• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I was on Bud's the other day and noticed that they were selling New England Firearms pump shotguns.......

I didn't even know that NEF made pump shotguns. Anyone have experience with these guns that can make some comments? Thanks.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The NEF "Pardner" series pumps are imported from China and are generally based on the Remington 870 design. They will accept some 870 parts and accessories, but the barrel and forearm are different, and the buttstock screw uses Metric threads.

This basic gun has been imported by a number of different outfits under various names; the Century Arms "Hawk" series comes immediately to mind.

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Or you could just buy an 870 and save lots of bad words later.

I'm guessing you have no experience with the pardner pump. I on the other hand, do have alot of experience with it. I do not own one though.

Comparing the Norinco 982 (or the pardner pump) to the express, I would get the pardner. These are great shotguns. The extractor is machined and not MIM (never had problems with either), trigger guard is steel, and the lifter is much better thought out. The receiver is already drilled and tapped. The protector already has quality ghost ring sights installed. Much better recoil pad as well. Reliability is top notch too, and if you do have a problem, H&R will take care of it.
    Just remember that the barrels do not interchange with the 870.

The fact is the Chinese have a track record of making great guns. Sometimes even the copies are better than our own for less money.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'm guessing you have no experience with the pardner pump. I on the other hand, do have alot of experience with it. I do not own one though.

Comparing the Norinco 982 (or the pardner pump) to the express, I would get the pardner. These are great shotguns. The extractor is machined and not MIM (never had problems with either), trigger guard is steel, and the lifter is much better thought out. The receiver is already drilled and tapped. The protector already has quality ghost ring sights installed. Much better recoil pad as well. Reliability is top notch too, and if you do have a problem, H&R will take care of it.
    Just remember that the barrels do not interchange with the 870.

The fact is the Chinese have a track record of making great guns. Sometimes even the copies are better than our own for less money.
    You say a lot for a guy who does not own one so you don't have the experience of time on your side. Yet, you claim to have a lot of experience with it?

I am guessing you and I define "A lot" a lot differently. Some of your "facts" contain no detail at all AKA facts.

One example, drilled and tapped but not to the same dimensions as an 870. You missed that wih all your experience. Cost of aftermarket parts in general is a non issue as most don't fit the gun.

Based on my limited experience with them I would NEVER own one over an 870. There is no compelling reason to do so.

Extractor and trigger guard are non issues. Show me a broken trigger guard from any shotgun, not just an 870.

For the record I have high expectations of my guns.

To the OP, nope, no comments except if money is an issue buy used. Most shotguns have not even been shot 50 times. Better than no gun at all but last on my list behind Remington, Winchester, Browning, Mossberg......even Itahca.

Again, no comment at this time.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i own a pardner pump and love it. it is a little heavier than some of the other pumps in the group of ppl that i shoot with but i am not a sissy either hehehehe. i usually get 19+ while shooting trap have had no issues with it no jams misfires stuck shells nothin like that. i did get a full choke tube for it at dick's for around 16 bux. it came with a modified choke tube and a wrench in which to change choke tubes. imo just as good as some of the 1500 dollar guns

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You say a lot for a guy who does not own one so you don't have the experience of time on your side. Yet, you claim to have a lot of experience with it?

I am guessing you and I define "A lot" a lot differently. Some of your "facts" contain no detail at all AKA facts.

One example, drilled and tapped but not to the same dimensions as an 870. You missed that wih all your experience. Cost of aftermarket parts in general is a non issue as most don't fit the gun.

Based on my limited experience with them I would NEVER own one over an 870. There is no compelling reason to do so.

Extractor and trigger guard are non issues. Show me a broken trigger guard from any shotgun, not just an 870.

For the record I have high expectations of my guns.

To the OP, nope, no comments except if money is an issue buy used. Most shotguns have not even been shot 50 times. Better than no gun at all but last on my list behind Remington, Winchester, Browning, Mossberg......even Itahca.

Again, no comment at this time.

I don't own a pardner pump. I own a Norinco 982 :D and 870 Express. However, I use a 500 most often since it is better set up for clays.

Maybe I should have said stated that most of it was my opinion such as the recoil pad and so on, since I can't really give you hard data or specs. The only thing I said that I don't think is true in my first post is the triggerguard. I put a magnet to it, and I think it is aluminum. I apologize for that.

I am confused about the drill and tap thing. I have a PRI 870 picatinny rail on my 982. I have only seen the 870E tactical model drilled and tapped on the top from factory. Maybe you can enlighten me?

Almost all 870 accessories fit the pardner. Some may need to be modified a little, but nothing major. OP can google if he wants to know more. Depending on what model he gets, it will NOT take remington chokes. It takes winchester or mossberg.

OP, google reviews of the pardner pump/982/Hawk.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    I don't own a pardner pump. I own a Norinco 982 :D and 870 Express. However, I use a 500 most often since it is better set up for clays.

Maybe I should have said stated that most of it was my opinion such as the recoil pad and so on, since I can't really give you hard data or specs. The only thing I said that I don't think is true in my first post is the triggerguard. I put a magnet to it, and I think it is aluminum. I apologize for that.

I am confused about the drill and tap thing. I have a PRI 870 picatinny rail on my 982. I have only seen the 870E tactical model drilled and tapped on the top from factory. Maybe you can enlighten me?

Almost all 870 accessories fit the pardner. Some may need to be modified a little, but nothing major. OP can google if he wants to know more. Depending on what model he gets, it will NOT take remington chokes. It takes winchester or mossberg.

OP, google reviews of the pardner pump/982/Hawk.
    my pardner came factory drilled and tapped on top of the "receiver" i guess you can call it

insomnitec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I was on Bud's the other day and noticed that they were selling New England Firearms pump shotguns.......

I didn't even know that NEF made pump shotguns. Anyone have experience with these guns that can make some comments? Thanks.

I saw a NEF Pardner Protector at Dick's Sporting Goods (in Clarksville, IN) today and I was wondering the same thing. It mainly caught my eye because it had a price tag of $219. Looked pretty nice too. Honestly, if it wasn't for the gun show this coming weekend, I probably would have bought one. Thinking back on it now though, I do agree that a used, well known, reliable brand shotgun would probably be a wiser choice.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I own one and I do enjoy shooting it... It's one of the better shotguns I have had. I replaced the factory stock and front grip with an adjustable stock and pistol grip. It eats pretty much anything and everything you feed it. "ALMOST" all 870 parts will fit it... I attempted to put a rail on the other day but the screws were off a little too much. The adjustable stock hole did not line up with the receiver so I had to redrill the hole. But all around its a pretty nice gun.

:yesway:

insomnitec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I own one and I do enjoy shooting it... It's one of the better shotguns I have had. I replaced the factory stock and front grip with an adjustable stock and pistol grip. It eats pretty much anything and everything you feed it. "ALMOST" all 870 parts will fit it... I attempted to put a rail on the other day but the screws were off a little too much. The adjustable stock hole did not line up with the receiver so I had to redrill the hole. But all around its a pretty nice gun.

:yesway:

Thanks for your input. Nice to hear an opinion from someone who actually owns one.

Top Bottom