• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I've got a question. I had a back molar ground for a gold crown. They had a problem with the first gold crown not fitting right and had to have another one made. They reglued my temporary crown back on. Last Friday morning at 3 am I woke up to find the temporary crown had come off leaving the ground down tooth/post left uncovered. My dentist wasn't open on Friday and they made me an appointment for Monday at 8:30.

Here's the question, They will have to numb me to clean up around this "tooth" to reglue the temporary crown back on. The gold crown is supposed to be here this week. I'm not looking forward to being numbed tomorrow and then again later when the gold one arrives. I have a habit of using my cheek and tongue as chewing gum when I'm numbed up.:n00b: Prefer to only do this one more time. Can I wait until the gold crown get's here or can the unprotected "tooth" be damaged by acids in food/drinks/etc...? It's been uncovered for 3 days now, and causes me no pain UNLESS I get a cold liquid on the leftside of my mouth or take a deep breath thru my mouth.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not a dentist, but just went through a similar deal before a weekend...

When I asked my dentist, he didn't seem too concerned about drinks, ect... He acted more concerned about the fact the tooth was fragile (from root canal) and I might break it... He also mentioned if left unprotected too long, there might be a risk of what he called "eruption"... Whatever that means...

Gman75

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Boone County
    May be beneficial to seek a same day crown dentist for future work. Numb once and done-you leave with the permanent crown in about 2 hours. You need to be concerned that the gum will grow over a very important part of the crown preparation. Yes, I would recommend replacement of the temporary ASAP. I personally would not see a reason to numb for replacement of the temporary, but every patient is different.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. They didn't do a root canal on this tooth though. The crack in it wasn't that bad, the dentist was able to grind away enough of the tooth to get rid of the crack but enough is left to allow a crown to be put on. I'm with you, don't know what eruption means.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    May be beneficial to seek a same day crown dentist for future work. Numb once and done-you leave with the permanent crown in about 2 hours. You need to be concerned that the gum will grow over a very important part of the crown preparation. Yes, I would recommend replacement of the temporary ASAP. I personally would not see a reason to numb for replacement of the temporary, but every patient is different.

Again thanks for the info. I know when they attempted to pop the temporary off it REALLY lit me up. So I'm sure them having to possibly clean any food particles etc.. out from around the tooth will NOT work without novocaine, and I generally have a pretty high tolerance for pain.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Paging smiledoc

:( doc heard you shouldn't need to be numbed up Monday...

regarding the same day crown thing, it's a Cerac machine, it's a CNC machine for a crown. They take the impression, get out the software, and mill you a crown out of ceramic on the spot. I don't believe the material is as good as a gold one. You likely won't get the same longevity from it as you would a gold. Front teeth I guess ceramic works because you don't chew with the front ones as much. Molars and premolars probably gold for durability. People sometimes don't want the gold tooth because of the cosmetic reasons. They wold rather it look like a tooth (ceramic) with color matching and polishing. My wife is a dentist and she will go gold when she needs one. :twocents:

Last edited:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    :( doc heard you shouldn't need to be numbed up Monday...

regarding the same day crown thing, it's a Cerac machine, it's a CNC machine for a crown. They take the impression, get out the software, and mill you a crown on the spot. I don't believe the material is as good as a gold one. You likely won't get the same longevity from it as you would a gold. My wife is a dentist and she will go gold when she needs one. :twocents:

My dentist prefers gold too. Not sure but I think my dentist uses the Cerac machine to make their temporary crowns. I do remember him talking about such a machine the last time I had a crown put in.

This will be my fifth gold crown, my molars didn't form correctly as a child and had to be drilled and filled so my teeth would "mesh" together correctly. I've told my wife, the first thing you do when I die is get a pair of plyers... no use putting me in the ground with all this gold.:laugh:

Top Bottom