• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have always loved anything to do with water, though fishing is down the line quite a bit. Powerboating, sailing, scuba, open water swimming, canoeing, water skiing, the list goes on.

Have been in a few kayaks and I really like them so I have decided after wanting one for several years now to pull the trigger and get one.

I have joined several FB groups but thought I'd post here to see if someone else who likes guns also kayaks.

I am doing my requisite research soaking up knowledge looking for opportunities to learn and test drive some models.

Let me know if you are here!

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Depends on what water you're looking at-lakes or rivers? We kayak the rivers around here and stay with the 10', easy to portage and easy to haul.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Time spent on the water is not deducted from your total life allotment.
    I've spent years doing weeklong trips up and down the mid Atlantic States....lots of whitewater.
    Unfortunately Indiana is lacking any serious rapids.
    I'd post pictures but they are all in photo albums ( old school )

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Depends on what water you're looking at-lakes or rivers? We kayak the rivers around here and stay with the 10', easy to portage and easy to haul.
    I'm looking at lakes here and in Michigan when I visit my in-laws. Might even want to venture out into Lake Michigan.

And rivers I'd do, but that would require more planning. I want to stay at Class II rapids max at this point.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have an Dagger Element 11.2 model. Paddled it a lot on the Blue River and on some large lakes around here. A very stable size and tracks well. I am 5'7" and have ranged from 250-275 lbs and it works great. Only problem I have had is there is an aft storage compartment with hatch. The seal on the foam block which separates it from the cockpit has a small leak now. not bad but enough to get seepage from water coming in from the top.

Haven't had it out in years.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I bought one for my son. Found it at Meijer of all places. (special buy in the spring. They only got 2 and havent had any since)

I really like it too. Though If I spend too much time in it, my back hurts. I think its because there is a strap that runs right across the middle of the lumbar and its not padded well enough, so it puts direct pressure on my back and is hard as a rock. Might as well be a 10" strap across my back. But as long as I dont lean back its not bad. But I've spent a bit fishing from it and I enjoyed it. I'd recommend it. Rural king sells them too.

Actually looking at a rooftop mount now so I can take it out to smaller lakes on the fly, even tho its the kid's. RIght now we have it in the fishing boat to transport and he will paddle around and goof off while I fish in my 12' fishing boat.

And if I keep enjoying it, I want to get a pedal kayak. I saw a really cool one that has swim fin type propulsion that if you glide over a log, the fins will fold against the boat. I like that better than the kind that has the propeller.

Last edited:

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    We've had two singles and a tandem for more than twenty years, recreational flat water types. They are plastic, Old Town and Dagger brands. Around here, the launch sites can be pretty rough with gravel, rocks, etc. The plastic has held up well. Not sure how well other materials would hold up over the years. Ours are sit in type. My wife recently was able to use a sit on type, and now she wants one of those because it was easier for here to get in and out.

I would not recommend a tandem. In my experience, everyone wants their own kayak!

Top Bottom