• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Dude walked away from a 130mph total closing speed accident (mother and child doing 55, his speed 75) with some seatbelt bruises and a couple minor cuts.

I am always amazed at this.

Read about a HTV/OWI at .36, ejection from the vehicle and she, the driver, made an impression into a freshly plowed field. Walked to the ambulance.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I am always amazed at this.

Read about a HTV/OWI at .36, ejection from the vehicle and she, the driver, made an impression into a freshly plowed field. Walked to the ambulance.

What saved this guy (probably) was the fact that the entire front end of the car, engine, drivetrain, front wheels, was ripped off and thrown a hundred feet away, absorbing a lot of the energy of the impact for his vehicle.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Mainjet, I think the liberal moral of your experiences should tell you to cut down those trees and install a foam pit! You should not be allowed to own an operate such a drunk driver trap, someone is going to get hurt!!!:):

Thanks for keeping this guy from heading back out into the streets, there is no telling what else might have happened. :+1:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We clear drunk drivers for jail on occasion. Many get empathy from me because they seem like decent people that screwed up. Some are just jerks and get what they deserve. The sad fact though is they probably get pulled over 0.5% of the time they drive drunk.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    We clear drunk drivers for jail on occasion. Many get empathy from me because they seem like decent people that screwed up. Some are just jerks and get what they deserve. The sad fact though is they probably get pulled over 0.5% of the time they drive drunk.

I have some minor sympathy for some youngster who screws up the first time. We're all young and stupid at some point in life, even when it costs someone innocent their life or health.

But I have zero tolerance for repeat offenders. I don't know about most folks, but when I do something stupid that hurts someone else, I try very hard to learn from my mistake and NEVER do it again.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    So what is everyone's criteria for attacking the driver of a wrecked vehicle? Is the smell of alcohol all that is necessary?

Also, do you perform a citizens arrest of anyone who swerves on the road, just in case they might be at .081?

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    So what is everyone's criteria for attacking the driver of a wrecked vehicle? Is the smell of alcohol all that is necessary?

Also, do you perform a citizens arrest of anyone who swerves on the road, just in case they might be at .081?

What is that supposed to mean? Are you suggesting that I attacked him?

I was pleasant to him when I asked him to give me the keys. And as I stated before I would have started to take care of the wounds.

I placed my hands on the keys to take them from the ignition but I could not get them out. He was the one that started trying to pry my hands from the keys so that he could continue attempting to back out and leave the scene.

As soon, as I got the keys I released the man. I did nothing when he was doing nothing. My criteria is this - if you crash into my property, especially with property damage, you are no longer free to go. If your drunk, I'm taking your keys. If you want to fight, so be it. when the cops get there and we are both wrestling around on the ground I feel I have done my job since you are still there.

Not only are my wife and kids out there on the street, so are yours. I'll give some blood to save them.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas

I was pleasant to him when I asked him to give me the keys. And as I stated before I would have started to take care of the wounds.

I placed my hands on the keys to take them from the ignition but I could not get them out. He was the one that started trying to pry my hands from the keys so that he could continue attempting to back out and leave the scene.

As soon, as I got the keys I released the man. I did nothing when he was doing nothing. My criteria is this - if you crash into my property, especially with property damage, you are no longer free to go. If your drunk, I'm taking your keys. If you want to fight, so be it. when the cops get there and we are both wrestling around on the ground I feel I have done my job since you are still there.

Not only are my wife and kids out there on the street, so are yours. I'll give some blood to save them.

I think this means that you physically detained someone, demanded his keys, and tried to destroy his property by breaking the key off in the ignition.

That sounds like I'm against what you did, I'm really not. The point I took from it is that you better be sure of the situation you are in, BEFORE taking that kind of action.

Since this is a gun board, what does everyone think would happen if you had to use deadly force in this situation? What if the guy wasn't legally intoxicated and he pulled a weapon because he thought he was being attacked? Would you be justified shooting him? I appreciate what you did, really... the price for being wrong would be pretty high in my opinion.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

He damaged your property (was it your property or was he on public property?), giving you the right to file a police report and take legal action.

I'm not sure what makes you think you had the right to take his property from him or detain him in any way. If he was still actively damaging it or if you asked him to leave and he wouldn't, then I can see force being necessary.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    He damaged your property (was it your property or was he on public property?), giving you the right to file a police report and take legal action.

I'm not sure what makes you think you had the right to take his property from him or detain him in any way. If he was still actively damaging it or if you asked him to leave and he wouldn't, then I can see force being necessary.

It was my property and my neighbors. It was across the street from my house but my property line is on the other side of the road. He ran into my neighbors fence.

He was attempting to leave the scene if an accident with property damage. He was drinking and I took his keys. When the police arrived they are fully aware that I took his keys from him and we handed them to the police.

I would never ask someone to leave if they had crashed because they were drinking. He was trying to start the vehicle and back out so he could leave. That is why I feel that I had the right to take his keys and detain him. I believe but I am not positive that I could have placed him under citizens arrest. But for some reason I just can't make those words come out of my mouth without sounding like Gomer Pile.

He may have driving while intoxicated on his plate. But as it stands he does not have leveing the scene or possible vehiclular manslaughter because I would not let him leave.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So it wasn't even your property that he damaged?

I think it is obvious where this is going. I totally agree with the actions taken here and would have done this myself even if it was not my property. I would have detained this individual for the authority's to make a decision on his status.
    If he was attempting to leave the scene then it is clear there is either one or all of the following issues, no legal license, no insurance, open warrants, Under the influence. Detaining anyone under these circumstances is a morale obligation to anyone capable. I would not expect my wife to attempt this but she would of me. I have seen more than my fair share of death and injury on the roads due to this kind of self centered ignorance. If I were reaching in and he attempted to pull a weapon see the home invasion thread on close combat tactics. He would fail, I would detain him, he would go to jail. If you are scared, don't attempt this. Concerns over property is minimal in the light of possible loss of life.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    my trees my grass my property. It ws the nieghbors fence which is really on my property. The Neighbor was there also and did not want him leaving.

Do you feel that he was treated unfairly?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I think it is obvious where this is going. I totally agree with the actions taken here and would have done this myself even if it was not my property. I would have detained this individual for the authority's to make a decision on his status.
    If he was attempting to leave the scene then it is clear there is either one or all of the following issues, no legal license, no insurance, open warrants, Under the influence. Detaining anyone under these circumstances is a morale obligation to anyone capable. I would not expect my wife to attempt this but she would of me. I have seen more than my fair share of death and injury on the roads due to this kind of self centered ignorance. If I were reaching in and he attempted to pull a weapon see the home invasion thread on close combat tactics. He would fail, I would detain him, he would go to jail. If you are scared, don't attempt this. Concerns over property is minimal in the light of possible loss of life.

Do you detain teenage girls when you see them texting and driving? Do you rip the keys out of the hands of elderly women who can't see over the steering wheel? Possible loss of life and all that, right?

my trees my grass my property. It ws the nieghbors fence which is really on my property. The Neighbor was there also and did not want him leaving.

Do you feel that he was treated unfairly?

I don't think that fair has anything to do with it. I do think that you have no business confiscating the property of, or physically detaining, a person who is currently committing no crimes against you. He's on your property and trying to leave, let him leave. Get his license plate number, file a complaint, and take him to court for damages to your grass.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Maybe this makes me a coward. But next time a complete stranger of unknown intentions and capabilities puts tire tracks in my grass, you probably won't find me out there trying to carjack him with my child as backup.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Mainjet, I think the liberal moral of your experiences should tell you to cut down those trees and install a foam pit! You should not be allowed to own an operate such a drunk driver trap, someone is going to get hurt!!!:):

Thanks for keeping this guy from heading back out into the streets, there is no telling what else might have happened. :+1:

HAHAHA. Yea, if I had a foam pit then I would probably have people backflipping their dirt bikes in it.

Let's be clear, I do not operate the drunk driver trap. This is a normal road like the rest of you have. Mine just seems to collect them because of the 90 degree turn.:D

After the fence in drop down about 20 feet. Before I lived there somebody missed that turn and jumped their car all the way down there. I think they lived but what a ride:D Now the trees stop them. So the trees actually save lives.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Maybe this makes me a coward. But next time a complete stranger of unknown intentions and capabilities puts tire tracks in my grass, you probably won't find me out there trying to carjack him with my child as backup.

It does not make you a coward it just makes that your decision. I do not think or act for you. I understand and respect your feelings on this matter.

My child is 18 and was there because he wanted to be.

Taking a drunk drivers keys after a crash is so far from carjacking it is not even funny.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    58.jpeg

Mainjet takes his property lines very seriously

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Do you detain teenage girls when you see them texting and driving? Do you rip the keys out of the hands of elderly women who can't see over the steering wheel? Possible loss of life and all that, right?

No I do not. If they crashed while texting I still would not. I also would have enough brains to think that they would not pick their phone back up after the crash and drive off texting. Drunk Driving is a completey different matter from texting. They are both dangerous but in texting you have your physical capabilities intact but you let yourself get distracted. In drunk driving, your physical abilities are so impaired that you cannot control the car even when you want to.

Top Bottom