• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    That's the biggest straight razor I've ever seen.

I like the jig...or more appropriately, the tilting work rest. That's simple and pretty trick. Most angle jigs I've seen were pretty complicated.

Now for the important question...what grinder is that? I like the VFD mount.

Last edited:

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    That's the biggest straight razor I've ever seen.

I like the jig...or more appropriately, the tilting work rest. That's simple and pretty trick. Most angle jigs I've seen were pretty complicated.

Now for the important question...what grinder is that? I like the VFD mount.

Thanks, its a pheer 327. It was the most economical way for me to get a variable speed 2x72.
    I like it for the most part but realize its limitations and shortcomings vs a KMG or wilmont or one I recently saw over on bladeforums - esteem grinder - that one looks pretty sweet.

First thing that I plan on changing is the 3/8" angle steel that is the platen. It has already started getting gouges in it - I am thinking of getting a pyraceramic platen any experience there?

And the vfd mount is my vise! I got tired of it falling over and mounting on the wall was a little too far of a reach.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My grinder is a Coote, which is a far cry from the Pheer. The platen did start to wear so I bought a piece of glass from USA Knifemaker and JB Welded it on (after welding on a small step to the bottom of the platen for it to rest on in case it comes loose). It is quite the improvement.

It'll be a while before I get another grinder. I want to get a surface grinder and etcher first. Too many cool tools, too little money.

When it does come time, however, the Wilmont LB-1000 will likely be the one (unless I win the lotto, in which I'll get the TAG). I can get it and take it to the local powder coater for not much cash before putting it together. I'd just use the motor off my Coote until can afford a VFD and a three phase motor. Yes, I have this and a million other things I can't really afford already planned out. :laugh:

Last edited:

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    This weekend I had some time to work on the knife.

Finished the blade to 400 grit then roughed it up to 80 under the handle. Epoxied on the handle scales and red liners on with GFlex epoxy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

starting to shape the handle

putting some linseed oil on the handle

big thanks again to warthog the handle is beautiful!

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    Also Mark came down and picked up a harpoon tip I promised him. This one I didnt polish the blade, I just left the dark colored decarb(?) on the blade, we shall see how it holds up.

he wanted black linen micarta and solid pins

I did polish the spine

pictured in bad light with my dads knife.

abusing the blade and making salsa

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    SOOOO many holes in your story Dave. I came up, not down, and I wanted green linen and brass pins but we improvised and were impatient :):

I still am the proud owner of the first Tactical Barnes Knife, take THAT dakrusier!!!!!!!

I'll try and post some pics soon

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    We don't want to see it sitting in your safe! :):

Safes are for rich people, I just throw my stuff everywhere.

Currently it's sitting in the car, it has a week of processing shipping boxes ahead to see how the edge retention is. It's a really nice slasher and stabber

Dave has a few more user pics and a chopping video left

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I'd take a Clip point knife if you have time. :spend:

When you can take some nice shots where I an see the wood or am I confusing the one with the other?
    I am hoping the wood wound up looking nice when it was all done.
    Sometimes you have a nice piece when you start then you wind up sanding and cutting all the grain and figuring off of it and it winds up looking rather plain.
    That happened to me with the latest blade I put a handle on and it sort of ticked me off a bit sine it took me a lot of work to make the hidden tang handle look right and fit the hand well.

Top Bottom