x10 utility trailer that’s nothing special, but it’ll hold 4 or 5 kayaks depending on if we take the double or not. A 12’ kayak doesn’t stick out so much that it’s a big deal, but the 14’ double kayak is the max our trailer can handle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Best advice on transporting is planning to buy a trailer. We have a 5x10 utility trailer that’s nothing special, but it’ll hold 4 or 5 kayaks depending on if we take the double or not. A 12’ kayak doesn’t stick out so much that it’s a big deal, but the 14’ double kayak is the max our trailer can handle.
    I'm working on getting a utility trailer and once I do I will build a portable rack for it to haul multiple boats but be able to remove it to haul other stuff. Car top carrying will be temporary for me. It's too pricey to set up and then if you sell the vehicle, you have to buy some of the components again for the next vehicle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm working on getting a utility trailer and once I do I will build a portable rack for it to haul multiple boats but be able to remove it to haul other stuff. Car top carrying will be temporary for me. It's too pricey to set up and then if you sell the vehicle, you have to buy some of the components again for the next vehicle.

I agree. It's easy to sell off a utility trailer if needed. When I first got my utility trailer I had plans to build a rack system in it, but all I've ever done is toss them in and strap them down.

The roof top setups always seem sketchy to me. I don't think they build roofs like they used to, and if they did I'd love to see the days of full roof racks on vehicles again, but I don't think that's happening any time soon.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I agree. It's easy to sell off a utility trailer if needed. When I first got my utility trailer I had plans to build a rack system in it, but all I've ever done is toss them in and strap them down.

The roof top setups always seem sketchy to me. I don't think they build roofs like they used to, and if they did I'd love to see the days of full roof racks on vehicles again, but I don't think that's happening any time soon.
    Actually the roofs on new vehicles are built WAY better than the old ones. Having owned several "vintage" automobiles that for various reasons didn't have a headliner or I found a need to replace a headliner I can attest that they never did "build them like they used to". I've done a couple of headliners on much newer vehicles and the roll over safety standards as well as the complartmentalizaiton of vehicle construction nowadays far exceeds the survivablity stats of vintage vehicles. This video gives great comparisons:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Actually the roofs on new vehicles are built WAY better than the old ones. Having owned several "vintage" automobiles that for various reasons didn't have a headliner or I found a need to replace a headliner I can attest that they never did "build them like they used to". I've done a couple of headliners on much newer vehicles and the roll over safety standards as well as the complartmentalizaiton of vehicle construction nowadays far exceeds the survivablity stats of vintage vehicles. This video gives great comparisons:

Where you may have problems is finding a proper carrier assembly to fit a new car nowadays due to the removal of drip rails which was typically the anchor point on older cars for roof racks, etc.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well that's good news that new cars are tough. I never would have guessed that.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I bought a Perception Pescador Pilot 12 in the beginning of 2018. I don't go out as much as I would like too but it's still nice to have. I got tired of hauling a '98 Lund Angler to the lake and always fishing by myself so I sold it and went the yak route. Plus it was a pain to launch in some of the smaller Greene-Sullivan Lakes. The yak opened up more opportunities for fishing the smaller lakes in the area. I may part with this yak next year as Bonafide is coming out with a pedal version. There are times when I want to stand and fish and with my build/coordination I can't stand and fish in the Pescador. It is possible to stand up but the shaky legs set in real quick. I did wire it up for lights and put a Garmin fish finder on as well.
    ydnS6vm.jpg

HtAkkhk.jpg

6l4lR6Y.jpg

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    This was Labor Day weekend in 2018 pedaling on Airline Lake.
    <div style="padding:56.25% 0 0 0;position:relative;"><iframe src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" title="20180901_093311"></iframe></div><script src="https://player.vimeo.com/api/player.js"></script>

Top Bottom